“Love it!!!”

Ranked #39 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Cedar Park, Texas
“Love it!!!”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Very historical and very charming. This is definitely a boutique hotel with flavor. I enjoyed the layout of the room and also the amenities. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. I absolutely loved the shower and went in multiple times in a day because it was sooo relaxing. The only thing that I didn't like was the fact that the Concierge lounge was closed on the weekends. However, they do give you coupons to eat at the Mercat restaurant to compensate for it. Very nice hotel and I definitely recommend it. As with any hotel in downtown Chicago, the parking can be expensive and valet is the only option at this property. There are cheaper lots near the hotel so if you plan on staying put, that will be the best option.

Room Tip: High Floors with City or lake views.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Hi Businesstraveler212 -
Thank you so very much for taking the time to write a review - you obviously travel a lot so I very much appreciate the feedback and am thrilled that you enjoyed the property! We are very proud of the property and are so happy that you would come back! Return visitors is the ultimate way to let us know we are doing things right!
We look forward to welcoming you back.
Kim C.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
  • Korean first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The Blackstone is a very nice hotel, with a great location! Unfortunately, the service provided does not represent this upscale hotel. Staying there a total of 3 nights, we had numerous poor customer service experiences. Reception - multiple added fees that could not be explained by the representative. Trying to have anything sent to our room was nearly impossible... our first night, I called to have a bottle opener and 2 glasses sent to our room... an hour and fifteen minutes, 3 calls, and me going down to the lobby, we finally had them! This happened multiple times throughout our stay. Our last morning, 8:30AM someone knocks on our door and is trying to open it. When I get to the door, the maid asks me if we are in fact checking out that morning. After replying yes, she then proceeds to ask me: "but at what time?". I could not believe it, how rude! Not only do we have until 11AM to check out, but I am getting harassed by the staff as to when I'll be leaving... Cannot say I'll ever be setting foot in that hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank vnmmgi
Hi Vmnngi,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! I am so very sorry that we didn't at all meet your expectation for service. I have emailed you under separate cover to get some additional information so we can be sure to follow up with the associates that provided such poor service. The delivery should NOT have taken so long - and the guest room attendants should not have made you feel like you were being hurried - but generally they may ask what time you are leaving so they can be sure not to bother you again - obviously it didn't come across that way and I'm sorry. I'm glad that you found the hotel to be nice and hope that you would consider coming back again some day.
Thanks again for the feedback.
Kim
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We recently returned from a 3 night stay at the Blackstone and found the room very comfortable. The King size bed was very comfortable and the lobby area is beautiful. We were less keen on the location. We found there was very few places to eat or go for a drink in the immediate area and very few people on the streets after dark. We used the transit system extensively, but, would have liked the option of a selection of bars/restaurants and a vibrant nightlife close by. If travelling again we would definitely book a hotel north of the river.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks Celeanor for taking the time to write a review! We appreciate the feedback and understand that our location is not for everyone! We feel like it is a little less "frantic" than North of the River with lots of things to do close by.
I wish that you would give us another try, but certainly appreciate the business!
Reviewed August 21, 2013

The hotel is very close to the two L stations and several bus stops. It was an easy trip for us from Midway Airport using the Orange line. It's also a walk away from the Field Museum, Aquarium, and Planetarium (though you can take a bus to save your feet), and just across the street from Grant Park.

Service was great, the ladies at the front desk were warm and friendly and the guys at the door always greeted us with a smile.

Our room had a King Bed and was really nice. The only thing I didn't care for was the sliding door for the bathroom - it didn't afford a lot of privacy. But since I was staying with my husband, it wasn't a big deal.

For the price we paid, would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Sll42
Hi SII42,
Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review! I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and happy that you found the associates to be friendly and accommodating! We look forward to welcoming you back hopefully in the near future.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Had an awesome time at the Blackstone. Wonerful folks and customer service! Eat in the restaurant and was amazing! From Denver, will be going back soon! Can't wait to go back in October with my family.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hey, C G!
Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review!! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay here and happy that you found Mercat a la Planxa as good as we tell people it is! :) The best feedback we can EVER get is a return stay and we look forward to welcoming you back - please let us know when you plan your trip so we can do something special!
Toronto, ON
Reviewed August 19, 2013

From the very first moment, the staff made me feel welcome and appreciated my business... whenever they could, they went above and beyond to make my stay fantastic, special shout out to Annissa :) ... the hotel location is ideal, the decor and style of the structure is in the old early 1900's classic pre-art deco style and is definitely a landmark like the Hilton next to it... I don't have one single complaint, but the only drawback (and this is just personal preference, nothing the hotel can do about it now) is there there was no swimming pool for a 4-star, and my room didn't have a tub--yes, I like water :)
I will ALWAYS try to come back to this hotel from now on in my travels to Chicago
Thanks Blackstone!
-Kozar

Room Tip: Lake view rooms are difficult to get without paying extra, but must definitely be worth it if you...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Hello Dravafox!
Water person that you are - we definitely have some rooms that have bath tubs - so just make sure that you request one and that you arrive not too late when they are no longer available - we would be happy to make sure you get your dose of agua! You have to admit, though, the rain shower heads are pretty awesome!
We are so thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and will certainly give a shout out to Annissa! Thanks for mentioning her.
WE look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back.
Kim C
Champaign, Illinois, United States
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I checked into the Blackstone during Spring Break in late March 2013 and was very impressed by both the location and service. Not only were the staff very accommodating with my requests, such as holding luggage for the day and providing me with information about local foods spots, but they made every effort to ensure that I had a pleasant stay. One other "plus" of this hotel is that the beds are incredibly comfortable and the interiors are quite nicely decorated, considering the moderate $150-200 room price. All in all, this was a memorable stay and I would highly consider to all!

Room Tip: -The restaurant downstairs and the room service menu have the same names; however, they do not offer...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Cletterly,
Thanks very much for your comments and your review, we really appreciate you taking the time! I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the hotel and found it to be a value for the price! You are correct that the restaurant provides room service but we found that hotel guests generally want good ole fashioned plainer food for room service so they have altered the menu - I am certain you could order the tapas food for service or take out for the room if you want!
I hope that you will visit us again soon.
Kim