“What a Great Surprise for her Birthday!”

The Blackstone, Autograph Collection
Ranked #36 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed September 2, 2008

I decided on a surprise for my wife in the city. Unfortunately, like many others, family life and children don't always allow us the opportunity for romantic getaways. I searched for the right place and I sure am glad that I found The Blackstone Hotel. Located sweetly on Michigan Ave, across the street from Grant Park. This was ultra convienent because it was also the weekend of the Chicago Jazz Festival. First thing we noticed when we went in was the nostalgic lobby (except of course the Starbucks downstairs). The employees were friendly and courteous and gave us our room on the 18th floor. The Deluxe suite was loaded with modern decor an amenities that were hard not to love (HD flatscreen TV, iHome alarm clock, etc.) The bathroom was spacious with quite a unique (in a good way) shower. The only thing lacking was great water pressure. But probably the most important aspect, the bed, was right on point. Spacious and comfortable king with down comforter and down pillows. What's not to enjoy?

I plan for us to go back again. It definitely left a mark on us, and we loved our getaway. I imagine you will too.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank playmaker16
Write a ReviewReviews (2,121)

Reviewed September 1, 2008

My husband and I had friends who had their wedding and reception at the Blackstone on Aug. 30th. According to the staff, it was the first wedding at the hotel since the renovations. We were both in the wedding party and were privy to many of the things behind the scenes that the guests were not. I speak for both my husband and I when I say that we were blown away at the level of service and the quality of the stay over the course of the weekend. Our friends had hired a wedding planner, but the staff at the hotel , especially Flavia, were the ones who really made the wedding day as special as it was. All of the staff were very accomodating and attentive to the bride as well as the groom, going above and beyond making sure that needs were met and that everything was taken care of.

The rooms were wonderful, modern touches but very comfortable. The bride had booked the "Smoking" suite (one of the rooms with quite a bit of political history) for her over the weekend. We have NEVER seen a room as spectacular as this -the view overlooked Buckingham Fountain, Navy Pier and Lake Michigan, there were 2 bathrooms and the master bathroom has a TV in the mirror and there was a bedroom a sitting room and a combined dining and living room.

The crystal ballroom was where the reception was held. The room was amazing and the hotel staff, including a manager, was present during the entire night to make sure that things ran smoothly. We live in Chicago and could have easily gone home, but wanted our time at the Blackstone to be extended as long as possible so we were more than happy to have stayed overnight.

This was the best hotel we have ever stayed in, this includes the Ritz Carlton in St. Thomas we stayed at for our honeymoon, and would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a place to have a wedding.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank JK2005Chicago_IL
Reviewed August 18, 2008

Traveled back to Chicago to celebrate our wedding anniversary. After looking at numerous hotels on North Michigan Ave. we tried something different, stayed on the garden side of South Michigan, and are we glad we did!! Everyone, from the front desk clerk to the maids were very nice. The room was Outstanding. Compared to the cost for the hotels on Michigan Ave. The Blackstone is a diamond in the ruff. After a 128 million dollar remodel, this will be my hotel to stay for years to come. I can't find anything negative about the property and made a reservation as soon as we got home to stay again next month. The view from our room wasn't the best, but walk out the doors and one block away is Grant Park, a few more blocks is the Lakefront. You can't go wrong with the Blackstone!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2008

There were 8 of us that stayed at the Blackstone on 8/9/08 for a Cubs baseball game. I booked 3 rooms through priceline and got a really good deal going that way. I was excited to see the hotel we got, and was looking forward to my trip back to Chicago. At check in we were informed there were no double beds available, which kind of put us in a bind since we had 2 couples sharing one room, plus there were no cots available, so we had 4 people in a king bed. I do have to say they were very apologetic and did bring us extra pillows and blankets, plus upgraded us to the 20th floor. Unfortunately when you book with priceline you can not request certain types of rooms.

The rooms are very well decorated and very clean. Being on the 20th floor we had a decent view of the skyline. We did not eat at the restaurant, but did stop in for bloody marys before leaving for the game, and that was one of the best bloody marys I have ever had. The red line is only a few blocks from the hotel, and not hard to find. There are a few bars within walking distance, including Legends (Buddy Guy's bar), unfortunately when we went up there on Saturday night they wanted a $15 cover. Since none of us are big blues fans we decided to skip that and walk up to the small bar on the corner that had very good prices on drinks and very friendly service.

If you want to go to the Navy Pier it is about a $9 - $10 cab ride. We did go to Dick's Last Resort for supper. One of my favorite places in downtown Chicago. The rest of the trip was the Cubs-Cards game, so spent a lot of time around Wrigley and hitting the Cubby Bear.

Checkout on Sunday was very fast and efficient. They made a point to make sure our stay was without any trouble. I would definitely stay at this hotel again. They definitely have done a great job of upgrading this hotel, and the staff makes it #1.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank jamerican88
Reviewed August 7, 2008

Just stayed a night at this hotel. Booked an oversized room, and it lived up to the billing - 2 Queens, good sized desk, lounge chair, very large bathroom, and lots of room between everything. Kind of felt like an apartment it was so big. Decorated in a chic, retro decor that works a lot better than some of the minimalist retro properties I've stayed at elsewhere, it really works here and gives the property a luxorious feel.

Property overall had a neat feel too, with good service at front desk and tapas restaurant in front lobby (tasty food too). Property undergoing some renovations, something you might want to ask about, but I was in an upper floor and it was a non-issue for me.

I really liked this hotel, wouldn't change a thing and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed August 7, 2008

I stayed here as the media guest of a large company, and though I'm happy to report that the rooms are very nicely updated, they are also quite small and you're going to pay extra ($15) for DSL internet access. The beds are great and the door staff are very friendly.
The only problem is that the desk staff are kids and barely know what they're doing. I had given them my credit card for incidentals and reminded them when I checked out, "Now, you're going to charge the room to THAT card (my sponsor's) and not THIS card, right?" Confused, 21 year old called over the 25 year old manager, who pointed out the card the room was supposed to be charged to, and I was assured there would be no problem. Sure 'nuff, I get home and find they've charged $600 to the wrong card and my checking account is now overdrawn. $100 in overdraft fees and hours of attempts to fix it, I'm still waiting for my money to be refunded a week later, and they've already charged the other card. Does that sound like a 5-Star hotel? Not to me.I won't be back.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank TimSanFrancisco
Reviewed July 25, 2008

I work for another hotel company but our hotels were full so I booked here as I had heard a lot about this recently renovated hotel. I was not dissapointed! They have kept the historic charm but at the same time it looks very trendy and cool. The hallways and public areas are unlike most cookie-cutter hotels. My room had a wonderful view of the lake and Fountain, and while it may have been a little small, it made up for it with a large stone entry cooridor and expansive bathroom with the largest showerhead I have ever seen. Healthclub was great as well, very large with windows and VERY hi-tech treadmills. Staff was friendly and helpful. Only issue was that room service was quoted as 45 min and took well over an hour - hotel was pretty busy.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)