“We loved it...location was GREAT!”

Travelodge Hotel Downtown Chicago
Ranked #135 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Fort Collins, Colorado
“We loved it...location was GREAT!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2010

We were looking for an inexpensive place to stay in Downtown Chicago for a wedding this summer. The location was great, right off the Magnificent Mile and the service was great too. There was convenient parking right across the street (you almost always have to pay separate for parking but it was very easy to get the car in and out, and we still paid less for the room & parking than we would have spent at another hotel just for the room.) Close for public transport too. It was not an upscale place, but the value was much more inportant to us! Would stay there again!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Green Bay, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

Location was good, a few blocks (walking) from Grant Park. Hotel and room was average. We stayed in a room with 2 double beds. The room was very small. Beds weren't that great. The shower sucked! No water pressure, so it took me 10 mins to rinse shampoo out of my hair. Parking is in a parking lot across the street from the hotel and is $28 per day. The price of the hotel was moderate for downtown Chicago, $154 per night with a AAA discount. But I have stayed in nicer hotels downtown for less.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Niagara Falls, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2010

Was extremely disappointed with this hotel. We stayed there for 4 nights and never had any hot water. When we told reception about this we were told that no else had complained and was never given a resolution. House keeping only came 1 day out of three, I asked reception for clean towels but they never came. Hotel was really old but I expected that from reading other reviews (which I should have listened to). Our room was right next to the air-conditioners which were noisy and made the windows vibrate which made sleep difficult. At the end of our stay when we complained about the above we were basically told that was to bad which is just bad customer service. Hotel was in a good location but I would never stay there again. Otherwise I really enjoyed Chicago.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sim1y

Travelers are raving about these Chicago hotels

Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2010

I stayed at this Travelodge, 65 E.Harrison, Chicago on October 4 & 5, I was supposed to stay one more night but had to leave and pay for another hotel. I was bitten and had swollen red patches on my arm (4-5 areas), my neck, my cheek. They were very itchy, large red blotches, the size of dimes. I had business meetings - what a nightmare. Now I am worried about going home and any bed bugs in my luggage/clothes.

I notified the hotel management and front desk staff. They said they would check into it.

A very old hotel, very old carpets and furnishings.

This hotel is one of the cheapest and often included in Orbitz/Travelocity in a very cheap air+hotel package - but avoid it - please - don't suffer like I did.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Abhay25
TravelodgeChicago, Public Relations Manager at Travelodge Hotel Downtown Chicago, responded to this review, October 18, 2010
Dear Abhay25,

We would like to have more information regarding your issue. To our knowledge, we did not have a bed bug issue during your stay. Please contact our Director of Operations and reference your reservation, so that we may look into this matter further.

We understand the impossible task of assuring that there will never be a case of bed bugs. Recent studies and media investigations have shown that they will never be eradicated due to EPA regulations and the resilience of the species. They have shown that high-end shops and luxury 5 star hotels are just as much at risk as a road-side motel.

We have researched this issue extensively and have procedures in place to assure that if there is an isolated instance, it does not become a bigger, more permanent problem. We have also utilized measures such as; preemptive treatments by an innovative pest control company that researches the newest and best methods in the business, mattress encasements and even certified bug sniffing dogs, to name a few, in an effort to be as proactive as possible toward this nuisance.
Fort Wayne, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2010

Just stayed at this hotel for one night for the I.M.T.S. show and we were impressed. Got to Chicago at 10:00 a.m. and just wanted to check our luggage with a bellman, but they said our room was available and we could check in, after a three and a half hour car ride that is good news. Staff is very freindly and the location is great. We did not live in the room so if you are looking for a clean room, a comfortable bed, and a shower that works this is a good deal!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2010

We booked this hotel because we were on a budget so I was a little nervous about what we would find when we arrived. The hotel was the cheapest in the downtown area, but I was pleasantly surprised by how nice the staff was and how clean the room was. It was a clean, comfortable room and from the moment we checked in to the moment we checked out everyone we encountered on the staff was friendly and helpful. I definitely recommend this hotel to anyone going to Chicago on a budget. There are two restaurants attached to the hotel and convenient access to parking. The hotel is not far from the Red Line making it easy to get anywhere in Chicago quickly. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Seymour, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2010

This hotel was a great value. We were traveling on a tight budget so when we booked this hotel, which was the absolute rock-bottom cheapest we could find, we were expecting to be staying in a dump. But surprisingly the hotel was very nice, clean, and definitely a good value. The room was clean and the staff was friendly. Obviously, this is no 5 star hotel, but for the money it was definitely a good choice.

Tips: Park across the street from the main entrance in the parking garage. The valet will park your car for you. They will give you a ticket that you need to get validated at the hotel. This will save you about $5/day on parking.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple