“Big City...Tiny Hotel Room!”

Travelodge Hotel Downtown Chicago
Ranked #139 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Myself & 3 friends all in our mid 30's stayed at the Travelodge October 14th-17th. We arrived early & the bell man was more than happy to hold our bags while we explored the great city of Chicago & waited for check-in. Normal check-in is @ 3pm, but we were able to get in our room by 2pm. There is a bank of 3 elevators, but 2 were down. However the one that was working was quite quick, and we never had to wait more than a minute or two. When we opened the door we were surprised at how small the room was. But we decided that all we were doing was sleeping & showering there...so as long as the place was clean we had no complaints.

I had heard that there was an issue with "bed bugs" so I inspected the bed, before placing anything on it. I was happy to see that the mattress & box spring looked fairly new, sheets were clean & fresh, and even under the bed was spotless! The bathroom was quite small, but clean, and everything worked well...little more water pressure would have been nice.

The rest of the room could use some updating, paint on the walls, change the artwork & curtains, etc. But that's all esthetics. If you're looking for somewhere to use as a home base, to simply sleep & shower...this location was great. We had no issue with street noise or train traffic. As an added bonus there is Wi-Fi in the hotel & a digital safe in the closet all at no charge.

The staff at the front desk was always helpful with restaurant suggestions. Don't go next door to the cafe. Head south to Wabash & 11th, check out Eleven Diner! FANTASTIC!!! We ate breakfast there every day.

Overall, if you're planning on being out & exploring the city and simply using the room to sleep & shower...this is a great place to stay.

Be sure to check out the Shedd Aquarium & the Science & Industry Museum!

Room Tip: Higher floor, facing east...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,204)

Reviewed October 17, 2011

I was in town for the Chicago Marathon and stayed at the Travelodge. Let me tell you.....
BIG MISTAKE! Elevators didn't work properly, my room was not cleaned properly and smelled like something died in there. There was one clean towel in my room.... ONE towel. I understand that the hotel is busy given the marathon and all, but they should make sure that they're fully stocked and ready to go. This is just part of the problem. Don't let me even get started on the staff. Out of all of the staff that I dealt with during my stay, there were only 3 people that, in my opinion, have any business being employed in the hospitality industry. One worked at the front desk. I think that Melisa was her name and the other 2 were bellman. I can't remember their names though. The rest of the staff should be on the unemployment line. In my opinion, hotel staff should be friendly and hospitable NOT snappy and b---chy. I felt like it was a struggle for them to be friendly (even fake friendly). What a joke! Where is the management at this hotel? Obviously not reading guest reviews. This hotel needs an overhaul to include the property itself as well as the staff.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank snardy_11
Reviewed October 14, 2011

I've never written a review on TripAdvisor before, but felt the need to with the Travelodge. Although the hotel is in a fantastic location in the loop, it is not worth the money. (Plus it's right next to the train tracks which makes for a lot of noise.) A few major issues: 1. the elevators. There are 3, but there were only 2 working, and on one night, only one. One of the elevators would stop on a floor, doors would open, then a few seconds later the elevator would rise another foot before finally settling. Very dangerous. I can't imagine how many people have tripped. I sure did. And that happened every time with that elevator. The inspection notices are from 2008. I'm shocked they are able to still use them. Secondly, the condition of the rooms/beds. My bed/linens as well as the shower curtain had a strong odor of stale sweat. Just really disgusting. Plus there were stains all over the carpet. I strongly recommend you spend a few more dollars and stay somewhere (anywhere) else.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed October 13, 2011

This hotel is right near the Loop in the heart of downtown Chicago. The location is great but that's where the good information stops. This hotel is a budget facility and is in need of a makeover. Our beds were worn out and the pillows were small and lumpy. The refrigerator door would not close so things wouldn't stay cold. We were put in a room on the south side where the windows looked out on an industrial building only 15 feet away. I am assuming that they charge more for the north side and you won't get those when you use the AARP discount. Water pressure in the shower was weak but water was hot. The TV is an old style 4:3 and not a wide screen HDTV. It brings to mind the saying, "you get what you pay for...". It's an ok facility for the budget price, but be aware of what it's going to be like.

