“Average”

Ranked #137 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Pella, Iowa
“Average”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Loved the pool, bathroom was small, no microwave. nice to be within walking distance of the downtown museums. It could use updating. Also a little better planning on arriving quests. If I have made reservations for two adults and two children listed I would expect more than two towels in the room

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank rawra

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I am a single traveler and work two blocks from the Essex Inn. I stayed there the night before Thanksgiving so I could walk to my Amtrak train at Union Station early on Thanksgiving morning. I used a bidding site, looking for a room at a low price and so did not get to choose the specific hotel before giving my credit card information. The price was unbelievably low for downtown Chicago. If all you want is a cheap place to stay in Chicago, go for it. If you care about comfort, cleanliness and good taste, keep looking. Don't be fooled by the renovated lobby; the clean, tasteful look ends there. The indoor pool would be great for kids, but I found the greenhouse structure over it depressing, especially since my room window looked right down onto it and made me visible to people in the pool area (and at very close range). Definitely ask for a room high enough to be well clear of the roof of the pool area. The bed was knobby and uncomfortable, the carpet did not seem clean and I made sure not to go barefoot, the extra blanket was riddled with holes, the hallway stank. And do not even think about using the stairs to bypass the elevator. (I was on a low floor.) The stairway was filthy, smelly and depressing. There is an outdoor patio outside the pool area, but it is surrounded (at least in November) by a tall plexiglass wall that made the view disappointing. It seemed just as worn and musty as the rest of the hotel. Overall, the room served my purpose--a cheap night's sleep before an early departure. Will I ever return? No, and I feel so strongly about it that I won't use the bidding process again, but will always choose my particular hotel, at least in Chicago's south Loop.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a nice view, if possible. Definitely ask for something on floor six or hi...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank ArlieinChicago

Travelers are raving about these Chicago hotels

Chicago
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Don't bother staying here. Besides the bathroom light switch being broken and other minor issues this place is outdated and not worth it. Anyone could walk in through the parking garage entrance and do whatever they want since they are re doing lobby and it is a joke as far as security.

Room Tip: Don't go.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank brucesprings
Carlos D, Manager at Chicago's Essex Inn, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable, safe, secure and friendly accommodations at Chicago’s Essex Inn.

I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. I have taken the opportunity to private message you, in hopes that you would be able to contact me directly. I would love to look into the challenges that you experienced on your stay with us. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.
Lyons, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed at he Essex inn in December 2012 and found the rooms excellent.The staff went out of their way to get us to all the palces we wanted to go. The shuttle service was wonderful.The elevators were fast to our 3rd floor room.

Room Tip: On a cold day in December the rooms are really warm, and there were people in the pool which was com...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank galapagos_2014
Singapore
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights, and it was 2 good nights.
Positives:
1. Room was clean, and had an awesome view. You can see the Michigan lake from the window (or at least, from my room's window. I'm not sure for all rooms though)
2. Location is good and bad. The good is that it is walking distance away from the Art institute (and Millennium Park) on the north side, and near the Shedd Aquarium (and other nearby attractions) on the south side. The walk is basically like 10mins.
3. Tons of eating options near the hotel, considering it is located on south Michigan avenue. Their booklet in the room kindly listed down these options, as well as their food type as well (italian/mexican/etc)
4. Bellboy was dependable and got us the taxi we needed. Very friendly and efficient.
5. Super friendly staff at the counter.
6. Sell Shedd Aquarium tickets at a discount.
7. Shuttle service running at certain times through the day.

Negatives:
1. The location was bad in the way that is it smack in the middle of two metro station (Roosevelt and Harrison). Therefore, in the shivering December cold, you have to walk like 5-10mins to either station. I can appreciate that this stroll would have been much lovelier in less harsh environmental conditions.
2. There are undergoing renovations at the lobby, and there isn't much space to accommodate guests and stuff. We checked out on New Year's Day, and everyone was checking out as well. The scene was chaotic, as you could imagine. The counter only had 2 personnel working.
3. No breakfast. But there is a restaurant that is attached to the lobby. And the food there is very decent, and fantastic value for money as well!

At this price, this place i would consider it as a steal.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Conjured
WI
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Great hotel for the price. Some things to keep in mind. You are in Chicago, in the loop. $41 parking is standard for valet service in hotels I've stayed at in the area. This is an older building so yes it is not brand new. You are not getting the Waldorf at a discount rate. If you are expecting a room and bathroom the size of your house and the other things I mentioned bother you look elsehwere.

If you are looking for a nice, clean, well run hotel for a family stay at a reasonable price this is the place for you. Great views, friendly staff, perfect location. This is a great hotel for those who care less about their hotel feeling like a fancy house, and don't mind it feeling like, I don't know, a hotel room. If you care more about a great location, value, and comfort as opposed to having a 500 sq ft bathroom, Essex Inn is perfect. Rooms are decent size, yes the bathrooms are a bit small, but come on it's a bathroom, do you really need it to be that big?

This will definitely be our first choice for a hotel when we visit Chicago (which we hope to do often). And we will definitely recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms on the corners have great views and windows on two sides.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Hallzoo
Manchester UK
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed here on a recent tour of Route 66. Hotel is very well located. Food in restaurant is good, stack of pancakes at breakfast is to die for! Very friendly & helpful restaurant staff. From what we saw, the accommodation areas od the hotel appeared a little tired although our room was clean & just fine for a couple of nights.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple