“Really good location, but unless you are using the pool or gym not the best value” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chicago's Essex Inn

Chicago's Essex Inn
Ranked #126 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

First the plus points, the Essex Inn has a great pool, and for the size of the hotel the gym (with Life Fitness equipment) is very good too. The WiFi works throughout the hotel so one can relax in say one of the sunloungers by the pool and still be connected.

The hotel is in a great location; everything seems to be walking distance.

Service was fine, but not great; for example, when another bed was requested, accompanying extra towels were not provided, and when these were requested they took ages to arrive.

I was less impressed with the rooms. The airconditioning is old and outdated and doesn't control the temperature very well. This is made worse by the fact that if you go at a particular time of year, you can only select heating (or cooling). In our case, as it was October, even though it was really pretty warm, we couldn't cool the room and had to open the window which made the room noisy.

For what the hotel is charging, the bathrooms really need updating. The bath surround in my room was a horrible linoleum/vinyl, and the temperature of the water could not be thermostatically controlled.

Overall, if you won't be using the pool or gym a lot, I would look elsewhere as other hotels in the area such as the Best Western provide larger and better equipped rooms. If you do want a nice pool and gym, this makes up for the shortcomings of the rooms.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

The hotel was centrally located to where we had to go. Millennium Park was up the street a few blocks as well as Lake Michigan. You could see Soldier Field from where we standing at Lake Michigan.

The hotel had a pool which I didn't use but there were adults and children using it when I peeked in to look.

I had breakfast down stairs which had great food, reasonable and the service was great.

I would definitely stay again. The only negative comment was the doors in the guest rooms slammed hard and loud which was a little annoying. Other than that I would have no problem coming back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
santiago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

The location of this hotel is excellent, but is very noisy.
On Michigan South, three blocks from the subway and besides the Hilton. Safe place and within walking distance to Chicago`s main attractions. There are some coffee places nearby also, no complimentary breakfast.
Checking in and out fast and easy.
I had an upgrade to a "suite" that turn out to be two connected rooms. Since I was a solo passenger it wasnt a big advantage. The room was outdated, confortable bed, limited TV channel selection. Bathroom was small but OK for me. Coffee machine in the room.
The problem was the noise. My room was behind the elevators, when I asked to be moved to another room the answer was that they were full. So much for the upgrade¡¡¡ On top of this was the noise from the train station behind. Other guests posted that was no trouble at all, but believe me it is. Be sure to take earplugs.
Overall, good price for Chicago, US150, good location. Would go back with earplugs.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

Not a bad hotel. We were only there for 2 days but it was nice and central.
Right opposite Grant Park which was lovely and within walking distance of Lake Michigan marina, the Aquarium and Museum.They have a brasserie attached to it so somewhere to eat and the Yolk restaurant is just up the road.

Room Tip: Only front rooms have a view. Our room overlooked the swimming pool
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
tucson
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

We enjoyed our stay here. The staff was excellent, the room was clean and nicely updated. Fabulous location within walking distance or short taxi ride to everything. If I had anything else to say I would recommend to Tripadviser not to make people write 200 characters per review because it hinders travelers from reviewing places when we don't want to write that much.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stay at the Essex every June for the Blues Festival in Grant Park. Most of the musicians stay there too.
From the minute we arrive we are treated like royalty. Braulio the bell hop & his team always go that extra mile to make sure we get what we want (theatre tickets etc.)
The rooms are lovely & kept spotlessly clean by the housekeeping staff & the beds are enormous. The only down side is the air con can be a bit noisy, but that is really minor.
If you want music, Buddy Guy's Legends club is only 1 block away.
I WOULDN'T STAY ANYWHERE ELSE!

Room Tip: Ask for a high corner room at the front. You can see from Navy Pier to The Shedd Aquarium. (further...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

I know this probably could happen anywhere, at any hotel. But as I told the front desk attendant Im repeating it again. IT SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN! UNACCEPTABLE!!!
When I open the door to the room for which I was given a key, a man (customer) was in the room. It horrified me and I was completely upset. They offered an upgrade, but I declined and went across the street to the Hilton.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
GMEssexInn, Director of Sales at Chicago's Essex Inn, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We really appreciate when guests provide honest comments (even when things don’t work out for them), as it helps us improve the service we offer. It is clear that we failed to provide the quality of service you deserve and that we aim to deliver. I would like to apologize for the unpleasant experiences that you had while staying with us.

We’d like an opportunity to chat you about your stay. Please contact us at sales@essexinn.com / 312-542-5115, or provide us with contact details if you prefer, so we can reach out to you.

Travelers are raving about these Chicago hotels