“walking distance from the centre, next to Millenium Park”

Travelodge Hotel Downtown Chicago
Ranked #134 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Poznan, Poland
“walking distance from the centre, next to Millenium Park”
Reviewed December 14, 2011

great value for price and location, we had a double room with quite a small bed. but after a call to the receptionist we got a king size for $10 extra. maybe it wasn't the best hotel in the world, but for that location and price it's really worth staying there. rooms clean, service very good. worth recommending.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Turkish first
Vestavia Hills, Alabama
Reviewed December 7, 2011

As with most hotels, check in time is 3PM, early check in can be as much as an hour earlier, depending on how full they are. When we were checking out, some people were trying to check in at around 11AM, which is around the time when people usually check out, so they were asked to stand aside, albeit a bit rudely IMO. There is also an option of leaving your bags there if you arrive early and would like to go out and explore downtown chicago. Leaving the bags after checking out is also an option if you still have time left to explore downtown. The hotel and most of the stuff around it is old, which adds to it's "character". I don't know how to describe it, but it's borderline seedy. I liked it though, I felt safe because the people who checked in look decent enough. Front desk staff were a bit emotionless, the bellboys were pretty cool though, Humberto was a cool cat. As far as rooms go, we got a room with 2 queen beds. It was pretty spacious, has a digital safe, a bar, microwave, fridge, etc. The view was either the buildings at the back or the L train on harrison street. We got the former, I'd much prefer the latter but got too lazy to request it. Could've got some cool long exposure shots there. Yep, it's near the train, so it can get a bit noisy, even at night. But it's fine, I like it, it lulls me to sleep. Heating was adequate for the size of the room, (despite it being winter) it got a bit hot, but you can open the windows. A note to those with children though, the windows aren't kid friendly. As for the location, you're gonna be right smack in the middle of the loop, which is awesome. Most points of interest are walking distances away. The closest is grant park where The Bean is located. Late night munchies? there's a Dunkin' Donuts across the street and is open 24 hours. On regular hours, there are restaurants at the ground floor. I'd probably stay here again if I visited Chicago.

Room Tip: it's either the buildings at the back or the L train in front.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank digitizedchaos
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 24, 2011

We stayed at the Travelodge on Harrison because it is one block from the start of the Thanksgiving day parade. Great location-- you can easily walk to the parade and back! The staff were very helpful. We asked for a crib and it was delivered immediately. They also let us check in at 10am, even though check in wasn't until 3pm. I don't think this hotel was at all full and seemed mostly to attract foreigners (which was fine by me) This hotel is a great bargain, but does have a few drawbacks. Mainly, the heat is old fashioned radiator heat. When we checked in at 10am, the heat was turned off in the guest rooms (the lobby was warm). When we called the front desk, they told us that they turn the heat on at 6pm or 7pm. It was in the upper 60's in our room during the day. This is not the hotel to hang out in in the daytime. However, when we returned after dinner, the radiators were humming away and the room was toasty warm. That night, there was a very loud noise that happened regularly-- it sounded like trucks driving over something in the garage under the building or in the alley. Also the el is a bit loud if you are not used to it (which we are). The room was clean but appeared a bit dated. However, the size of our room was quite large. We also left our son's blankie in the room and called about an hour later. They found it and kept it for us until we could pick it up a couple hours later.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank jwindmitch
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 24, 2011

The rooms have 90 years worth of repeated coats of paint, the windowsills are covered in a dusty half an inch of paint. The rooms are small and barren, there are NO refrigerators in the rooms. The price is way too expensive for what is offered, you will be like 120 bucks a night after taxes, and MORE on the weekends if there happens to be a conference in town.

The elevators are slow, and if you smoke you are out in the cold literally, on the sidewalk being harrassed by street beggars.

They even told me that Chicago had banned by city ordinance all smoking rooms in hotels. Good thing I didn't listen to these uninformed staff because I googled and then found a better room at the Essex Inn around the corner that has a whole floor dedidated to smokers so obviously there are smoking hotel rooms in Chicago and obviously the misinformed staff at the Travelodge are not worth listening to. I had a way more comfortable stay at the Essex Inn which was only 80 dollars a night compared to the ridiculous 120 at the Travelodge and the rooms are beautiful and well appointed with a refrigerator and fresh ash trays waiting for me.

So rather than smoke out in the street at the Travelodge, for far less money I smoked in the warmth of my lovely room at the Essex. The Essex is orders of magnitude better than the Travelodge.

Do not even bother staying at the Travelodge, it should be closed and demolished. It is a worthless steaming pile of overpriced trash. Just imagine how many other travelers have come to Chicago and stayed for days or more in the Travelodge when they wanted a smoking room but were FALSELY told by the staff that smoking is banned in all Chicago hotel rooms. A true tragedy to ever trust a word they say.

Room Tip: They offer no smoking rooms and lie to you and tell you there are no smoking rooms in any hotel in C...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Solo T

Travelers are raving about these Chicago hotels

Galena, Illinois
Reviewed November 23, 2011

I stayed at the Travelodge in Downtown Chicago on a business trip last week and it was one of the dirtiest, most outdated places I've ever stayed. The carpet in the room was thread bare and looked disgusting as did the upholstery on the furniture. There were no washcloths in the bathroom and no water pressure in the shower. I was almost too afraid to use the bed to sleep in but I eventually succumbed to exhaustion and managed a few hours between the trains and constant people yelling on the street. The bed sheets at least appeared clean although the blanket could have been used to sand wood. Overall one of the worst hotel experiences I've had in my years of travel.

Room Tip: I was on the north west side of the building, right next to the train rails. The south east side ma...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank PatRussell
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed November 23, 2011

I planned a last minute girls weekend to Chicago this month and we decided to stay at the Travelodge. Although I do prefer more upscale hotels, I thought that our stay worked out great. We booked through Hotels.com. Our room was small with a modern bathroom. (No hairdryers in the room, but you can borrow one from the front desk.) The beds were comfortable and the hotel was not noisy. The carpet in the room looked old. The elevators were very slow during busy times. The front desk staff was friendly and gave good advice. The hotel is located within walking distance of the Art Institute, our main destination. it is also fairly close to the subway. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Some rooms have kitchenettes
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I think this hotel is too expensive for what it offers. The outside and lobby look decent, but the rooms need to be updated if they would like to continue charging the rates they do. The room might of been clean, but because of how outdated it looked, it made the overall feeling of the room dirty.

Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends