“Perfectly fine room”

Travelodge Hotel Downtown Chicago
Ranked #139 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Would definitely not recommend this hotel if you can afford a nicer one downtown. Front desk person was very, very rude which was off-putting right away. The room was fine but it was not the room I reserved, however I was afraid to request a different one because I thought it might take another half-hour. Location/view was nice. Cleaning staff did not replenish shampoos, which seems like a minor detail but was a huge pain once I got in the shower and discovered there was none. Value was good but you get what you pay for I guess. Finally, this is not a reflection on the staff, but this hotel had the slowest elevator I have ever been in!

1  Thank Lucy W
Reviewed April 23, 2013

This hotel was in a perfect location-only a short walk from the conference I was attending. Yes, you can hear the El, but you get used to it after a while. At least I did. It was only a twenty minute subway ride to Midway-very convenient!

For the price, don't expect something luxurious. I found it to be basic, but everything was clean. The service was also good and the staff were helpful.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Shari O

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Like others who read some of the reviews I was a bit anxious before I went and called the hotel to make sure they had a blow dryer in the bathroom and that I could have a room that was not peering into the passing subway train. I got a yes to both questions, packed my bags and headed there.

I was working a trade show at McCormick and the Travelodge was priced well below all of the other hotels I looked at, and is only a couple of miles ($8 taxi ride) from McCormick. I booked a King Suite - which I suggest everyone do, as it is only a few dollars more and you get a lot more space for the money.

When you pay $119+ tax for a room in a town where the averages prices are 25-50% higher, you know there will be some compromises. So, be realistic and don't expect a 5-star place. That's just common sense. The hotel is a little rough around the edges but I found the staff to be extremely helpful and anxious to make my stay a good one. I checked in, took the very slow elevator to the 9th floor and found my suite around the bend (far away from the passing train!). The room reminded me like an old NY apartment I lived in once. High ceilings, older looking, nothing fancy but quite roomy, with a living room w/desk, cut out kitchen area w/coffee maker, fridge and microwave. Bedroom and bath past the alcove and good size.

I did panic when I found no hair dryer in the smallish bathroom but literally within 5 minutes of my phone call to the front desk, one appeared at the door. Very excellent service on everything I needed. There were 2 closets, iron and all amenities including coffee service. The bed was standard, nothing comfortable or uncomfortable - just a regular bed. I love a great feather pillow but that was not going to happen here. It was 3 foam pillows all the way. Not horrible but no bedding luxury here. Just basics.

It took a day to figure out how to shut off the old fashioned heater in the bedroom so my first night I slept with both the air cond. and heater on. Was tropical breezewind! After I figured out the heater even when it was shut off there was a loud clacking sound that went on for a couple of hours during the night. If I was a light sleeper this would have been annoying, but working trade shows tires one out so I got used to it.

The hotel is overall a tremendous value and one I would stay at again for the spaciousness alone. The only downside of the area is that it is a college area and there are literally no good food choices anywhere to be walked to. Fast food abounds and not even that many. So, the area is not so exciting and is dead in the evening, but as for the hotel itself I was more than satisfied and you will also be if you are realistic and understand that for the price this is the cream of the crop. Many of my fellow travelers stayed at Marriott and other hotels, paid $200 and got a small room and had to pay for wifi and everything else there. So, hats off to Travelodge for providing this traveler with excellent service, a safe and clean room and their hospitality!

Room Tip: Take the King Suite and ask for a room on the SIDE OF THE BUILDING away from the train!