“Cool hotel”

Ranked #36 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GREENVILLE
“Cool hotel”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Very cool hotel on south michigan avenue, sort of a walk to shopping area, but still great location for Grant park, millennium park & the aquarium/museums. Parking is very expensive so parked several blocks away for only $20/night! Room was big & comfortable. VERY quiet! No view to speak of. Red line access on Polk/Harrison- easy to get to all locations.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Hi Carolinagirl19 -
Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review of the hotel! Although the hotel is historic, there are a number of contemporary touches throughout the property that do make it "cool"! Glad you liked it. I'm glad that you found it convenient and a great location. I hope you visit us again soon.
Kim C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
  • Korean first
Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

What a beautiful hotel with easy access to Millenium Park and Buckingham fountain. Close to the Blue line subway system.
Rooms were spacious and the view of Lake Michigan frontage skyline worth the price of admission alone.
The staff is welcoming , warm and wonderful includes great service at every turn. Food and drinks well worth the on site dining. Air conditioning perfect in the 90 degree outside heat.
We will be back. For sure!!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Thomas M
Hello, Thomas!
I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay including the location, the room and the restaurant experience! Especially important is the way you were treated by the staff and I'm thrilled that you found them to be warm, welcoming and GREAT! I will definitely pass on your comments. I hope that you will visit us again soon.
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Maybe our new favorite Chicago hotel. Good location, and a mageable sized hotel; not a big convention hotel. Great on site restaurant. Staff professional and helpfull. The real surprise were the rooms: nice size including bathroom and closets. One of best furnished and equipped rooms we have had in a U.S. hotel, would have been very comfortable for a longer then our 2 night stay; mini refrigerator a plus in a "4 star" hotel.

Hello, H D F,
Thank you for your kind comments and for taking the time to write a review! I am thrilled that we exceeded your expectations and hope that next time you will stay for longer than 2 nights! Let me know the next time you come to Chicago!
Columbus
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I spent 5 nights at the Blackstone earlier this month and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The rooms were very nice and the historic property was in great condition. The staff wrote me encouraging notes and left in my room and were helpful the whole week. Being directly across from Grant park provided a wonderful place to get out and walk and enjoy Chicago.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the park
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Hello JonG,
Thank you, thank you, thank you, for your review of the hotel! We really appreciate the time and effort that it takes and will absolutely share your comments with the team. Staying multiple nights away from home is not easy but I am so pleased that we made it great for you!
I hope that you will visit us again soon.
Chicago
Reviewed July 21, 2014

We attended a wedding at The Blackstone and we were very impressed with the service, organization and overall ambience! What a beautiful location for a wedding, and a very unique and elegant experience! The entire evening took place on multiple floors and in various rooms -- and I was highly impressed with the organization and efficiency, not to mention the set up of each new designated area we were guided to throughout the evening. It had a sophistication and charm that's unparalleled to anything I've ever experienced. It was by far the best, most impressive wedding and reception I've ever attended!

We stayed in a Club Room on the 22nd floor facing the Lake. The room was quite small, but very clean, very modern and perfect for our stay. If you would like to save on parking, I would utilize the cozy lot next to the hotel. It is an uncovered parking lot (and a bit tight when full or near capacity), but it's only $40 for 24 hours and you can pre-pay (just be sure to leave your parking receipt visible inside your car on the dash.)

It's close to the Art Institute and about a 15 minute walk or so to The Field Museum. (If interested in shopping on the Mag Mile, however, I would recommend staying on North Michigan Ave.)

Wonderful experience. Awesome wedding and reception. Very impressed overall and would recommend to anyone looking to have a gorgeous, unique wedding experience that is sure to impress!!

• Stayed July 2014
Hi BeachyKeen,
I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Blackstone and that the wedding you attended was a memorable one! We take great pride in the fabulous weddings we are able to host and love to help couples make amazing memories! Our beautiful historic hotel lends itself to weddings and the interesting and unique spaces add to the charm.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! We hope that you will visit us again soon.
Manhattan Beach, California
Reviewed July 21, 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. Room was not get clean, dirty towels were left in bathroom, and toiletries were not new. Not sure what housekeeping did. Furthermore, everything thing, except the ballroom, feels very old, tired or dated.

Given that this is a four-star hotel, we were certain additional amenities; such as a free newspaper delivered to the room was not provided.

As an aside, left our steamer in the room and once back home, contacted housekeeping and left a message - never received a call back. Called again and was directed to another department manager - again never received a return call. Finally, on principal, contacted the hotel several days ago, asking to speak to the the General Manager - again no return call.

The steamer isn't a critical item, however, the Blackstone's Hotel lack of customer service and professionalism is and their lack of cleanliness is certainly something to take into consideration.

Room Tip: It's a shame that the services provided and the lack of cleanliness are an issue, because this h...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Hi Manhattan Beach,
I am soooo sorry that no one has gotten back to you yet! I am definitely checking into why in order to assure that similar situations do not recur in the future! Cleanliness of guest rooms is generally something that we pride ourselves on so I can assure you that I will be looking into it!
Please let me know the next time you come to Chicago so we can try to make it up to you.
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed July 19, 2014

My daughter and I arrived in Chicago and were warmly welcomed to the city as soon as we entered the Blackstone. The lobby is beautiful and unique. The desk clerk was enthusiastic and friendly. Upon hearing that it was our first trip to Chicago, she put us in a lake view room on the 14th floor! She then informed us about the Taste of Chicago Festival happening at Grant Park. Our room was absolutely lovely! I have stayed in hotels in many cities/countries and can honestly say that the bed was the most comfortable one of all. The hotel's location was perfect for us. It is a short walk to the Aquarium, Field Museum, Planetarium, Buckingham Fountain, and the Art Institute. Also, the bus (#3) runs continuously up and down Michigan Avenue if you want to visit the Magnificent Mile, from which you can take a free trolley out to Navy Pier. Just around the corner from the hotel is Buddy Guy's Legends (Blues Club). Lou Malnati's Pizza and Yolk (best breakfast EVER!) are each just a block or so away. The hotel has a cool Art Floor that is worth a visit, too. Although we didn't eat at the hotel, we did order room service. We ordered 2 cheeseburgers (that I ordered well done - big mistake) a glass of wine, and a pepsi. This was the only disappointment of the hotel. Each burger was almost $20, wine was $12 and I don't remember the cost of the pepsi. They charged a $5 delivery fee and then tacked on a 15% tip after that (sneaky) bringing the total to over $75. You expect to pay a lot for room service, but I thought that was plain silly. However, the room was fabulous, the staff extremely helpful, and the overall experience wonderful!

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view. You do hear the street noise a bit (even on the 14th floor!), but it's wort...
Hi K2Boyer,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! I will absolutely share your comments with the team, especially the Front Desk Staff as they work hard to try and exceed the expectations of our guests! I am so glad that you enjoyed a warm welcome as well as the fabulous hotel room. I am sorry that room service left something to be desired - and we will take your comments to heart!
I hope that you will come and visit us again soon.