Chicago's Essex Inn
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness center
  • Breakfast included
2,090 results
All reviewsgrant parkthe museum campusmichigan avenuesoldier fieldheating systembuckingham fountainwithin walking distancenavy pierindoor poolthe loopwillis towerexercise roomart institutethe beanview of the lakefew blocksthe magnificent mile
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Stayed here in 2010 and thought hotel seemed worn out, tatty and past it's prime. On arriving yesterday found it much improved. Lobby recently refurbished and my room was great with side views to both the Lake and Willis(Sears) Tower as well as spotlessly clean. Wifi is now free and I found it reliable and fast enough to stream BBC iPlayer for radio from UK. Well done!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I always THOUGHT this place looked dingy from the outside BUT my husband surprised me a couple years back for our Anniversary and I fell in love with it! We always stay here now!

For the best view of Lake Michigan and Grant park, you have to get a King Suite or deluxe room but it is economical, floor to ceiling windows with phenomenal view, indoor pool, quiet at night, clean, modern...the list goes on!

We will be back in July and Christmas! This was the first time we bought a package which included art institute and parking. Just love it! Sun rises are breathtaking!

Thank you Essex!!
The D'Amores

Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Chicago:
Essex Inn. Staff helpful always, ideal position for everything. Our 17th floor room was so quiet, spacious and very clean. Suited us perfectly. made coffee in room, The open topped tour bus picked us up outside and was really informative, so much to do in that wonderful City......Hop on Hop off so much used over 2 days. Also convenient walk to Metro, was so easy to get around. Chicago did not seem to have any litter or graffiti ANYWHERE. Millennium square very nice to spend an hour or so in....... and walked along the beautiful lakeside with miles of parks fronting.

Room Tip: We asked for room overlooking the Lake, but it did not face directly over Michigan Avenue so no noise at all. Building work going on in reception area but no problem to any of us there.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank M0tap
Reviewed May 10, 2013

A great place to stay in downtown Chicago if you are on a budget.
Not very far from all the main touristic places if you like to walk a bit. If you don't, they have a free one way shuttle very useful. Subway is 2 blocks from. Easy to catch a cab cause of its location on Michigan av.
Rooms are standard, quiet, clean, old fashion's (that doesn't mean bad).
Staff was very professionnal. Desk and concierge are top notch. Room service pretty good too.
Ask for a high floor to avoid the pool view and a bit of street noise.
I was with my little daughter, we enjoyed the pool. It's family friendly

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kanban
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I was in Chicago for 5 days for a conference and stayed in this hotel. Was on the 2nd highest floor and from the side, the view of Lake Michigan was just fabulous. There are some rooms which have a direct view of the lake but from my room, I could only see from the side. There is a swimming pool and gym on the 4th floor which I found quite good for relaxation. Hotel is also conveniently located a few blocks from the CTA (trains) and you could take a stroll along the park (just opposite), visiting various attractions and ending up at the shopping avenue.

One thing I did not like about the hotel is the heating system which is automatic and quite noisy throughout both day and night. Corridor is a bit dark and I think they can improve on the lighting.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business