“Good hotel, great location”

The Blackstone, Autograph Collection
Ranked #40 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
South Bend, Indiana
“Good hotel, great location”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Stayed at the Blackstone and had a really good weekend. Its location is great, right across from Grant Park and convenient for the Art Institute and easy access to shopping, although north Michigan Ave shopping is a bit of a walk. Service was good as was the food. Would definately stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Hi FlyingBishop!
Thanks so much for taking the time to critique the hotel and write a review! I am happy that you enjoyed yourself and especially glad that you would return again. We appreciate your business and look forward to saying welcome back!
Kim C.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Korean first
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. It is conviently located across from Grant park, very close to Buckingham fountain. It's in walking distance to everything, especially close to Millennium Park and the Art Institute. Magnificent Mile and Navy Pier are a little bit of a hike but the bus stop across the street will get you there in no time.
The room was spacious and relatively quiet considering the hotel is on a busy street. The staff could not have been nicer and were extremely helpful. The Starbucks off the lobby was also a plus.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Kwes82,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay, the location of the hotel and the service provided by the team! WE work very hard to provide a great experience and insure that the team exceeds expectations and I'm glad they did for you.
I hope you will return and visit us again soon.
Barrington, Illinois
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Our event was seamless. It was in fact one of the best weddings i have ever attended and so said my guests. The Blackstone property is awesome, totally renovated and beautiful from lobby to ballroom and guest rooms. The service was fabulous, they couldn'd do enough for us and our event manager Ashley, Osche was phenomanal and contributed to the overall success of the event. Our meal was delivered on time and was hot and delicious.
Thank you staff at the Blackstone for all of your help with a wonderful wedding affair.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Congratulations on your recent wedding!
I am so very pleased that everything was what you wanted it to be. We do many, many weddings at our beautiful hotel and I'm so thrilled that you had a great time!
Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review.
See you next year on your anniversary!
Chicago
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Very friendly , helpful and not intrusive valet services easy, front desk pleasant, food service timely and good, no problems except husband wasn't feeling well and slept most of the day and when we went out to dinner I asked for the room to be freshened but they never came.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

HI Patricia B,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay but very sorry that we didn't freshen up your room, as requested. That seems like an easy request that did not get executed correctly. We will definitely be reviewing these items with our operations team.
I hope that you will come back and visit us again soon.
Clinton, Iowa
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We arrived on a Saturday afternoon and the car was quickly unloaded and taken away to be parked. Check-in was quick and the luggage was quickly taken up to the room. All of the staff we dealt with were very friendly and professional.
The room was clean and had a king size bed which turned out to be quite comfortable! The bathroom was large and had a glass divider between the shower and the rest of the bathroom. There was a small fridge in the room and a nice sized closet. Our view was out towards the lake and to the south, which I found was quite nice!
I liked the curved stairs in the lobby and they lead up to the Mercat restaurant which we had supper at. The food and drinks were excellent there! The staff in the restaurant were very friendly and efficient.
Checkout went smoothly too, we called for the car and it arrived quickly and all our luggage was loaded into it and off we went.
I look forward to going back again!!

Room Tip: I'd ask for a view towards the lake
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Hi Al H,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your recent visit at the Blackstone Renaissance Hotel. I am so glad that you found the staff to be friendly and efficient and that you enjoyed the comforts of the room as well as the terrific restaurant we have on property, Mercat a la Planxa! It is an Iron Chef inspired restaurant and has a great reputation!
I hope we can welcome you back again soon!
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We recently had our wedding at the Blackstone Hotel in the Barbershop Room and Everything was fantastic. Ashley Ochse, our wedding coordinator at the Hotel gave us truly impeccable service. Every Detail from the food(Especially the Food!), to timing and service was beyond our expectations. They even had Champagne, Strawberries, and Customized Pillow cases with our initials waiting in our room! We would highly recommend this venue for special events.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Helen,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! We LOVED hosting your wedding! You and your husband were such a great couple - it was truly a pleasure for the entire team. WE look forward to welcoming you back for many, many anniversaries!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I was always eager to stay at this location since I've read many reviews and I also work in the hospitality industry.... too bad things didn't turn out the way I expected

When I checked in, the guest service agent never greeted or made eye contact with me and even worse didn't smile (at least try to fake it). She seemed miserable and I feel that carried on as she checked me in. The young lady wasn't wearing a name tag (actually none of the agents are the front desk were) and she was finally done checking me in, she didn't even mention any of the amenities that the hotel provided for their guests. Now I know I could easily google any of this information, but I still felt a better welcoming could have been provided. I did speak one of the managers regarding my check-in experience and she did apologize on behalf of the hotel.

Now on my room. My bed seemed a bit slanted and uneven so I had some trouble adjusting to it's setting. The layout of the room was nice, but the most disappointing run-in was the lack of water pressure for the shower.... it was just sad, such a beautiful bathroom with a nice shower head only to shoot out a weak amount of water.

I don't recommend this hotel for anyone

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Hello Dino M,
I am so very sorry that your stay didn't meet, let alone exceed your expectations. I have contacted you under separate email to give some details so I can personally follow up on who checked you in as well as what room you were in. Usually, we have terrific water pressure, so I'm hoping it is an isolated instance that we can fix. The behavior of your check-in is absolutely not the type of service that we normally provide and for that I am so sorry. I wish you would give us another chance to make a great impression.