“Beautiful hotel!”

The Blackstone, Autograph Collection
Ranked #37 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I recently stayed at the Blackstone while in town for business and loved every minute of it! The room was beautiful and had an amazing view; I even enjoyed a fireworks show from my window one evening while relaxing. The hotel is immaculate, the staff is friendly and accommodating, and the location is perfect. I ate at Mercat a couple times, the food was wonderful and the in room dining was prompt and courteous! I love this hotel and restaurant and would recommend them to anyone visiting Chicago.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

HI LLK44,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! We really appreciate it and are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay! The fireworks are an added bonus when you have a Lakeview room - every Saturday and Wednesday evening Navy Pier has an incredible fireworks display! IF you don't have a Lakeview room you can always walk the two blocks to the lake and enjoy them over the water! I'm especially happy that you found the staff to be helpful and friendly - its something that we definitely focus on!
I hope that you will come and visit Chicago again, soon.
Kim C.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,057)

Reviewed August 5, 2013

This hotel is located right in the heart of downtown Chicago. It's full of historic charm and great views of the city and lake. You're close to anything downtown you want to do, and the staff was very helpful.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Hi Jeremy S,
Thanks very much for taking the time to write a review! We really appreciate it.
I am glad that you found our location to be convenient - without seeing the hotel some people think its too far south - but its really positioned close to so many things - glad it worked so well for you!
Hope that you will come and visit us again, soon.
Kim C

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I've always enjoyed unique and surprising hotel finds and the Blackstone is at the top of my list. When you enter the lobby, one of the first things I was impressed with was art deco furniture at juxta positon to the historic architecture. The service and ambiance certainly measured up and above the many Renaissance Hotels that I have stayed at throughout the country.

I was visiting with my girlfriend and it was really nice to have a location that allowed us to walk to so many of our destinations in the South Loop like the Chicago Art Museum and Symphony Hall. There are so many great restaurants located within a few blocks that we where disappointed that we didn't have time to experience more of them.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Hi Candance D -
So glad that you chose the Blackstone for your getaway to Chicago! Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We do feel like we have a unique hotel that has some interesting offerings including some of the contemporary and art deco touches alongside this historic gem!
I hope you come back and see us soon.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I recently stayed with my friend at this hotel as a getaway from the Chicago suburbs to enjoy being in the city for a couple of days. Besides being absolutely beautiful, It was near all the parks and the Art Institute, and a short train ride to Chinatown for the wonderful food. Local transportation is everywhere and a hop, skip to as much shopping you could endure! Most of all, our room was deliciously comfortable, with marble bathrooms and plush beds. It was immaculate in every way, and so enjoyed the robes and slippers provided. And the amazing breakfast was perfect to start the day. I would, and have, recommended this hotel - for vacationers and business travelers alike.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank susanmC5887CP

Dear susanmC5887CP ,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel! It sounds like you came for a STAYCATION and really enjoyed not only your time in Chicago but your time at the hotel. I am thrilled to hear it! Chicago and the Blackstone have so much to see and enjoy - and even a couple of days away from the "norm" can be a fantastic getaway. Thanks so much for picking us to enjoy it!
Kim C

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Having lived in Florida for eleven years before moving to a suburb of Chicago in the North Shore, I have lots of visitors from the south. Everyone loves Chicago. I always try to incorporate a night or two in Chicago so my guests can enjoy the ambiance of the city. I've stayed at a number of hotels but keep coming back to the Blackstone Hotel in the South Loop. It's perfect for out of towners, especially tourists. When you first enter the lobby of the beautifully renovated, historic hotel where Teddy Roosevelt first announced his candidacy for president, you feel like you are home. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the decor is beautiful and it has one of the top restaurants in the city, Mercat (Barcelona fare.)

