“I Loved It” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #126 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Sheffield AL
“I Loved It”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2008

The Essex is a great hotel. My husband, me , and two of our friends decided to go to Chicago and used Priceline to do so. We booked a hotel called Econo Lodge. From the description on the internet it seemed fine,but when we got there it was under construction and was nasty. We called around for hours looking for another hotel when the hotel was not willing to work with us and refund our money. Thats when we finally found the Essex Inn. They were more than willing to help us and put us up for the remainder of our stay. We loved it there. The rooms were perfect.If we ever go back to Chicagowe will for sure stay at the Essex Inn.

• Liked — It was perfect in every way.
  • Disliked — The pool was closed.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lindsaymae123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2008

This was my first hotel out of six I stayed in during my US holiday tour. I read some of the reviews on this site before I left and was not looking forward to the stay. I stayed in the hotel for two nights.

My room was on the 12th floor, overlooking the light terracotta painted building to the left of the hotel (when you are looking at the hotel head on). I loved the flat panel TV and the beds were nice and comfortable without being too firm. The bathroom was of a good size with plenty of room to put your toiletries and to dry yourself in. Plus there was the sink vanity unit outside the bathroom, so one can use the shower whilst the other dries their hair etc.

The only downer was the outdated decor in the lobby area. I think getting rid of the mid 1980s carpet and the leather and chrome furniture is a must. From seeing the older photos, I can see the rooms have been refurbished and chances are the lobby will be done at a later date.

• Liked — Nice room
  • Disliked — dated decor in lobby
  • Stayed May 2008
2 Thank happycheese1
ithaca
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2008

This is a decent hotel to stay at if you're working on a budget but want to avoid any of the Comfort Inn et. al. chains. When we stayed there in Mar. 08, the foyer reception area was undergoing renovations. It's quite small hotel (if I remember correctly, there were 12 floors or so). The rooms are much more updated and cozy than the hallways (which are decorated in a dated art deco'ish style) would indicate. The front desk and parking service was slightly incompetent. Upon arriving, the receptionist ask if we wanted two beds or one. When I said, "two beds," she then replied, "Oh sorry, we don't have any rooms with two beds." Then there were a couple of incidents with a parking attendant (who was still being trained I think) who had misplaced our parking stub, and neglected to record which parking space/building our car was in, so that his associate had to comb through both to find it. Other than those unpleasantries, however, I would still by large recommend it to young travellers, looking for a convenient location (great if you didn't bring a car).

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank rinaceros
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2008

I booked a room for a Saturday night stay in Chicago, and was pleasantly surprised when I arrived to our room. We were on the ninth floor, and the room was very recently renovated. Nice comfortable bed, large 32" flat panel TV, and granite and tile in the bathroom.

I was able to get a very good rate for this room, and this location is convenient to Grant Park, the museums, aquarium, etc. and is only a 15 minute walk from the much more expensive Magnificent Mile area.

The only cons on the place were that the elevators were a little slow in coming once you hit the button, and the sink in the bathroom was very small.

Parking - I didn't park at the garage behind the hotel, but there are multiple surface lots within a block of the hotel. You can also park on the street if you can find a spot, metered parking until 9 PM on Saturdays, then FREE all day Sunday!

Bottom line, if you are looking for a comfortable hotel at a very reasonable price, this hotel fits the bill. I would stay here again in a second.

• Stayed May 2008
1 Thank michiganstategogreen
west coast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2008

We stayed in a king suite. Lovely room with a spectacular view! The corner living room was comfortable and again, that fab view! Tinsy, tiny bathroom, but it functioned well.

The downside? Foam rubber pillows. We asked about down pillows and were told by the bellboy that he would check, but he didn't check. We also asked for a wake-up call on our last morning for 4:20 a.m. to catch an early morning plane. Fortunately I had set the alarm because the wake-up call never happened.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — we did not receive a requested wake-up call on our very early morning departure
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WestCoastPuddleduck
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2008

Arriving very late we got a warm welcome and an upgrade to a suite. The beds were comfortable and whilst certain elements of the hotel are dated, it was clean and had good facilities. The swimming pool was good - a good temperature despite the minus 15 degrees outside and there was a sauna too.
The location isn't bad as it is right next door to the hilton which means taxis are very easy to get.
We had lunch at the hotel's restaurant and this was very reasonable.
Overall, a very good value stay, with well appointed, comfortable and clean rooms.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — the lobby is rather dated
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank BlueMuse
CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2008

Although it was not imposed, the $50 fee to leave early is ridiculous. My plane arrived late and it was only when I arrived at 11pm that they disclosed this. My rate was going to nearly triple (which i did know in advance). It seems like they cater to tour groups.

Noise from the hallway was disturbing, and housekeeping knocked at 8:20am.

The location is near the Loop but south of most of the city's offerings. Not fatal, but not ideal. There isn't much in the way of restaurants, etc. nearby, though there are some attractions.

There is a fee for wireless ($6 or 7). The sink was miniscule -- too small to refill a water bottle. Water pressure was weak. The tub was chipped and had a smudge -- not sure what caused that.

The shuttle only runs 1/hour.

I fared better at the Hampton Inn -- paid a bit more, but it was worth it.

• Liked — it was clean
  • Disliked — fee for early departure, noise, check-in was slow and not adept
  • Stayed March 2008
1 Thank CaFSM

Travelers are raving about these Chicago hotels