“Weekend with son and grandson. Very nice”

Chicago's Essex Inn
Ranked #144 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Enjoyed our stay. The hotel was under renovation however the service was great. The bulb in the bathroom was out within a few minutes the maintenance staff had replaced the bulb. The room was clean great value and great location for family friendly activities. Also there is a great restaurant ,the yolk, about two blocks south .n

• Stayed: March 2013

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Having arrived slightly flustered form a long taxi journey from O'Hare (get the blue line CTA it's a bargain at $2:25) we were slightly dubious at the refurbishment and temporary check in facilities. But the staff were friendly enough and helpful. The room was a little on the small side by US standards but more than adequate for our needs being equipped with a safe and fridge. The beds were especially comfy.

The pool and fitness rooms were outstanding although at the time the sauna wasn't working.

We only had breakfast at the bistro which was good and plentiful.

Blues fans will appreciate Buddy Guy's Legends Club and little more than block away. Load of good place to eat and amuse locally and downtown Chicago an easy 15 minute walk away.

Italian food lovers will appreciate Rosebuds Cafe in Little Italy a short $15 taxi ride away.

Overall and very enjoyable stay in Chicago. We'll be back!

1  Thank PatandSueLondon
Reviewed April 17, 2013

My husband and I have just finished a two and a half week holiday around the USm finishing in Chicago at the Essex Inn. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in the city and at the hotel. The reception staff and concierges (especially Anthony Cortez) could not have been more helpful; our room was excellent and as close to the pool as you could be so we took advantage of that. Although the residents' internet was down because of refurbishment, we were directed to the nearest library which had about 200 computers all with free wi-fi so we could check in, and we had the best food in the Brasserie that we had in all of the cities and states we visited. Excellent food, service and prices. Five stars all round. Carol Fry, Bristol UK

Room Tip: Try the 4th floor near the pool!
3  Thank CarolFry
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We came for Thanksgiving weekend. The staff was wonderful. We really enjoyed the shuttle to the Museum District which saved us money on taxi fares. The floor to ceiling windows in our room were great even though our particular room didn't have that great of a view. Had the weather been a little warmer we would have been within walking distance of several attractions. All in all, a great choice.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Stacy A
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I am disappointed to say that the employees of Essex Inn and the Inn itself leave nothing to be desired. I came to Chicago for the first time over this past weekend to celebrate my husband's birthday. I chose the Essex based upon location, price, and ease of getting around due to not being familiar with the area. Upon check-in the hotel had me down for one night only, when I told them that was incorrect I was informed that's what I was down for and it must be a mistake on the booking site I chose. I showed them my confirmation and all was fixed, small irritation. Upon exiting the elevator I didn't realize this, but apparently Cheech and Chong were also on my same floor, after passing their door and reaching my own room, giving me time to put down my suitcases, etc., my room began smelling as though I were also in the "party suite". Placed a call to the front desk, was able to move floors after explaining the issue, however, the party kids were left to smoke it up! In the new room, the fridge was broken and water was flowing out from underneath it. Maintenance did replace that night. Then, I fell victim to the $41/night parking. Learned my lesson and parked elsewhere the next day, however, upon arriving home the hotel charged my account the initial $75 due upon check in for "incidentals" and then proceeded to charge me another $75, then $7 for absolutely nothing! When I called to inquire I was told it was due to the parking. I actually did the math for them and let them know that they charged me a total of $157, when I only used $41 worth of "incidentals". At that time I was told to leave my name and number and when done looking into the issue would receive a call back. Needless so say I declined that offer and chose to stay on the line until my account was credited back the amount I was due. Frustrating to say the least to come to a city for the first time, be told I am to check out a day before my flight leaves, allow drug users on site without any sort of consequences when there was an officer parked at the entrance at that time, and then to charge me without the okay to do so is completely out of line. I will never stay there again and caution anyone else to beware of booking at this hotel. There are plenty of other hotels in the vicinity of the great city of Chicago and I will most definitely return as I had a wonderful time all things considered.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
2  Thank Tanya D
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Beautifully clean room and ensuite on 11th floor with floor to ceiling window. The heating looked like night-storage radiators (might have only looked like it) and we turned the fan off because the room was really warm even though the weather was chilly. LM restaurant served good breakfasts and we had dinner there once. As already stated by others, a pleasant location over- looking the park and was within walking distance of everwhere including Sears and Macey's and the Chicago River. The blue line train for the airport is around 25 mins walk away, even with suitcases and an absolute bargain fare of $2.25. The lobby was being refurbished in stages which meant there was no-where to sit and wait, but it wasn't dusty or noisy. When the lobby is done, Essex Inn, double gazing would be good as the L trains were quite loud from our room on the side!

Reviewed April 14, 2013

It would be easy to be put off by the superficial appearance of this hotel. It is old. The decor is somewhat dated. The heating/cooling system is bizarre. However, the hotel is in a great location just a few minutes walk from Field museum and Shedd Aquarium. The L train is just two blocks away which made getting around the city easy - less than30 mins to both Wrigley Field and US cellular. The pool and fitness room is nice. The rooms are comfortable. The housekeeping staff do an excellent job and all the staff were friendly and welcoming. The hotel is being refurbished and the lobby, which was finished the day we left, looked great. I would really recommend this hotel if you want a reasonably priced hotel in an excellent location.

2  Thank Nikki A