“Very good location and value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Chicago's Essex Inn

Chicago's Essex Inn
Ranked #117 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
“Very good location and value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

The Essex Inn is sited on Michigan Avenue about a mile from the central shopping area and most restaurants. The rooms are clean with comfortable beds and good showers. Opposite are the attractive gardens of Grant and then Millenium Parks. The restaurant is excellent for breakfast, drinks and others had dinner. I stayed as a convenient spot to run the Marathon and was not disappointed.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank John H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed at this hotel two nights last week. It was perfect for getting to the Chicago Marathon, the City Pass attractions, Grant Park, etc. The hotel has a gym, pool, and room service. Super comfortable bed and room. Staff is VERY helpful. They offer discounts but we bought the city pass while staying at a hostel during the first half of our trip (wish we could afford to stay at this place the whole time). The only real complaint is the other guests. We were next to a room that had a child who was playing on the door. I feel that if the hotel would place a sign on the inside of the doors saying "Guests please do not slam doors and be courteous of other travelers" or something to that effect. It is pretty expensive (though not so much for Chicago) to be paying in order to wake up a lot due to slamming doors. Again I would recommend this place based off of the room, location, cleanliness, etc. Just wish we were not next to door slammers....

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Eagan, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Great location across from Grant Park and within walking distance of the museum campus. Our reservation was made through Groupon and included two tickets to the Field Museum. When we presented the tickets at the museum, we also got half price tickets for the children.
Staff was great, rooms were clean and beds were comfortable. The rooms had everything we needed--refrigerator, tv, safe, great individual reading lights! Car parking was $50 per night which I thought was pricey. However, I had nothing to compare it to. There was a lifeguard on duty at the pool.
Overall experience was pleasant.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Margo L
Naples, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I looked for a hotel for a business stay, centrally located. I chose the Essex as it had good review and I was happy with my choice. The room was large, friendly colors (I was on the Surrealist floors where the rooms were decorated with paintings from surrealist painters). I really enjoyed the cleanness of the room. What I also enjoyed is that I could open a window in the room and get fresh air in. The hotel has a nice launch / breakfast area where I got a good strong expresso in the morning. Directly in front of the hotel you can easily catch a taxi. Bus station is just in front of it. I would go back to this hotel again and I can recommend it.

Room Tip: I was on the 'Surrealist' floor, room #615.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I had an incredible room over looking Grant Park, Lake Michigan, the musuems ,sunrise wonderful way to start my day. I could walk everywhere in addition they offered some shuttles to shopping. Safe, clean bistro in hotel. The food was good. Easy to walk to other restuarants esp for breakfast. The Yolk was excellent for breakfast and only 2 blocks away. The staff was very friendly took care of any request.
Only one problem I arrived on Sunday and was in need of an important box that had been shipped to the hotel for my business. Upset they could not get it for me until the next day because the head housekeeper was the only one with a key.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ellie K
Sidney, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We got rooms on Priceline for $125, two double beds (why not queens?!) The lobby has a modern boutique look, the elevator is painfully slow, the hallways dated, the room furnishings and countertops modern and sharp, the toilet and tub area was very tired, with a bit of a sour smell.

The staff were unfailingly helpful. We arrived about 9 am and were given our rooms. The bellman got us tickets for the Architectural River Cruise while were still in the elevator. The free shuttle bus will take you to most places you want to visit, and Ray, the shuttle driver, is the best tour guide you could wish for. They gave us good restaurant advice each time we asked.

There is a rooftop (4th floor) deck with plants and loungers, looking across to the park and the lake, adjacent to the enormous indoor pool, complete with lifeguard.

The location of the Essex is ideal, across Michigan Avenue from Grant Park, and on the metro bus route. There is much to recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Our room was above the pool, which has a glass atrium top, so nice to look at. I imagine the rooms...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Flushing, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed at this hotel without doing any of the research I typically do, because some friends were already booked there. Upon arrival, I really liked that the hotel was close to Soldier Field (about 5 min away, walking). The lobby was nice enough, and there is a restaurant connected to the hotel on one end of the lobby that had pretty good food.

The trouble started when we had to wa.almost 5 minutes for one of the 2 elevators to arrive. When we arrived at our floor, we were greeted by run down rugs, scraped doors (all around the key card mechanisms), and walls with chipped paint. The rooms themselves seemed clean and spacious though, and they do provide free wifi.

There are vending machines on each floor, but be warned they charge different prices for the same items. On my floor bought a 12 oz bottle of water for $2. On my friends floor, I bought a 20 oz bottle of water for $2! So check around before purchasing. Also, there are plaques by the vending machines indicating which floors have beverage and snack vending machines. Its says floors 2 and 3 have snacks, but the 2nd floor just has hotel offices and conference rooms - no snack machines.

All in all this hotel is not the worst ever, but for the price (over $200 a night), you are definitely better off at a motel 8 or comfort suites. They do not offer free printing to their guests. That was unsettling considering the hotel is SO shoddy and charges so much. The manager did allow us to print for free though after we requested to speak with him.

Overall would not recommend, another couple who luckily for them couldn't get a room at the Essex, stayed at the Hyatt near the Magnificent Mile for slightly more. THAT hotel was gorgeous, was in the midst of everything (shopping, restaurants), and had a bar and Starbucks in the lobby. Stay there instead.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Natalie D

Travelers are raving about these Chicago hotels