“Good for what it is”

Travelodge Hotel Downtown Chicago
Ranked #139 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

It's a budget motel. It ain't the Ritz.
I found a deal on Hotwire. The staff was very friendly. The room was a bit worn, to be sure. Especially the carpet. But it was clean (except for the 3 hairs in the tub- ew!). I had no view but it was roomy-a kitchenette, sitting area, 2 closets.
I have to give it a Very Good rating because it is a great choice if you want to stay downtown on a budget. I was happy to find a clean, safe, comfortable place, in a good location, that I could afford!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,213)

Reviewed September 27, 2012

The room was adequate space. There were no wash cloths for the shower and hand towels had to be used for washing. was unable to open the window due to no screen to keep insects out. I did not go to the ice room on the 12th floor but my wife did. She guesses it was clean but looked like the hotel room. The décor in the room appeared old to the point that it was difficult to tell if it was cleaned. My wife and I did sleep well but my wife noticed a squeaking sound from her bed when she moved. I felt there could have been a continental breakfast since the rooms were $160.00/night. I realize that is less than many of the more updated hotels but it still is a lot for an out of town person not used to the big city. The service was adequate and the person I dealt with at check in was very polite and nice. I was advised on the phone, when I asked about parking, that you had your own parking and I was given the impression that it was free. The stay was only one night and the location was good and we were able for the one evening to walk to many places in the city. It also appears to be in good driving distance for places to see off of lake shore dr. There are many positives and I realize there may not be enough room for improvements with the building's age but updating the décor and furniture inside would, I believe, make it much better. Over all though I could stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
Reviewed September 27, 2012

This was at least our 4th stay. We live in Ks. this time on the web site it said there was a continental breakfast. There was not. That is false advertizing, which was disappointing.. But as you can see, I still rated it a very good hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We traveled to Chicago to catch a Bears game last weekend. Finding affordable lodging that is still reasonably accessible to other tourist attractions can be challenging. While the hotel is an older building, which means the rooms are on the smaller side, we found the hotel to be very clean. Saving money on the hotel allowed us to enjoy spending a little extra on food and other entertainment. The front desk staff were very friendly, too. We will definitely consider staying there again, if and when we get a chance to visit the city again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 24, 2012

While searching for reasonable, downtown lodging in Chicago for a short 3 night Concert trip, we were looking for basically a place to sleep. Having been to Chicago many times, we typically stay at higher end Hotels, but are not snobs. We do not expect much when staying at a Hotel: Friendly staff, clean rooms, quiet rooms and room darkening curtains (that truly keep the room dark) as we like to sleep in.

Upon arriving at the Travelodge at 2:35 PM, we were informed that check ins could not begin until 3:00. This had been stated on the website as well, but most hotels we stay at are flexible. This hotel is not. The bellman was extremely friendly and took our bags so that my partner could go find parking (will be discussed later). So, I sat, along with about 12 other people to wait for the clock to strike 3:00 so we could check in. It was obvious that people were annoyed, but what else could you do?

Once the clock officially struck 3:00 PM, they began checking us in. The couple next to us in line were told they were on the south side and would have a very quiet room. We were given room 711. Not so quiet.

We took the elevators up and upon opening on the 7th floor, we saw that our room was right there, across from the elevators. Having experienced this before, we were ok with it, We have been across from elevators many times and been fine. Not so much this time.

We get in the room and it is small, very bland and dated, but clean. We immediately check the free wi-fi and different from other reviews, it was strong and very speedy. Maybe it depends on the room, but it was free. Nice +. The room felt more like a dorm room, small, window air/heat unit, old TV, nicely updated bathroom, except they placed the towel rack over the toilet and provided no place for soap or shampoo in the shower. Otherwise, nice, clean bathroom. Addition of towel racks would be helpful.

We go out to our concert, come back, and the real faults start to show. We got back at about 3:30 AM. One key already did not work. Decided to deal with that in the morning. Climbed into bed and there were 3 small pads that were considered pillows. At this hour, we have to make due, but disposable was our only thought. Bed was passable, but definitely not comfortable. (I did leave a note on the bed in the morning asking for additional pillows and we got 2 more).

At 8:00 AM the noise started. The maids and hotel staff yell up and down the hall, slam doors, laugh and act like no one can hear them. This is when we realized that the walls and doors are thin AND there is a huge gap under the door that lets sound in. Also, we had turned the air conditioning on before bed and it basically blows the curtains out so you lose any room darkening (which even if the air is turned off, it is more room dimming)

The next night, I used ear plugs and rolled up a towel against the gap at the bottom of the door and it was better, but not great.

Everyday I had to go get a new room key as they would stop working. Was told not to place near credit cards or cell phones, which I obeyed, and still had to get new ones each day.

So here is the overall on this hotel:

Would I stay here again? No
Is is clean: Yes
Is it comfortable: No
Is the staff friendly: Hit and miss
Parking: You can park in the lot across the street, with unlimited in and out, for $35.00 a day
Amenities: NONE
Food: They have 2 restaurants that looked ok, but we didn't try them
Location: Great

Would recommend for younger travelers who are just looking for a cheap, no frills place to stay. For anyone that travels regularly and expects a certain level of quality, avoid at all costs. You get what you pay for and this is a prime example.

If the management of this sees this review, you really need to educate your staff on being respectful of noise levels in the morning. It was insulting.

Buy ear plugs and an eye cover.

Will not be back, but seems like a fine spot for College kids and sports fans in town for a night.

Room Tip: Away from elevators and Ice machine
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I booked this hotel using my Wyndham Reward points and was very happy with it because I saved well over $100 on a particular Saturday night when most other hotels were charging a lot as the city was busy.

We got a massive room with two separate double beds, spacious shower - with two tiny frosted windows overlooking an internal shaft. It would have been very depressing to stay there for longer than just the one night.

The room was clean, however, and the bathroom a very good standard. The location is quite central with restaurants and convenience stores nearby.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I was in town for a conference and every place in town was booked or extremely over priced. I got a reservation here for $149 a night. I had a 1 bedroom suite. It was basic but clean. Staff was friendly. If your looking for a place to stay, the location is great and it is will accomplish a clean place to sleep and shower.

Room Tip: Try to get a higher floor so you don't hear the L
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo