“Customer Service Recovery Excellence”
Review of Inn of Chicago

Inn of Chicago
Ranked #145 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed June 27, 2014

I did not actually stay at the Inn of Chicago. I booked a reservation via Amtrak hotels. I wanted a room for one night, but did not notice that the site had defaulted check in and check out dates for a week. Before I realized my error, I had booked a hotel room for 7 nights for close to $1000. I immediately tried to cancel the reservation but received the message that whether I canceled or not, I would not be refunded. The next day I called Orbitz and the policy was repeated to me. I explained the situation and was told I could try calling the hotel to see if they would not charge Orbitz. After a few phone calls back and forth, I asked to speak to the hotel manager, and though he said the nonrefundable policy was driven by the contract between the hotel and Orbitz, he said he would contact Orbitz to communicate that the hotel would not charge Orbitz for the reservation, and requested they refund my money. In spite of several conflicting emails from Orbitz and the Amtrak site over the course of several days stating that they could not refund my money, I received an email from the hotel assistant manager confirming that Orbitz would refund my money. Fortunately that occured today. I am grateful for the effort made by the hotel manager and assistant manager to make this happen.

Room Tip: not applicable
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Inn of Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2014

Hi David- That is wonderful news! Your testament reveals just how much our team goes above and beyond for our guests. We appreciate you sharing how grateful you are for the refund, and hope you decide to stay with us sometime in the near future!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,891)

Reviewed June 26, 2014

Booked this through Priceline. When we arrived we were given a room with ONE queen bed and told that it was a room "for people who booked using a 3rd party payer" and to "upgrade" it was a $20 charge per night. I was traveling with my 15 year old daughter and felt there wasn't much choice. The hotel was MODERATELY clean. Service was decent but by no definition was it 3 star. The location of the hotel was convenient. When I paid the additional fee per night to have 2 beds, we were then told we would have a "renovated" room. Not so. The linens were stained. The bathroom was tiny.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Kelly W
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Inn of Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Hi Kelly W- We regret to learn about your disappointing experience. Please be assured that we value every one of our guests, and do everything to make sure their stay is as enjoyable as possible. It seems we fell short in delivering this basic promise to you, and for that we sincerely apologize. We will address your comments about the linens internally, and assure you it is not our standard to provide any substandard amenities to our guests.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

I also got Groupon deal. I was going to Chicago and my wife found the Groupon offer. The description Groupon gave was NOT what I found. The halls had stains on the floor. I had a reservation for a suite because I was traveling with a male friend and we both snore. I expected a queen bed in a room and fold out couch in the other area. We got to the room and found it was just one room. When we mentioned this to the desk, they said their suites have the queen bed and that none of their rooms have a separate bedroom. My friend got a separate room. The hotel is just OK, but just feels rather run down.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Stefanoh

Dear Stefanoh,
We regret to learn if our Groupon offer did not specify that our guest rooms do not have a separate bedrooms. Please accept our apology for the confusion, and hope you will give us another opportunity to regain your confidence in us.

Reviewed June 20, 2014

Stayed here while on vacation and have to say I was nervous before arriving because of some negative comments found here but was pleasantly surprised. All the workers at the desk were friendly, informative and professional. Was hoping to check in early due to an early flight arrival and was unable to do so but the hotel offered a bag service and stored all our luggage for us so we could enjoy to city on our first day. The location is amazing it’s within walking distance of almost everything. Has a 7 eleven, dunkin donuts, Burrito Beach and Baskin Robins across the street which were all so convenient. The hotel itself is a little older but it adds to its charm. We were on the 18th floor and had a nice view towards the Magnificent Mile and had a clean and comfortable room. The bathroom is on the smallish side but it is functional and the shower has plenty of hot water and pressure. Unfortunately the Air Conditioner kicked off more often than we would have liked but the room was still a comfortable temperature. Overall I would stay here again and recommend it to anyone looking for a clean, friendly and budget friendly place in a perfect location.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JulieatSibu
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Inn of Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Dear JulieatSibu,
Great comments! We are very happy to hear that our location and service exceeded expectations during your stay. Thank you for recommending us to fellow travelers, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed June 19, 2014

This hotel was okay for the price (after getting a deal on Groupon). It's very old, our room was a little smelly, there's a bed sheet over the comforter so you don't see the stains. The bathroom is tiny with no counter space. The website is very deceiving as I didn't see anything that looks like the pictures on their site. Our air conditioner was a beast, and would kick on (very loudly) ever 2-3 mins to cool the room for approximately a minute and then shut off. It was very hard to sleep with. But again, we couldn't beat the price with the Groupon deal and it was downtown and close to everything. The Sky terrace is awesome and a great place to sit in the sun with a book. If you're just looking for a hotel to sleep in at night without all the bells and whistles, this is the place for you. The one unique thing about this hotel that we love was the texting service. When you check in they ask for a cell phone number and then send you a text. You can reply back to this text at any time with questions of where to eat, when is check out, etc.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jamie Z

Dear Jamie Z,
We are glad you appreciated our text messaging service during your stay. This tool has proven very successful among our guests that have questions, concerns or requests while on property. We regret if the HVAC noise caused any inconvenience during your stay, and hope that you thought about using earplugs to help drown out the sound. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

We were on our honeymoon and stayed at this hotel. First off, they didn't honour our reservation of contemporary queen even though they had rooms available. The front desk suggested TGI Fridays to eat on our first night. We had to ask for another suggestion. Not our idea of a romantic dinner. The bathroom was tiny and the floor was do dirty I wouldn't go in barefoot. We were disappointed that the terrace closed at ten pm and didn't have bar service. That is misleading on the webpage. The only plus was that the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank Karla C

Dear Karla C,
We regret to learn about your disappointing honeymoon experience. Please be assured that we value every one of our guests, and do everything to make sure their stay is as enjoyable as possible. It seems we fell short in delivering this basic promise to you, and for that we sincerely apologize. Please be assured that our guest rooms are thoroughly cleaned and do not want our guests to feel uncomfortable walking around barefoot.

Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I paid 650 for two nights and were not pleased. Our room was old - rundown, the bathrooms were tiny, the elevators took forever and the rooftop patio was dirty and unkept. Rather have paid a little bit extra and stayed elsewhere. We picked this hotel since most hotels in Chicago were booked for an oncology conference which drove up prices and inventory. Only plus, location, location, location! Close to all hotspots and a block off the magnificent mile. Walking distance to Navy Pier, Canals and fabulous dining. Btw, The Armenian restaurant across the street is amazing!!!

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank BennettTravels
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Inn of Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Dear BennettTravels,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us while you were in town for the annual ASCO conference. Since our hotel is a historic building in downtown Chicago, our accommodations are a bit smaller and more simplistic than other modern hotels in Chicago. We continually maintain and clean our hotel on a 24/7 basis, and would never let our hotel become rundown. Our hotel's central location outshines other nearby accommodations, and glad you were able to experience this firsthand.