“Blown away by the service and accomodations!”

Renaissance Blackstone Chicago Hotel
Ranked #40 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Boston, ma
“Blown away by the service and accomodations!”
Reviewed September 7, 2009

We stayed at the Blackstone in early August to go to the Lollapalooza Music Festival and to visit area colleges. We were really blown away by all aspects of the hotel (except for reservations but I will get to that later). The service in the hotel was really topnotch and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Room service went out of their way to accommodate us, when we arrived after 10 p.m. and required vegan choices for my daughter. The food was excellent in both the Mercat Restaurant and room service (which I often try to avoid). The staff did an incredible job as the hotel was completely booked and it was very hectic for the first three days we were here. Even our housekeeping service was friendly and accommodating. It did appear that everyone that worked here really enjoyed their job and was interested in making sure you were happy. The rooms were very comfortable. Plenty of space and well laid out. The beds were extremely comfortable. The bathrooms were spacious and we loved the walk in shower (no bathtub). We were also surprised that the rooms were pretty quiet. No noise from the street but we could definitely hear the music festival although this didn't bother us as it ended at 10 p.m. every night. The weather was brutally hot - high 90's but our room and the rest of the hotel was always nice and cool.

The location is good if you are interested in going to the museums and aquarium as well as spending time in the parks. The restaurants within walking distance were somewhat limited.

The one area that we had a problem was with reservations. I requested a double room (two beds) connected to a king room. I was later sent an email letting me know that my request was not available, although I did not realize this at first as I thought it was just a confirmation. Once I realized this, I called the hotel back and was told that I should call two weeks before arrival and was led to believe that this would be possible. I called two weeks out and was told to call back a few days before arrival. When I did this, I was told to call back two days before arrival and when I did this I was told to call the day before and then the day of. During this time, not once was I told that there are very few rooms in the hotel that have doubles (I think it is one per floor) and that the likelihood was not good that one would be available. In addition to that, these are also the only rooms that connect. We ended up with two rooms each with a king that did not connect. This definitely effected our trip as my husband and I each had to share a room and a bed with one of our children. In the end, the accommodations and service made us glad that we stayed here.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank muttger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Korean first
U.S.A.
Reviewed September 7, 2009

My wife and I were celebrating our 22nd Wedding Anniversary and decided on The Blackstone Hotel on Michigan Ave. in Chicago. Before our stay we were contacted via email with a personal note regarding our arrival. This was a very nice touch. I informed them of our anniversary and when we arrived at our room we had been upgraded to a lake view room (the view was spectacular on a beautiful September Chicago day) and we had a bottle of wine and appetizer awaiting us. It was truely a surprise. Molly in the sales department should be commended for taking such good care of us on our special day.

The room was very ecclectic and comfortable. I was blown away by how nice the hotel had been redone. It was decorated in dark rich colors and there was attention paid to every detail. The room was spacious, with a king bed, and comfortable. Even though our room lacked a tub, the shower was very nice and the "rainshower" head was out of this world relaxing. Our room overlooked the lake and the city and was the best part of the room. If given the choice in the future I would definately pay extra to upgrade to this type of room again...it was that special. About the only bad thing I can say about the room (1618) was that the noise was a little noticable from the city 16 floors below which was a surprise. We only noticied it in the morning and only when there was an ambulance or morning train whistle. Otherwise we never noticed anything during the night.

We requested early chcek in and late check out and it was not a problem and the staff could not have been more accomodating to us. We had drinks at the Mercat Bar and they were fantastic. I really have never felt so "taken care of" while staying at a hotel. Only one person knew it was our anniversary but it seemed as though everyone knew and applied the special touch.

Again, The Blacksone Hotel in Chicago is now my favorite "Home away from home" when I visit the city.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JKBOPB
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed August 27, 2009

This historic building is absolutely beautiful. Don't let the age put you off -- the rooms have been updated and provide a perfect guest stay. Ours faced Lake Michigan so we could look out over the weekend fireworks at Navy Pier.

If you need to be at the Chicago Hilton for an event, skip the Hilton and stay across the street at the Blackstone.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 27, 2009

My teenage sister and I stayed at The Blackstone during American Idol auditions. It was an incredibly convenient location with in & out parking privileges which allowed us to go back and forth between the auditions with no problem. It was just across the street (a short 2 minute walk) from Lake Michigan.

On the interior of the hotel the decor was incredible!!! In the lobby they maintained the historical details of the building. On the interior of the rooms they were amazing. The place has obviously had a complete overhaul from top to bottom and the finishing touches show that whoever did the renovation paid very close attention to detail and used all high-end finishes.

Everything in the hotel room was better than we could have asked for from the amazingly fluffy beds and pillows to the fully stocked mini fridge, to the flat screen TV, huge desk and the bathroom. The bathroom was impeccable with marble floors and counter tops. We never heard anything through the walls either. The place is built completely solid.

The staff was also incredibly helpful. We had a great experience and would stay here again any day of the week.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank seattleep
Ontario
Reviewed August 21, 2009

We stayed at the Blackstone for 3 nights in August. Overall, we were pleased with the accomodations. The room was quite spacious, the beds were very comfortable and the staff members were helpful. We picked this hotel because it had been recently renovated and they did a wonderful job with it. It's not too big a hotel either which i think is great when you have kids with you. We had breakfast at the Mercat each morning and it was enjoyable and fairly priced.
There is 1 thing I did not like. The day we were leaving (August 7th) was the beginning of La La Palooza. Prior to making my reservation, i phoned the hotel to ask whether or not they could accomodate a late check-out on the 7th. I was told it shouldn't be a problem. The day i checked in (August 4th), i was told the same thing although they told me i should let them know the morning of the 7th. So i did. And the response I got was, "i'm sorry but because of the La La Palooza" taking place this weekend, we are unable to accomodate your reuqest." Well, it's not like the festival came as a surprise. I would have appreciated it if I had been told of this prior to confirming my reservation. If this is an annual event that sells out their rooms, they could have been honest about it from the get-go and told me so. The location of the Blackstone places it right at the center of the festival - i could have picked a hotel more north of Grant Park to have avoided this. So that actually annoyed me that day.
Otherwise, it you are looking for a comfortable, clean and upscale place to stay, the Blackstone would be it.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank ellabelli-41
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed August 20, 2009

I travel for work (and sometimes leisure) often. I try to stay in a new place each time until I find my favorite hotel in each city. I have to say that the I've stayed in a number of Chicago hotels & I can definitely say that the Blackstone is hands down, my favorite.

Here's what I like about the place:
*conveniently located
*staff is friendly
*starbucks connected with hotel
*rooms are well designed and very very comfortable (beds)
*also conveniently set up for business, internet
*and most importantly the hotel just has a pleasant and uplifting energy about it (if you believe in that sort of thing). I just feel happy when I stay here. A good, comfortable atmosphere that's stylish.

Cons:
*paying for wifi

I would definitely recommend.

Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Lives4Travel
Boston
Reviewed August 14, 2009

Great hotel, great staff, great location.Great fitness center. Buy a 3 day transit pass. Well worth it. You can get everywhere by subway or bus from this hotel.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family