Room Tip: Call the hotel and ask for a room on the northmside with a view.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I had major concerns based on other reviews; however, this hotel was the PERFECT location for participating in the Chicago Marathon with a start/finish at Grant Park. The cons: not updated, one computer in lobby didn't work, super slow elevators, didn't clean room until after 5PM on day two. The pros: comfortable king bed, spacious room (1023), refrigerator (perfect for gatorades and water), location, friendly/helpful staff, clean shower, affordable for the area. I would not stay here for a romantic vacation or business travel, but it was perfect for my needs as a participant in the Chicago Marathon.

Room Tip: room 1023 was spacious and clean
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank happydazing
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Because the cost of this hotel was a fraction of other downtown Chicago hotels, it was not expecting the Ritz. I did, however, expect a functioning bathroom.

We arrived in the wee hours of the morning and was not surprised that our room was very small and sparse but it was clean. We just feel into bed that night. In the morning, when I attempted to take a shower, the was not enough water pressure to even get wet and no hot water whatsoever. Fifteen minutes later the toilet broke. When it was flushed, it just kept flushing and flushing. We called the front desk and they sent someone immediately. He was able to fix the toilet after about twenty minutes. We were out all day and back in the room around 10;30 PM when the toilet broke again. This time when we tried to call the front desk, the phone was dead. This meant a trip down to the front desk. They sent another man who able to fix the toilet again but he was unable to do anything about the phone. At this point, we were offered an upgrade to a 'suite'. Each of you reading this has their idea of what constitues a suite. The room they gave us mets none of them. It was just a bigger room with the same tired furniture. The was pressure was much improved but hot water was still hard to come by.

I am not telling you not to stay at this hotel. It is very resonably priced and has a great location-steps off Michigan Avenue. I am telling you that there is a reason it is so much less that the neighboring hotels. You get what you pay for. The staff is doing the best it can with what it has to work with and they did respond to our complaints immediately. If you are willing to put up with some discomfort to save money, this will work for you.

Room Tip: The lower the floor, the better the water pressure will be.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Travelodge Hotel for 3 days last week. We were shopping for a hotel that was convenient to the museums, theaters, Grant Park and transportation. This location seemed to be perfect. We run a tour business and we book groups year-round and Chicago seems to always be a favorite of our clients. Upon check-in, we were greeted by a man at the front desk who was helpful and attentive as we arrived a little early. The bell captain was friendly and escorted us to our room. The room seemed nice enough for our needs. We had lunch at the restaurant which was actually better than we expected. At this point, we thought that we had found the perfect hotel. The next morning, we went to the front desk to let the agent know how pleased we were with the property. There was a woman behind the front desk with a very heavy accent who practically ignored our presence. She seemed more interested in chatting away and flirting up a storm with the bell captain. My first thought was that it was a good thing that there was a desk separating them or she may have been sitting on his lap. When we finally did get her attention, we asked her a question and she was utterly rude. It was as though we were imposing on her little tryst. In my opinion, her actions were highly unprofessional and not what I would expect to see at the front desk of a hotel. When we got back from shopping, we went to the front desk to ask about restaurants in the area. The agent at the desk in the evening was helpful and gave us some options. The next morning, when we were coming out of the elevator we were greeted by the bell captain and went to the restaurant for breakfast. When we walked out of the restaurant, the same woman as the previous morning was there AGAIN chatting up the bell captain. We stopped to ask him a question and while he was very gracious and helpful, she gave us a glare that could have killed. At that point, my mind had been made up. We would not be giving this hotel our business.
On a positive note, our room attendant was quite friendly and seemed to be very conscientious about her work. When we checked out the same man who checked us in was at the front desk and asked how our stay was and seemed to be genuinely interested. I wanted to tell him about our good and bad experiences, but I thought better of it and just told him that everything had been fine. The bell captain helped us with our bags to the cab and again was very gracious. This would have been the perfect property for our needs, but we won't be back.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business