Chicago's Essex Inn
$725
$627
$519
  • Restaurant
La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown(Chicago)(Great Value!)
$329
  • Breakfast included
Best Western River North Hotel(Chicago)(Great Value!)
$330
Agoda.com
$1,398
$975
  • Pool
Hotel Versey - Days Inn Chicago(Chicago)(Great Value!)
$330
$288
Hotels.com
$492
getaroom.com
2,100 results
All reviewsgrant parkthe museum campusmichigan avenuesoldier fieldheating systembuckingham fountainwithin walking distancenavy pierindoor poolthe loopwillis towerexercise roomart institutethe beanview of the lakefew blocksthe magnificent mile
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Essex Inn for two days during the Taste of Chicago, and we would highly recommend the place to anyone visiting the Windy City. You really can't beat the location -- right across from the park and waterfront and within walking distance to museums, the Pritzker Pavillion, shopping, etc. The hotel also boasts a huge indoor pool, workout room, and nice restaurant/bar that was pretty reasonably priced, especially compared with some of the other hotel bars we visited. We stayed on the 12th floor with a great view, which allowed us to wake up in the morning and watch the sun coming up over the water through the floor-to-ceiling windows -- very nice.

I was shocked by how much cheaper the Essex is compared to the other, fancier hotels along Michigan Avenue and was expecting a dump when we walked through the doors, but I was very pleasantly surprised by the decor of the hotel, by the very friendly and helpful staff, and by how clean and nice the rooms are. The only downside is the room size. Our room was pretty darned small and the bathroom was even smaller (with the tiniest sink I've ever seen). That wasn't a big deal for us, but I'm sure that some people would find this bothersome. Also, as other reviewers have said, it's pretty costly to park ($48 a day, with unlimited in-out) there.

Overall, I would highly recommend the Essex. It's not a four-star hotel, but it's quite nice for the money, and you can't beat the location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

DO NOT STAY AT THIS PLACE!! What a repulsive place! I feel dirty just remembering my family's stay at Chicago's Essex Inn. Just one of many examples: My wife spilled some water on the floor. She cleaned it up with a towel. The towel was white prior to the water spill and was brown after. The room and the rest of the hotel was filthy. The staff was far less than friendly. In addition to the filth, there is no climate control. We had three rooms, all three were very hot. I could go on and on about this place. It was the worst place I've ever stayed. DO NOT STAY AT THIS PLACE!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Ajsevic
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Essex Inn from July 11-July 14, 2013, to get my daughter situated for summer classes at the local University. We were having a great time, shopping, attending the Taste of Chicago and enjoying some of the sites. But on the day before we were to leave we noticed that my son's mini IPAD was missing. We reported the incident to the hotel and the incident was investigated by the HouseKeeping Director, Mr. Sol. He explained to me that this has happened before. Accordingly to his investigation, the only person in our room other than my family and I was the housekeeper and would be speaking with the General Manager. That was two days ago and to this day, I have not gotten any resolution to this theft. So, if you still decide to stay here, make sure that you hide all of your valuables.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2013

If you are looking for an affordable, clean, comfortable hotel with a friendly staff and in a great location, I would highly recommend Chicago's Essex Inn! My only complaint is the high price to park.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheRMLibrarian
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed here after our Amtrak train journey from San Francisco, only one night but this is a very well sited hotel. Across the road is Grant Park and you can walk through that to the waterfront. You can walk downtown to the shopping areas and have great diners nearby.
The hotel has recently had a revamp and is clean and accommodating. The room size is good with a well fitted out bathroom.
Staff were good and helpful

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple