“Great Corporate Team Building Outing!”

Fox in a Box Chicago
Ranked #2 of 109 Fun & Games in Chicago
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Experience the ultimate reality escape at Fox in a Box - Chicago! Our exceptional escape room adventures are ideal for families, corporate team-building groups and friends just looking for a fun and engaging brain-twisting challenge. Themed missions accommodate teams of 2-5 people and have a 60-minute time limit.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
Reviewed June 15, 2016

I stumbled across "Fox in the Box" while researching opportunities for a team building event in Chicago. This is the absolute definition of "team building." We took 36 members from our corporate office and, although many were reluctant at first (not being familiar with escape rooms), all were raving about what a great time they had! Vince was extremely helpful in organizing everything for us (we had to go in two groups because they can only take 20 people at a time) and even coordinated with Bar Louie (next door) to host our waiting group while the others played. The game masters were great - obviously enjoyed their jobs - and were helpful with clues, when needed. We were a little bit of a rowdy bunch (out to have good time on a Thursday afternoon) and they all played right along with us. We ran all 4 rooms, twice, and only had 2 teams that didn't escape in time. I would highly recommend Fox in the Box and Bar Louie for celebratory drinks after you escape!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
All reviews
in 169 reviews
"blast"
in 80 reviews

Reviewed June 10, 2016 via mobile

My wife and I are avid escape room fans. We did the bank room, which is one of the more difficult rooms (from what they told us). We escaped with 4 minutes to spare. The only negative you say is that our guide was a bit too helpful by constantly talking to us and giving little hints when we hadn't formally asked for it. Overall a good experience. Staff at the front desk was very nice, and they have cell phone charging available while you are in your room.

Vincent R, Owner at Fox in a Box Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2016

Thank you very much for visiting us and for taking the time to write a review. It is helpful to know that you think that our GM may be a bit too helpful. It is one of our challenges that so many of our guests have not done escape rooms previously that we sometimes get over enthusiastic to help. I will make it a point that we better debrief our customers before play to get a feeling for if they are confident participants and do not need our typical level of support. Thank you.

Reviewed June 1, 2016

We did the bunker room for a family reunion and it was a great experience. The staff were friendly and enthusiastic, the room was fun. We would definitely go again. I have done escape rooms in the past but this was had its own individual elements.

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit us and to write a review. We really appreciate your perspective.

Reviewed May 26, 2016

I'll be fair here with pros and cons

PROS: The escape room is fun, we did the bank vault scenario where we had to break into the banks vault after figuring out clues to get past two rooms and finally into the vault. Was fun for our team of 4. Our guide was nice and pleasant too, really liked her. They allow you a tip/hint every 10 minutes too, so out of your hour allotment you can request tips up to 5 times, which was cool for when/if you get stumped.

CONS: First off, this isn't a place you happen on during a night on the town in the city. It appears to be more of a place you have to make reservations for as it is in the basement of a small office building on south side of downtown Chicago. Somewhat hard to find and there aren't a lot of signs advertising this place. Secondly, we scheduled a room a few weeks in advance, and got there early liked they requested to prep. NO ONE was there, the place was locked. After waiting and knocking (we thought that might have been a test too) for 20 minutes we finally called them. Oops they forgot about us. They sent someone down, but by the time we started it was an hour past our original start time. This inconvenience caused us to miss our dinner reservation after the escape room, and had to go on standby with our party for another 45-50 mins at the restaurant (overall Fox's slip up cost us over 2hrs or wasted time on our night out in Chicago). Very unprofessional in their organization skills if you ask me. I was ready to leave, but others in our party wanted to wait it out. It was fun, but thought the unprofessional attitude of the place totally ruined our night out.

I gave you the PROS & CONS, but in short I would NOT recommend this place. Find another "escape room" experience in Chicago. This one is not worth the risk of whether they'll show up or not.

5  Thank bruce p

First of all, I would like to thank you for your feedback. A poor rating is of course very disappointing and it alerts me to take steps to ensure future customers do not have a similar terrible experience.

I have done my best to research how this has happened given the limited information which you provided, and I cannot find anything which was booked 2+ weeks out for The Bank for 4 people which makes any sense with your story (going back to January 1).  Either bookings were amidst several other bookings, or I am positive that I was there at the time.

Relaxing the requirements to just 1 week out (rather than several weeks of notice that you specified) and including April (rather than the May you said you visited in), it may have aligned with the one of two instances where we had a game master fail to show on time at our site.  In this case it was due to me changing the assigned GM and failing to text the new GM.  For this, I took full responsibility.  (In the other case, the GM is no longer with the organization). I reached out to the leader of this group (who is planning to return in August), and he did not recognize your name.

After many hours researching your case, perhaps there is something substantially different in your story from what matches the records that I’m able to find.  Considering that you took so much time with this, I would appreciate it very much if you could contact me at info@foxinaboxchicago.com or 312-878-7899 so I can get to the bottom of what happened here and help ensure it never happens again to anyone — after all, isn’t that your goal?  As you no doubt can see from our numerous other reviews, we strive for the very best of experiences and I would both like to make this up to you and ensure the best possible experience for our future guests.