“If I could live at The Blackstone, I would!!!”

Renaissance Blackstone Chicago Hotel
Ranked #40 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Salt Lake City, Utah
“If I could live at The Blackstone, I would!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2009

WOW!!! What a GREAT find! I just returned from a wonderful trip to Chicago and staying at The Blackstone was definitely a highlight! From the moment we arrived we received nothing but top of the line service.....every person on the staff was over the top friendly, courteous and helpful. The rooms were SPACIOUS and GORGEOUS. Obviously recently updated, our room had a marble entry and bathroom, the beds had down comforters, a plasma TV on the wall, and plenty of room to spread out! It was quiet and very clean. There is a nice business center with two computers with free internet access and printers (this was great to research directions or restaurants). It is directly across the street from Grant Park and there are a few eateries within a few blocks. One night we came back to the hotel late (around 11pm or so) and wanted to order pizza.....the woman at the front desk provided us with three different brochures of nearby places that deliver! Our midnight snack was delicious! As far as getting around, the subway is about 2 blocks away, however we found that the buses were super convenient and easy to use.....or, we walked! We were two single gals traveling together and we never felt unsafe anywhere around the hotel (or, anywhere in Chicago). We paid $99/night in mid-April for two queen beds.....what a steal! I even booked on the Marriott website so I didn't have to pre-pay and could cancel up until 4pm on our arrival date if needs be. Luckily that wasn't the case! We were told by a local that this hotel used to fall into the "seedy" category, however it was recently purchased by Marriott and they are trying to turn around it's previous reputation. So far, I believe they are doing a FABULOUS job!!! I would HIGHLY recommend this property to anyone staying in Chicago.....a great hotel and great location!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank darcijw1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Korean first
Northern Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2009

My husband and I traveled to the Blackstone during the week while he attended a show at the conference center. What an amazing experience it was at the Blackstone. From the moment we arrived, the valet and bellboy staff were so friendly....to the check-in desk (who certainly had their hands full with so many people checking in at one time). They were extremely efficient to get us in quickly! The lobby had such a unique vibe to it that carried throughout the hotel....upscale, classy, yet in a truly funky way!

Our room was really nice....not a terrific view, but that wasn't a concern. The room we had was pretty narrow, but long. The room was furnished in highly contemporary and modern furnishings. The bed was amazingly comfortable! I loved the books that they had on the bookshelves to read while I was there. The bathroom was pretty unique with a shower stall which was just a clear glass wall.

The best part of the hotel was the elevators....one thing I'll never forget. You couldn't help but smile in the morning when you went in them with not your typical elevator music....rather, upbeat dance music! We'll definitely stay here again! Great location, too, within walking distance of an incredible breakfast place (Yolk) and a corner cafe/deli.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank nkytraveler
ringwood
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2009

Was staying in town for business and attending a convention at McCormick. This hotel was a 7 minute bus ride (bus provided by the convention which stopped at the Hilton located next door). The staff was very helpful, rooms were spacious and clean with a contempory feel. Had a wonderful view of the lake.

Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2009

This is a great hotel if you don't want to be right in the middle of shopping and would rather be closer to museums, universities, etc. Do ask for a room with a view and you will wake up to Grant Park and Lake Michigan. Everything about this hotel is unique (including the metallic gold tufted couches in the lobby). The rooms are very modern and have tremendous bathrooms. There's a Starbuck's in the lobby and a great tapas restaurant. Parking was expensive, but it's expensive everywhere in downtown Chicago. My daughter and I walked to shopping and restaurants and saw the Chicago River turn green. It was a great place.

• Stayed March 2009
2 Thank KentuckyMagpie
Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2009

I went to the AORN Congress this last week and stayed at the Blackstone. I purchased my room through Priceline so I feel the value was exceptional. The room was beautiful with a nice bathroom and rainfall shower. The service is what puts this hotel above many others. The staff was fantastic. I was made to feel welcome and valued as a customer. The location is great with most attractions within a $7 cab ride or within walking distance. Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, the planetarium, Navy Pier, and the Magnificent Mile. The food at the Blackstone was good if not a little expensive. I paid $16 for a sandwich via room service but what I got was so big it was lunch and dinner. I highly recommend the Blackstone when staying in Chicago, I know I will go back.

1 Thank woolgirls
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2009

This hotel was amazing. The location is right on Michigan Ave (on one end) so you can walk all along it for great restaurants, shopping and sightseeing. In terms of the hotel itself, the decor is very trendy, while still maintaining its historical facade. Everything seemed very new and well maintained. The room (king size) was nicely composed, flat screen HD, comfy chairs and shower but no bath.

The best part for me was the free internet in the business center, I also liked the witty 'do not disturb' signs that read instead "Please Go Away - I am debating with JFK"

Overall a very pleasant stay, great location, great hotel and at a decent price!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank 781elephant
Baton Rouge, LA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2009

A nicely refurbished classic old hotel with elegant public areas and modern, comfortable, spacious, well-supplied, and well-operating rooms. Friendly staff in the lobby. Just three blocks to the Art Institute and a few more blocks to State Street shopping and some of the business centers. All in all a very pleasant place and a great value (though the tapas restaurant inside was overcrowded and overpriced). Highly recommended.