“Worst Experience of my Life”

Travelodge Hotel Downtown Chicago
Ranked #139 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed November 11, 2013

My first impression of the hotel was outdated and old. When we got into our room there were no blankets on the bed. I got locked into the bathroom the first time we used it. When we called the front desk for help the front desk person laughed at us. Later that night we were locked out of our room for 2-3hours and the front desk told us it was our fault and we wouldn't be able to get into our room until 8am the next day. After almost 2 hours they started to try to fix the door because I wouldn't leave the front desk and was about to call the police. The next day I found out that my friend in the room next door had access to my room because they gave him a master key. While we were leaving we tired his key in 7 other rooms and could have gotten in them. We check out right after i found this out. Poor Service, Lack of amenities. Loud because its next to the L. Will never stay in a Travelodge again!!!

Room Tip: Don't Stay here.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,205)

Reviewed November 11, 2013

The location of this hotel is its main plus. Located close to the loop and 5 minutes walk far from Anish Kapoor's famous "bean artwork". The hotel is simply and good for families. Rooms are big and not too noisy, the hotel staff is friendly and the room-rate compared with other hotels in this area is extremely competitive.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 10, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Everything was fine, but the noise. The stuff was very friendly and inspiring (they recommended many things!), the elevators were not as slow as in the reviews, the location was awesome. My room was clean and comfy, but it was extremely loud. I could hear every whisper of my neighbors, every step at the corridor, there was also some funny noise coming from the pipes. In addition there was only single glazing and there is a railway few meters away from the window, with trains running every few minutes. Luckily I was exhausted every day, so I was able to sleep.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 6, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 6, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I stayed at the Travelodge in September and it is perfect for people looking for a convenient location but don't want to spend $400 a night for a room. Some people leaving these 1-2 star reviews are insufferable. Yes the hotel is old and might have imperfections here and there but in no way is it gross or nasty as some people have said. Clean room and up to my standard of being comfortable to walk barefoot in the room. The staff were all super friendly (except for one person at the front desk, but hey we all have bad days) especially the bell hops. The only thing that prevented me from giving 5 stars was the elevators were super slow. I once timed it took over 3 minutes for an elevator to open. It's a small gripe but it's really no big deal. I would stay here again for another trip to Chicago.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo