“infernal air con”

Chicago's Essex Inn
Ranked #140 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The hotel itself is well-located, but my problem was that the air conditioning in the passageways (particularly the 9th floor where I stayed) was infernal!! I woke up at about 2am with such a bad chill I thought I was in the Antarctic. I couldn't understand what was happening because I had turned off the aircon in my room. I realised the morning after that the cold was coming in under the door from the passage, where they had turned the aircon to such a point that it was freezing. I was there in August during the summer so I can understand the need for air conditioning but it really seems a waste to use such a lot of it. Besides the waste of electricity, it really made my stay quite unpleasant. The next night I plonked a towel under the doorway of my bedroom to stop the freezing air entering! Otherwise, rooms are big and fine and the location is good. Re hotel reception, some of the staff (not all) are quite surly and look like they hate their job - I understand though - I couldn't bear to live with that horrid air con every day!

Room Tip: The corner suite my friends stayed in was sunnier and nicer
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Linda N
There are newer reviews for Chicago's Essex Inn

Reviewed October 4, 2012

We took Amtrak from Portland to Chicago with our grandchildren. The Essex was a short taxi ride from the train station. Our room was small and the bathroom even smaller, but the location was great. Right across the street from the park which borders Lakes Mich. The Hilton, across the street is one of the stops for the city bus tours so it was easy to board for the sightseeing trips. Restaurant was good food. A little pricey. If you enjoy walking, many of the "must see" Chicago sites were within walking distance. Nice pool with a deck that looks out over the city.
Two elevators and they were slow.
Across the street was Kitty Oshea's restaurant and pub. Excellent food.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank washingtonobserver
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Stayed here recently, clean and acceptable room. Plenty of eateries in the locality. Great for visiting Buddy Guys Legends Club, only 5 mins away. Location is good for visiting the city and is just over the road to the waterfront and parks.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed for two nights and the room was spacious and comfortable. One downside was that it advertised free wi-fi but it was actually extremely slow and they obviously wanted you to upgrade to one of their paid packages. However, apart from that, we were happy with everything. The toiletries in the bathroom were good quality, and we had a side view of the lake.
Probably the best thing about it was the location as it is right on the park front and all attractions are nearby.

1  Thank chrisdsouth
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My mom and I stayed here for 4 nights last month in a "deluxe" king room and found it to be vastly overpriced. Based on the description, we thought we would have a view of the lake but from the 3rd floor, you only see the park. The room was rather small and the bath tiny. My mom's side of the bed was uncomfortable, the windows were dirty and the bedside lights were not bright enough for reading. That said, the staff were all very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This hotel is in a good location, its only about 2 blocks away from a CTA station and the staff are very helpful.. The restaurant on site is also a good choice and has many nice dishes to choose from. The decor is in need of a revamp as the overall appearance is dated but it is clean. We were on the 15th floor of the hotel but the noise of trains in the background was quite loud. If I was to go to Chicago again for a short 2 night break I would most likely stay somewhere a bit closer to the magnificent mile as that was all we seemed to be doing was walking to get to it!

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed here whilst on holiday in August, i found this hotel was well equiped for our needs very central to almost everywhere you would need to get to in chicago, this hotel is right opposit grant park and is a short walk to many other thing to see, although it is noisy outside once in your room never heard a think you get great views of lake michigan all in all a reasonably price hotel, i am a seasoned traveller and some of the reviews put on here are just not true mine is an honest review dont believe have the things you read that are negative

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple