“The Lobby Bar is just like Cheers....Everyone knows your name!”

Chicago's Essex Inn
Ranked #129 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Redondo Beach, California
“The Lobby Bar is just like Cheers....Everyone knows your name!”
Reviewed July 18, 2008

First things first....Say hi to Ilene at the bar in the lobby! She will remember your name for years to come. I swear, this is the friendliest place I've ever been to. Lots of repeat guests. That's a good sign, right?

My husband and I stayed there in March over St. Patrick's Day. I was there for bussiness and my hubby tagged along. The hotel was decent. We stayed in one of the older rooms but they were in the middle of remodeling and were told that the newer rooms were fantastic. Regardless, the rooms were clean and the beds comfy. The location of the hotel wasn't bad either. We walked everywhere, but we're pretty active and like the walk. When the weather got bad (snow!!!), we took a cab.

Make sure to take one night to eat at Geja's, a fondue restaurant. It was a great experience! Later on head over to Kingston Mines. Best blues bar ever! The performers were top notch.

We truly had a great first visit to Chicago. Hopefully the first of many.

• Liked — Ilene at the bar.
  • Disliked — Bathroom was old, but in the middle of remodel.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank chirocristy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
Edinburgh
Reviewed July 9, 2008

Stayed here on recommendation of Trailfinders. They were right - good value, staff helpful and free shuttles downtown and to museums. Very convenient for Grant Park. Easy to get shuttles to/from airport.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noisy air conditioning
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank mulhoc
Scotland
Reviewed June 22, 2008

My boyfriend and I really enjoyed our stay. We were here for 4 nights (8th - 12th) and the hotel is in a great location for exploring Chicago. We walked to the museums and Navy Pier. Grant Park was wonderful. The hotel staff were really friendly from the housekeeping staff, the front desk staff and the bellhops - particularly helpful. The view from the pool area across Grant Park to Lake Michigan were fabulous. The rooms were clean, comfortable and serviced every day. The Savoy Grill attached to the hotel was good for breakfast and the bar staff really friendly.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BigHScotland
dublin
Reviewed June 18, 2008

having just stayed here it is an excellent hotel for chicago offers shuttle bus to all places on the navy pier and michigan avenue only thing bus starts at 10 am and finishes at 6 pm also you can get the free schuttle from may to sep just near hotel hotel itself very clean with rooms completed each day room size good hotel staff very helpfull

• Liked — could not fault anything
  • Disliked — internet access
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shamtipp
Sheffield AL
Reviewed June 7, 2008

The Essex is a great hotel. My husband, me , and two of our friends decided to go to Chicago and used Priceline to do so. We booked a hotel called Econo Lodge. From the description on the internet it seemed fine,but when we got there it was under construction and was nasty. We called around for hours looking for another hotel when the hotel was not willing to work with us and refund our money. Thats when we finally found the Essex Inn. They were more than willing to help us and put us up for the remainder of our stay. We loved it there. The rooms were perfect.If we ever go back to Chicagowe will for sure stay at the Essex Inn.

• Liked — It was perfect in every way.
  • Disliked — The pool was closed.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lindsaymae123
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2008

This was my first hotel out of six I stayed in during my US holiday tour. I read some of the reviews on this site before I left and was not looking forward to the stay. I stayed in the hotel for two nights.

My room was on the 12th floor, overlooking the light terracotta painted building to the left of the hotel (when you are looking at the hotel head on). I loved the flat panel TV and the beds were nice and comfortable without being too firm. The bathroom was of a good size with plenty of room to put your toiletries and to dry yourself in. Plus there was the sink vanity unit outside the bathroom, so one can use the shower whilst the other dries their hair etc.

The only downer was the outdated decor in the lobby area. I think getting rid of the mid 1980s carpet and the leather and chrome furniture is a must. From seeing the older photos, I can see the rooms have been refurbished and chances are the lobby will be done at a later date.

• Liked — Nice room
  • Disliked — dated decor in lobby
  • Stayed May 2008
2 Thank happycheese1
ithaca
Reviewed May 20, 2008

This is a decent hotel to stay at if you're working on a budget but want to avoid any of the Comfort Inn et. al. chains. When we stayed there in Mar. 08, the foyer reception area was undergoing renovations. It's quite small hotel (if I remember correctly, there were 12 floors or so). The rooms are much more updated and cozy than the hallways (which are decorated in a dated art deco'ish style) would indicate. The front desk and parking service was slightly incompetent. Upon arriving, the receptionist ask if we wanted two beds or one. When I said, "two beds," she then replied, "Oh sorry, we don't have any rooms with two beds." Then there were a couple of incidents with a parking attendant (who was still being trained I think) who had misplaced our parking stub, and neglected to record which parking space/building our car was in, so that his associate had to comb through both to find it. Other than those unpleasantries, however, I would still by large recommend it to young travellers, looking for a convenient location (great if you didn't bring a car).

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple