The Blackstone, Autograph Collection
Ranked #37 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We recently had our wedding at the Blackstone Hotel in the Barbershop Room and Everything was fantastic. Ashley Ochse, our wedding coordinator at the Hotel gave us truly impeccable service. Every Detail from the food(Especially the Food!), to timing and service was beyond our expectations. They even had Champagne, Strawberries, and Customized Pillow cases with our initials waiting in our room! We would highly recommend this venue for special events.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear Helen,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! We LOVED hosting your wedding! You and your husband were such a great couple - it was truly a pleasure for the entire team. WE look forward to welcoming you back for many, many anniversaries!
Kim C

Write a ReviewReviews (2,057)

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I was always eager to stay at this location since I've read many reviews and I also work in the hospitality industry.... too bad things didn't turn out the way I expected

When I checked in, the guest service agent never greeted or made eye contact with me and even worse didn't smile (at least try to fake it). She seemed miserable and I feel that carried on as she checked me in. The young lady wasn't wearing a name tag (actually none of the agents are the front desk were) and she was finally done checking me in, she didn't even mention any of the amenities that the hotel provided for their guests. Now I know I could easily google any of this information, but I still felt a better welcoming could have been provided. I did speak one of the managers regarding my check-in experience and she did apologize on behalf of the hotel.

Now on my room. My bed seemed a bit slanted and uneven so I had some trouble adjusting to it's setting. The layout of the room was nice, but the most disappointing run-in was the lack of water pressure for the shower.... it was just sad, such a beautiful bathroom with a nice shower head only to shoot out a weak amount of water.

I don't recommend this hotel for anyone

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Hello Dino M,
I am so very sorry that your stay didn't meet, let alone exceed your expectations. I have contacted you under separate email to give some details so I can personally follow up on who checked you in as well as what room you were in. Usually, we have terrific water pressure, so I'm hoping it is an isolated instance that we can fix. The behavior of your check-in is absolutely not the type of service that we normally provide and for that I am so sorry. I wish you would give us another chance to make a great impression.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

One night at Blackstone. $189 ++++$62 to Valet...look for a better deal at Drake or Palmer House. They would be better but not as good a view. Lobby so-so. Room smaller than some downtown hotels. Bathroom pretty nice size. Towels were old. A view would have been nice because that part of the city is beautiful. Might have to try the Blackstone again. Being downtown is the treat though.

Hello Clareinsguy,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm really sorry that you didn't feel that you received the value for the price paid for the hotel! Parking is another story in Chicago - its hard to believe but we are pretty average considering that we don't have our own parking - back 100 years ago they didn't build hotels with parking!
You said in your review that you might have to try the hotel again - I would really appreciate it if you would give us another chance and allow us the opportunity to improve your impression of us. Please let me know if and when you come!

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed for two nights at this hotel (September 7 & 8, 2013) and was very pleased with the room as well as the customer service. Although this is one of the oldest hotels in Chicago, the rooms were nicely up to date with a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was huge with a glass enclosed shower containing a waterfall shower head which was delightful. There was also a small television screen incased in the bathroom mirror. The hotel workers were very accomodating in numerous ways, including giving us detailed directions on how to take the subway to Wrigley field. Having Platinum status with Marriott got us upgraded to a room on the concierge level with free breakfast and internet. On the weekends, the concierge lounge in not open, so the hotel gives you $14 per person (max 2 people) credit for breakfast in the restaurant, where the food was excellent. Overall a great stay and we would stay again at this property.

Hi Nick from CT!
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about the Renaissance Blackstone hotel! I am so pleased that you enjoyed it and especially thrilled that you found the staff to be accommodating and friendly. Although the hotel is awesome, without great staff we would be nothing!!! So THANKS! I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

This is a 4-star hotel however, my stay on September 10-12, 2013 was anything but 4-star! I like historic hotels and this one has been nicely refurbished however:

The in-room internet service was the slowest I have ever encountered and I travel a lot. I complained to the front desk and after my second call they volunteered to have their IT servicer call me. The woman that called me ran through a lot of very time consuming diagnostics with me on the phone and in the end of it she stated that the download and upload speeds were “acceptable”! It’s a really good thing that I did not have to do any real work on my company network this trip as I would not have been able to do it with that slow a speed. The speed was just as bad the next morning so I complained again and they took the two charges for $12.95 each off of my bill.

Breakfast service was also extremely slow and not very courteous. Also the yoghurt parfait was supposed to have fresh fruit and instead, it had strawberry jam and a few blueberries that had been frozen.

The white marble countertops in the room had not been cleaned and still had sticky and crusty spots. There were also many spots of something that looked like coffee with cream on the white marble bathroom floor so it had obviously not been mopped. I complained about this when I left for dinner the first night and expected the room to be cleaned by the time I got back. It was not – nor was it cleaned the following day.

I will not recommend this hotel o anybody.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Hello Audrey M,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review the property and provide us with such good feedback!
I am so very sorry for all of the issues that you encountered! This certainly isn't indicative of the type of service that we generally provide and for that I apologize.
With regard to the internet, we are in the process of installing a much larger fiber optic line that will increase capacity, significantly. The problem now is that the connections might be good, but if we have lots of guests and conferences using it with multiple devices at the same time, there isn't enough band width at that particular time. This will be completed by mid-October.
I have followed up with our Director of Housekeeping as the cleanliness issue you mentioned is totally unacceptable and certainly NOT a trend - so thanks for the feedback. I will also pass your comments on to our F&B department as this is good feedback, as well.
I am contacting you under separate cover so hopefully I can talk you into coming back and giving us another chance!

Reviewed September 14, 2013

My stay at The Blackstone was unfortunately cut short due to flight cancellation, however once I arrived (after midnight) I was delighted. The lobby is absolutely gorgeous, and I was greeted by a lovely young lady who was friendly, and efficient in checking me in. I got upto my room and WOW. Again, beautiful with fabulous views of Lake Michigan, navy pier and the fountain. Touches of luxury everywhere! The bed was like sleeping on a cloud. Everything, down to the the soap etc was of top notch quality. The staff at the front desk in the morning were extremely helpful in providing recommendations and helping me with transportstion. If I find myself back in Chicago again, I'll certainly stay at the Blackstone.

• Stayed: September 2013

Hello Denver brit,
THANK YOU so much for writing a review of the Blackstone! We so appreciate your time and love that you loved the hotel. I hope that you will visit us again for a longer period of time and are able to enjoy all that Chicago has to offer!

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We had a great stay at the Blackstone (rm 821) from Friday Sept 6th to Sept 8th, 2013. The hotel is everything you expect from a renaissance quality hotel. The room was nice and very clean. The bed (supposed to be a King but more like a large queen bed though) was confortable and the room was well furnished. Bathroom was spacious and there was a closet with a safe available in the room. The room also had a small fridge and a coffee machine.
We had a great view on the lake and Grant Park. Being on the 8th floor you could hear noises from Michigan avenue and also from the wedding party on saturday night (2 floors down our room) but it was very muffled and not really disturbing. The service we had at the hotel was great and constant from the check in desk to the cleaning lady or even the other hotel employees we had encountered. One noticeable point was how well the workout facility was equiped. Great selection and good number of elliptic machines, stairmasters or treadmills, an area for streching, and a full circuit of weight machines. They also provides water, headphones and towels.
We ate at the Iron Chef restaurant on the hotel premises and had a great dinner there. It is a tapas restaurant and everything we tried was great. The service was very nice there too.
We did not use other services there such as the wifi and did not take our breakfasts there so I can't comment on this.
We will definitively look into coming back to the Blackstone hotel on our next visit to Chicago.

Room Tip: may be higher floor will get less noises from the busy Michigan avenue if you want to keep a room wi...
1  Thank Seb_In_Kansas

Hi Seb in Kansas,
Wow - thanks so much for taking the time to write a review! I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and even happier that you took the time to tell the world!
I am especially thankful that you mentioned the service of the staff - there are lots of beautiful and cool hotels in Chicago - but we try to focus on service, as well, in order to stand out from the rest!
I look forward to welcoming you back again soon!