The Blackstone is located in the heart of the South Loop, a wonderful gem of Chicago, it's a short walk from the hustle and bustle of Michigan Ave. shopping and has everything anyone would want nearby. I love to go to Chinatown, two stops south of the hotel, for early morning dim sum, a stroll through the streets and some of the best shopping in the city for unique items. . Yolk is a creative, innovative restaurant that serves the best breakfast I have ever eaten. It's a few doors south of the hotel on Michigan Ave. The Roosevelt University has an outstanding theater right next door. If you are lucky, you will catch one of their performances. There are a number of great jazz clubs within walking distance, half the price of ones farther down the street. Many of our favorite restaurants are wtihin a few blocks also, French,Indian, Chinese, American. etc.

One of our musts is a visit to the world renown Chicago Art Institute. It has three outstanding restuarants and again is located a few block from the hotel. Symphony Hall is also a few blocks north of the Blackstone. I like to splurge and attend one of the Chicago Symphony's concerts. The incredible lobby is open everyday for tourist to enjoy and take a break from their hectic day.

I have traveled to many countries and many major cities and stayed in some of the top hotels and one of the most important things I look for in a hotel is cleanliness. The Blackstone guest rooms are immaculate. That is the highest compliment that I can pay a hotel. The first time I visited the Blackstone, I went with my daughter and two grandsons, 2 and 4 years old. I was so impressed with the amenities and how clean every corner of the room was. They played with their cars on the floor,window sills, night stands and everything was dust free and sparkling. That sold me on the hotel. All the public areas appear so clean and sparkling.

If you want a hotel that is home away from home, immaculate, friendly staff and great restaurants and attractions within a few blocks, I would highly recommend the Blackstone.

Room Tip: Every room that I have stayed in has been lovely. Trying to get one facing Lake Michigan is probably...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank xcachi222

WOWZA!!!!
Thank you so much for your review! Not only are you an amazing representative of Chicago and all it has to offer - but you mentioned all the things that we think are important about the hotel, too!
Cleanliness and friendly and helpful staff!!!!
I really appreciate the time and effort that you put into your review! Thanks!

Reviewed August 3, 2013

My second stay at the Blackstone reminded me of what brought me back. Plush beds, beautiful marble bathrooms and the complimentary robe make it hard to leave the room. The historically preserved building is trimmed with a tasteful contemporary flair. The lobby is classy, the art stunning and the ballroom breathtaking. Loved the location. Walking distance to Grant and Millennium parks, Buckingham fountain and the lake, plus we received helpful hints from the concierge on public transportation. The Mercat a la Planxa is a hidden gem with a unique and selective menu. the staff was unseen unless I needed something then there they were. I'm looking forward to my third visit hopefully soon.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the park if you can.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Scott M

HI Scott M,
So glad that you returned to the Blackstone for a second visit and that you took the time to write a review! Thank you VERY much! It sounds like you like the city and you enjoyed the property which I am so pleased about.
I love your description of the staff - you only notice them when you need something! That is exactly what we try for and so happy that you noticed!
Come back and visit again soon!

Reviewed August 2, 2013

I would recommend this hotel to everyone!

I have been at the Blackstone hotel on two separate occasions. Last time it was for the 4th of July weekend. The location is amazing, walking distance to the parks and the museums, also pretty close to the city train stations, so you can hop on a train and go from and to either Midway airport or O’Hare. The rooms seems to be soundproof and the beds a very comfortable. I slept like a baby! The checking in was fast and efficient, the staff was friendly and the concierge helped me a lot with tips how to get around in Chicago. The house keeping really impressed me! On my first day there I spilled a few drops of coffee on the bed cover. It was right at corner and after it dried up it was almost unnoticeable. To my surprise on the next day the bed cover was changed, and my room was impeccable again. Great eye for the details! Do not forget to check out the Mercat a la planxa next door, an amazing restaurant! Try the rib eye and you will not be disappointed!

I will back and thank you!

Room Tip: Get the room with the lake view!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Hello Flughafen_Wien,
We really appreciate you taking the time to write a review on the property! You can tell you are a "seasoned" traveler - your story about changing the duvet cover was GREAT! Glad to hear it and thanks for sharing.
Let us know the next time you come to Chicago - sounds like its a City you enjoy.