“A good value from the Mad Men Period”

Chicago's Essex Inn
Ranked #129 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Charlotte, North Carolina
“A good value from the Mad Men Period”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The Essex Inn opened in the early 1960s, a time when floor to ceiling windows were in vogue. Great for a view of Grant's Park. Much more moderately priced than some other hotels. I recommend the king deluxe rooms on the front corners. Usual big city noise, but nothing that bothered me. Great indoor swimming pool and open terrace on the 4th floor. Safe in the room, which I appreciated. Fridge. (No microwave.) A few minor minuses, though. TV reception was fuzzy, had to hunt for better versions of the channels. Free Wi-Fi was pretty slow, and premium version was over-priced. Don't count on the free van. It doesn't go to the Museum campus after 10:30 a.m. I guess a few trips later in the day so you could get back is out of the question. (Duh!) Really too far to walk if you remember the 60's. I did well getting all over the city with a CTA pass, though. And you can spend a cold few days if you happen to hit a cool spell in the summer, when only the cool speed of their temp control works. Their only answer is a blanket, which you can't wear around all the time. Overall, however, 4 out of 5. (A better management attitude could make it all the way!)

Room Tip: All smoking rooms on the third floor. We smokers don't deserve a better view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank John_S49022

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed at the Essex Inn in August, 2013 with my husband and 2 young children. The location was great. It is located across from Grant park and within walking distance of several museums and Shedd Aquarium. Upon arriving at the hotel, I was caught by surprise by the "no cooler of any size" policy. I had just arrived by car and had a small cooler with drinks and sandwiches. We valet parked, so while we were trying to unpack our car, I had to scramble for plastic bags to transfer my wet cooler items while making sure my kids were safe. Not fun.

Once we finally checked in and got to our room, I noticed there was no microwave. So this eliminated my ability to heat up leftovers or make oatmeal for the kids in the morning. Also, the bathroom had the smallest sink I have seen outside of an RV bathroom. The bathroom was small and had a door separating the toilet and bath that could not be closed without a lot of effort.The double beds in our room seemed very short, and I am only 5' 6. The a/c unit had very poor temperature control. When it was on, it was cold. The temperature adjustment did nothing, so we had to have it on or off.

A highlight of the hotel for me besides the location, was the pool and exercise room. My kids loved the pool. The pool had a lifeguard, which was a pleasant surprise. The exercise room was large and had top of the line equipment. There were also towels for use in the pool and exercise room.

The staff was friendly, except for one person at the valet parking. I am not sure if I would stay here again. The location was great, but I missed having a microwave and a comfortable bed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
poppypumpkin
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We found this hotel perfect for our stay in Chicago. It was centrally located, walking distance to museum campus and Buckingham Fountain. The train station was only 2 mins away. The hotel itself was clean and well maintained. A great experience!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GMEssexInn, Manager at Chicago's Essex Inn, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
PoppyPumkin,

Thank you for staying with us. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay. Its great that you were able to take advantage of Chicago's museum's and attractions. Their is still plenty more to do, we would really enjoy welcoming you back again in the future.
Racine
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We try to always stay at the Essex when we travel to Chicago for a football game. It's clean the staff is friendly but it is an older hotel. The atmosphere is always good on game day and it is within walking distance.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
CamiRacine,

We hope to see you this year, The season opener is right around the corner. We are very close to the stadium to like you mentioned which is great when attending a game. Thank you for being a loyal guest and we look forward to welcoming you back again this season..... Go Bears!
Celbridge, Ireland
Reviewed August 31, 2013

This hotel is well past it's best. It is the noisiest hotel that I have ever stayed in. The first room was next to the elevator and I could hear it and every person outside my door. The next room at the top floor and I could still hear traffic and trains passing not to mention people passing on the hallway. The level of sound proofing needs to be updated. We got a double room and it was tiny. The room while clean was very shabby and I never took off my shoes for my three days there. On a positive note the pool is lovely and the lifeguard works very hard and keeps a lane open for lane swimmers at all times. The location is excellent but I feel that for the amount this hotel cost I deserved a lot better than this.

Room Tip: All rooms for doubles are too small, maybe the family rooms are bigger.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to inform us of your feedback from your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that the noise level kept you up. Downtown Chicago is full of Buses and trains and they run quite frequently. I am glad that you were able to take advantage of our swimming pool. It is a wonderful spot to rest and relax after a nice swim or workout.

Travelers are raving about these Chicago hotels

Leigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I love Chicago's Essex Inn - it rates as one of my favourite hotels in the world. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The rooms are always very spacious, clean and welcoming. The beds are among the most comfortable I have slept in. I highly recommend this hotel for all the above and the location - you have Buddy Guy's Legends Club just at the back of the hotel for world class blues music. A bus stop for the hop on hop off open top buses - just out of the hotel and straight on, brilliant. I will be returning the Chicago's Essex Inn.

Room Tip: We booked through Trailfinders and asked for the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dave S
GMEssexInn, Manager at Chicago's Essex Inn, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dave S

We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for being a loyal guest and we cant wait to welcome you back again soon.
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here with the Groupon special which was a good deal ($97/night during high season). The Shoreline 30 minute boat tour was included and we really liked it.
However, you see different details in the hotel room that look a bit rundown. Our room smelled very strongly from somebody's perfume which was disturbing but we didn't complain either...
The pool was nice with an outdoor deck and the lady at the entrance was pleasant.
I thought the rate was outstanding and so we were more willing to put up with less quality. I probably wouldn't go again and pay full price.

• Stayed July 2013