“Our stay was great!”

Ranked #139 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Milwaukee, WI
“Our stay was great!”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Our stay at the Essex was great! We have no complaints or problems! We booked our stay on priceline.com (winning bid $100/nt, plus taxes). We took a taxi from the train station (about $8+tip). We arrived at the hotel around 10am and wanted to either check-in or leave our luggage for the day (as that is a service of the hotel); we were so happy that our room was already ready, so we went up. The room was very nice, clean, crisp. I giggled a bit at the other comments about the "smallest sink I've ever seen" because, yeah, the basin was small, but there was counter space and under counter space. There was a hair dryer, iron/board, small closet area, too. Other reviews mentioned the older heating/cooling system, which is was, but worked perfectly fine. I love when hotels have a free refrigerator in the room, which this one did (and stayed cold). Additionally, there was a safe in the room, which is always nice.

The pool area, the workout room, and the patio were all great bonuses! The pool area had separate towels that you could use. The workout room had about 3 treadmills, 3 ellipticals, free weights and a few weight-machines. I used the elliptical one morning then did my cool-down/stretches out on the patio overlooking Michigan avenue - it was a great way to start the day!

A useful resource of this hotel was their website. There are a lot of nice pictures of the rooms, common areas, and the restaurant. It mentioned that they have a free shuttle around the downtown area. There is a schedule posted in the lobby and it seemed that the shuttle pretty much left every hour, on the hour; we typically started our day earlier than the schedule, so we didn't use the service, but I was happy to know it was an option! They also have a page "Experience Chicago->Fun for Free" which gave some good free ideas in Chicago.

Of course, one of the best qualities of the Essex Inn is location. We booked tickets on the Double Decker Buses/Trolleys, and one of the stops was just across the street at the Hilton Hotel. The main "hub" for the buses was just on Michigan/Randolph which was just about a 1 mile walk, which is safe daytime and nighttime (though a few homeless people asking for money). One of the places we like to eat is "Hot Woks, Cool Sushi" on Michigan Ave. (great food and reasonable prices!) and it's just a few minutes walk away, too. Of course, Millennium Park (which had free concerts both nights we were there, even the "seating" is free, as well as the lawn seating) and Grant Park are very near and the Buckingham Fountain is a short walk away. Things like, Walgreens, Subway, Jimmy Johns are all nearby, too.

I'd also like to mention that the staff was always very nice, very accommodating and very helpful! I'd definitely recommend the Essex to anyone (good for families, couples, girlfriends weekend, etc). Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions!! Enjoy Chicago!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank travlinmel101
GMEssexInn, Manager at Chicago's Essex Inn, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Dear Travlinmel 101

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your stay with us. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff and amenities were exceeded your expectations. Please reach out to me directly next time your travels bring you to Chicago. I would be more then happy to assist you with your reservation needs. jscott@essexinn.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I had a group of 18 people staying for 2 nights. When traveling with a group that large, you always expect some type of difficulty or someone to be unhappy. But every single person was extremely happy with the Chicago Essex Inn. The front desk staff and valet and parking staff were all exemplary. Everyone (on all shifts) was extremely helpful and always had a smile on their face to assist you in anyway possible. The hotel itself was nice, very clean. We stayed in family suites which contained three beds and one bathroom. Plenty of room for six people. The pool was very nice and clean with a beautiful sun deck. Within walking distance to Soldier Field and other area attractions and shopping. This is a great place to stay and we will definitely be staying here again. Great hotel with even better customer service!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Melstach,

I am so happy that everyone enjoyed there stay. Our team strive to provide nothing but the best service to our guest and we all that you for such kind words. Please contact me directly next time you travel to Chicago. I would be more then happy to take care of your reservation needs. jscott@essexinn.com
Reviewed August 10, 2013

The walls are paper thin and you can hear everything and everyone. The air conditioners work well, almost too well in fact. There is no temperature gauge, only a knob to turn it warmer and colder with no clear way to see where it's being set.

• Stayed August 2013
Chicago
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I bought two groupon deals, one as a gift for Dec. I forgot to substitute my name for the person's name the gift was intended for. I called the front desk to change the name and clerk told me in a terse dismissive way it was not their problem and I had to call groupon. I asked for a contact number because I could not find one. I was told to look it up on the internet. I called reservation manager and requested help on her voice mail, but my call has been ignored. Based on the level of service and general manners, I may skip these December outings all together.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Karen L
GMEssexInn, Manager at Chicago's Essex Inn, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear KarenL,

I am so sorry that you were unable to make changes to your reservation though us. It does need to go through Group on. The phone number for Group on 1-877-788-7858. We do want you to be our guest in December and I invite you to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance. jscott@essexinn.com
Dracut, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The hotel was nice, staff is friendly, they are in a great location. The 4th floor pool and deck were really nice. The room we had was small because it was alongside the service elevator, but the room was nice otherwise. We had a standup shower with glass doors, the doors leaked onto the floor, otherwise the bathroom was a decent size and nice.

1 Thank Badrew
GMEssexInn, Manager at Chicago's Essex Inn, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Badrew

We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and was able to take advantage of our pool and sun deck. We all look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed August 2, 2013

My wife and I took our 11 year old grandson to Chicago for an overnight trip to enjoy the parks and navy pier. We stayed at the Essex Inn. We were able to get a Groupon deal and had a double room. The hotel itself is very clean and well kept up. Not alot of amenities, fairly basic room. Great indoor pool and they do have a shuttle service to take you to some of the local sites. We did not use the shuttle and chose to walk.

Overall the stay was very good and I would stay again if the deal was right. As always, parking in Chicago is a hassle so the parking was $48 for overnight.

The beds were comfortable, but not big enough for two adults to sleep comfortably. We made it work.

Dear Indyjack57

We are so happy that you'll stay with us again. I am sure your grandson had a wonderful time while visiting Chicago. Please reach out to me next time your travels bring you in town. I will personally take care of your reservation needs. jscott@essexinn.com
Berea, Kentucky
Reviewed August 2, 2013

The first time I stayed at the Essex Inn was phenomenal back in 2007! Granted I stayed in one of the family suites but the rooms were so big and comfortable! Even the hotel restaurant had a nice charm about it and the food was delicious. However this visit, I have found that things have changed. With the latest remodel, the rooms are considerably smaller and even the bathroom feels somewhat like a closet. Every time I washed my hands I felt like I was using a bowl instead of a sink. I gave it a Very Good rating because the hospitality was still excellent and everything felt clean and the beds where still comfortable. This is still a great place to stay if you are on business or even spending time with the family because they have a nice indoor pool and you feel safe. Also you can't beat the location, the Essex is close to a lot of stores within relatively easy walking distance.

1 Thank Rachel B
Dear Rachel B

Thank you for taking the time inform us on how your recent stay was. We have made a lot of changes which we hope all of our guest can take advantage of. I am so happy that the service you received was excellent. We do strive to provide nothing but the best guest service. We really appreciate your feedback and I invite you to reach out to me personally for any future reservation needs. jscott@essexinn.com