Chicago's Essex Inn
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness center
  • Breakfast included
2,089 results
All reviewsgrant parkthe museum campusmichigan avenuesoldier fieldheating systembuckingham fountainwithin walking distancenavy pierindoor poolthe loopwillis towerexercise roomart institutethe beanview of the lakefew blocksthe magnificent mile
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We were in a room on the 4th floor, near the elevator but our room was very quiet. The tv channel selection was really good and the room was well equipped. It was great to have free wifi too. The bathroom was also clean and spacious. Our bed was comfortable and the hotel itself is quite close to restaurants and shopping areas. We had breakfast in the restaurant which was not too bad.

But I have to highly commend the staff at this hotel. They definately went the extra mile to help....friendly too.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank annabelle2904
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

I'd rather stay here than some of the Kimpton properties any day. Better service, bigger room, much better value, friendly, unpretentious staff. Right on Michigan avenue. Clean and comfortable. A little bit noisy with the L train, but not horrible. My room came with a closet and a nice sized bedroom, desk area. Hotel also has pool. Saw the front desk lady run after a guest one evening because she left the hotel with her purse wide open to tell her to close it. No pay per view, but free wi-fi, and an excellent French restaurant in lobby.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank SueZq48
Reviewed July 24, 2014

I was a little nervous after reading some of the reviews which is why I am writing this!

First of all it is 3.5 stars (simply because they do not have a 24/7 place to eat on site). If you are looking for a 5 star hotel why would you stay here?? I read about outdated decor etc. It was fine. i barely noticed. Hotel was clean, friendly staff and comfortable beds. The rooms are not huge, but I wouldn't say small. unless you are planning to spend your whole trip in it....but who is??!! Also I read reviews that the elevator wait is lllooonnngg.. Um...people must have very speedy expectations. We were on the 10th floor constantly coming and going and the longest we waited was about 1 minute. Location is great. I didn't notice any noise problem and we were right across from the elevator and street side. Buses are right outside the front door. I would love to stay here again!

Room Tip: My ONLY complaint is that the hotel has a smoking floor, I mean really?? I haven't come across this anywhere! But we made it clear that we have a son with asthma and wanted to be nowhere near the 3rd floor and it was not a problem at all.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Katie R
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Good hotel but too much noise. In fact the train ( CTA LINE) is passing just in front of the room so you really feel as if you were sleeping in the avenue...
Otherwise the staff is very helpful and friendly and hotel is just in front of Millenium Park and a few blocks from Art Institute of Chicago.
Pool on the roof is very nice but it is an indoor pool.
"Brasserie" next door is excellent and good value. We had dinner there 2 times but the 3rd time they told us it was better to go somewhere else as they were overloaded.

Room Tip: not those overlooking the train
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BLANCHE1984
Reviewed July 22, 2014

My wife and I and 12 year old grandson Took the Amtrak train from Effingham for a 3 day/2 night visit that included the Navy Pier and the Shedd Aquarium. The location of this hotel is great with Walking distance to the museum, aquarium.
We had one breakfast at the hotel restaraunt which was very good: recommend the Eggs Benedict. French style (although a little too much Edith Piaf on the sound system). Not a lot of other restaraunts in immediate area; they seem to mostly be a few blocks north and south of the hotel. Second breakfast at Yolk, few blocks south on Michigan was fabulous.
The rooms are small but 3 of us were very comfortable in our room. The room was clean and bedding was nice and the staff was extremely kind and helpful!
Was not happy with reservations prior to visit. I tried to change the date of our visit but was told they were full due to conventions, etc. They said they had not a single room for two nights in a two month period which was bull. I firmly believe it was because we had a GroupOn. As result, my daughter could not come on the trip...NOT happy about that.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family