“Holiday experience:” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #126 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Holiday experience:”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

We arrived at our hotel at about 9pm on the Friday- Local time, they got us into our room very quickly and helped us with our bags and parcels that had been delivered to the hotel. The staff were very happy to help and all interacted with us- including the cleaning staff. They advised us on the best food places, best way to call home and places to be.
The location of the hotel was excellent, we was about a 10 minute walk from the Museum Campus of which had the 'Shed Aquarium' and 'The Field Museum' on with many food shops on the way if you took the back route. There was a park opposite the hotel that was full of interesting statues of which you can learn more about if you take the Trolly Bus service- a guided tour around the "loop" of downtown Chicago, the staff on the bus were good to talk to and get facts from about the area. On this service you can pay to hop on and hop off at the various pick up points and use a voucher booklet to get free gifts and money off for places like Garretts popcorn shop. The trolly busses take you to the museum campus, there you can see the famous skyline of Chicago and look across Lake Michigan. There is a stop right near the hotel, at the "Hilton" hotel of which is next door to the Essex Inn!
I would recommend to not book hotel transport from the Airport to your Hotel from a holiday rep in England, as it will cost you more than twice the actual amount when you get there. If you go direct to Go Airport Express you can pay for it there and then and be taken on the next Bus either on a shared Bus or private. This was excellent service, they help with your bags and help you get in and out on the bus safely. (They drive better than most taxis!)
The hotel was simple but we could not fault anything, the wifi is free to use in your room and if any assistance is needed the staff downstairs are more than happy to help.
We stayed for four nights, but would highly recommend a longer stay.
Sue and Charlie.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank blandC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
Lakemoor, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

We booked a Friday night getaway the night before and requested a room as high as possible. We arrived and were greeted by two extremely friendly front desk employees. We were quickly checked in to a room on the top floor. The room was very clean, my wife stated, "This is the cleanest hotel room I've ever been in". We immediately decided to book another night. The view of the Michigan Ave was beautiful. There were may restaurants within walking distance and plenty other that delivered and we were able to find a parking lot nearby for $20 a night (the hotel offers valet parking in a garage for $50). There is a Metra station for the Electric line a block away and a free shuttle to nearby attractions. The only reason I didn't give a 5 star review, was because the heating system for the pool is shared by the hotel and due to extreme cold weather the boiler couldn't provide enough heat to get the pool over 78 degrees (sounds warmer than it actually is). There isn't much they could do because of the -0 temperature. I stayed here for a Bear game 9 years ago (it's walking distance to Soldier Field as well) and it has been a great experience both times.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the southside to see Soldier Field
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank A Ron W
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here recently while attending a conference at the Hilton next door. The rooms are a little dated, but are a good value for the money and the beds were comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful.

If you want a fancier joint, the hilton and the blackstone are just around the corner, but this was an excellent alternative when on a budget.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank persteff81
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

The wife and I spent the weekend here in late January 2014 for a pleasure visit to Chicago. It was a very nice stay. Rooms are basic but are clean with everything you need. Very reasonably priced for location in Chicago. We will defiantly stay here again.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank GaryS59
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

For a Michigan Avenue hotel, the price hinted that this was not going to be a five star property, and that turned out to be true. The lobby is cold and clinical, sort of a bank or a medical office building feel.

We had a suite, which was large enough but had one incredibly strange and annoying feature - the bathroom was tiny!!! I mean, airplane-sized plus a tub. I literally had to straddle the toilet in order to close the door, then turn around to use the commode. The hot water adjustment in our shower had been installed wrong - and there was no fixing it (though a very sweet maintenance man tried). So we struggled through with a finicky adjustment - the first day I had a lukewarm shower because I couldn't figure it out.

The people couldn't be nicer or more helpful, and the food in the hotel restaurant was better than I would have expected. Good breakfast, mediocre hamburger, good soup.

The room decor was a little tasteless - dark burgundy, gold and black carpet, brown and gold chairs, burgundy sofa. Not too relaxing! The views from our lake-facing windows were spectacular, though. There was no art in the bedroom, just a very plain vanilla bed, side table and lamp. Acceptable storage and lighting. Clock radio set to the wrong time but easy to fix.

I'd stay there again if I was on a budget plan, mainly because it was "fine" if not luxurious, and the staff were truly lovely, every last one of them. They seem to enjoy their jobs, which always makes a place feel a bit homier.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank SherryB88
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

My friend booked this hotel for us to stay on New Year's eve and explore downtown Chicago.

What I liked:
Location of the hotel is strategic, a few minutes walk or taxi ride or drive to several tourist spots. Hotel is located just beside the famous Hilton Chicago and Ru De Paul University - The Theater School. Hotel has an Italian restaurant, opens at 6am and closes at 10pm. There's plenty of restaurants few blocks away though. They also have a big indoor swimming pool. Hotel is near the Field Museum and a few minute drive you will be at the Millennium Park Cloud Gate (The Bean), few blocks away is Chicago Theater and shopping malls like Macy's. There's also a shuttle service from the hotel that can drop you off some of the major tourist spots a little farther than the others I mentioned. Shuttle bus can bring you to Navy Pier, Adler Planetarium, Magnificent Mile, John Hancock Center among others.

The rooms we stayed are quite big. I had the room of my own and my friend and her husband booked another room. Our view was perfect. I can see the park right across the hotel and the museum. The window was ceiling to floor. I had 2 king size beds and I love the pillows and the bed sheets. They're so soft! Comfort room's size was enough too. There's LCD TV, coffee maker and safe deposit box.

Most of the staff are friendly, but not all of them. There were some that sounded condescending when asked questions.

What I disliked:
Food service took so long. I was so hungry one morning, I ordered food and it arrived almost an hour. There's vending machine at our floor, it took the money but never gave the softdrinks. When we reported it to the lobby receptionist, she sarcastically responded and said she would not know if all vending machines are working or not and we can buy softdrinks at a convenience store nearby. Talk about customer service! And to think my friend just reported how the machine ate our money and what to do.

All in all, I will still go back to this hotel as my budget fits their rate and I liked their room. Some of the things I disliked are still tolerable.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the street of Michigan for a good view.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jenna170
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

My partner and I stayed here while in town for a conference. It was right next to the Hilton, so we were able to take that shuttle over to McCormick for the conference. We reserved it through a Groupon, and for the price and our needs it was worth it. Next time we'll probably stay somewhere closer to where the action is. We felt really far away from finding good places to spend our down time.

Friendly service, and they held our bags for us after we checked out and had a few hours to kill before heading to the airport. They clearly remodeled recently, and the bathroom layout and bed placement was a little awkward.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business