“Cool historic building, nice modern hotel ...”

Renaissance Blackstone Chicago Hotel
Ranked #40 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Singapore, Singapore
“Cool historic building, nice modern hotel ...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

1. Location: Facing beautiful park and lakefront, convenient location in downtown area, easy walking access to major attractions and transit lines, and good shopping stretch.

2. Staff: Courteous, efficient. Both check-in and -out were fast and with little hassle.

3. Room: Rather spacious, well-appointed. Nice, roomy toilets. Clean and comfortable.

4. Amenities: Hotel is a historic building that looks stunning, in line with Chicago's gorgeous buildings.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake-view room, if possible; it is a very pretty view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Korean first
Farmington, NM
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

I stayed here for four days while attending a conference. The hotel is striking in design and character. The room was spacious and comfortable. The bed was great and the linens soft and comfy. The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating. But . . . those towels! Sorry designer or fancy decorator but those things were stiff and scratchy and felt like drying off on sandpaper with ridges. Ouch! Overall this is a beautiful hotel in a great location. I'd stay there again . . . but bring my own towel!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Great appointments throughout--large mirrors with embedded TV and large showers with rain shower heads are a nice touch. Very comfortable beds. Clean and very spacious. Lobby with pool table is a relaxing space as well.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed here because it had a special rate for a conference I was attending nearby - and after checking out their website I was really looking forward to my solo stay in what seemed like a luxurious & arty hotel.

The hotel is definitely arty and visually stunning, with quirky furniture and modern rooms. They've done a good job of blending their contemporary, nightclubby style with the building's history to create a welcoming atmosphere, but unfortunately their customer service really wasn't up to the same standard.

After reading some other TA reviews, I emailed the hotel to ask if I could get a room with a lake or city view. I was half expecting a 'sorry, but your special rate doesn't cover that' - and that would have been ok - but I wasn't expecting no response at all. I got nothing! On day two, I decided to stop off on the art floor to check out their gallery and a staff member who was setting up some tables for a function asked how they could help me as though I shouldn't have been there. There were also a number of small niggles along the way, like a late wake up call and the unfriendly check in/out.

On the surface this seems like a great place to stay, but they need to pay more attention to customer service. It's about SO much more than the way a hotel looks!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Kimberly C, General Manager at Renaissance Blackstone Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Hi JC Traveler,
I am sooooo sorry that you did not enjoy your stay or find that the staff was accommodating! WE generally pride ourselves on our staff members so I would appreciate any additional feedback you could give me so I can follow up.
We did uncover at the beginning of May that the email link on our web site was not working and therefore emails were being directed to the black hole - I am so sorry for that, but happy to say that we have fixed it.
I wish that you would give us a second chance to make a GREAT impression.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
Best regards,
Kim
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed 2 nights on a weekend and had a great experience. The staff was very helpful and friendly on all occasions. The room was very nice with marble tiling throughout and a very comfortable bed. We were told the hotel was completely upgraded in 2008 and it certainly shows. We had a 7th floor room with a view of Grant Park in the spring. Breakfast in the restaurant was very well prepared. Did not eat at the restaurant at dinner, so cannot review. Cannot comment on price/value since we got a deal on Priceline which was well below even Travelocity rates. All-in-all what I would expect from a Michigan Ave 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view across the street of the park, the east side of the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Papabuck49,
Thanks so much for taking the time to post a review! I'm especially thrilled that you mentioned our staff as we take great pride in the team that we have here at the Blackstone! Hope to see you again here, soon!
Best regards,
Kim
Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

Love/hate here.

Gorgeous and recently renovated. Looked great. Enjoyed looking at the building.

The bed was superb.

The linen and towels were dingy. Holes in the linen. I wouldn't stay away because of this--everything else made up for it. Maybe they were trying to stay away from chemicals in the wash cycle, but I do at home and my linens are white.

The chair in the room was horribly uncomfortable. Fellow folks at the conference all complained about their chairs. Apparently they were selected because of looks and no one actually sat in them before they were ordered.

The bathroom was gorgeous like the hotel. I only wish that the shower had a door so the heat would stay in. The robe and the Aveda products made up for it.

The food provided at the conference by the hotel was tasty, but... WHERE WERE THE VEGETABLES???? I was really surprised by the dirth of greens. I would never ever hold a conference there because of the food. I would absolutely go elsewhere.

But...the biggest issue of all was the trains. I'm from the country where the only sound I hear is the song bird or mooing cow. The trains were nonstop. If you like quiet, find someplace else. But this is Chicago. Maybe you always hear trains.

Room Tip: Get a lake view! Jump up and down until they give you a lake view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Kimberly C, General Manager at Renaissance Blackstone Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear AdamGhost -
Thank you so much for your review!
I very much appreciate the feedback - both the positive as well as the not so....
I can assure you we are not against serving healthy food or greens - we serve what the meeting planner wants us to serve! Would love to know which meeting you were with so I can follow-up and make sure that is the case.
I live in downtown Chicago and can assure you it is difficult to get away from the noises of the City - one of the things we learn to love around here! Let us know the next time you come to visit and we will get you a "white noise" maker to place in your room!
Happy traveling and best regards,
Kim C.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

Be ready to pay for everything coming to this place, or any other 4-5 star hotel. We stayed for 3 nights. I came here to be close to a venue I needed to attend for a Real Estate Class. I've learned that staying in many 4 star hotels, you pay more, but you get much less. I'm going to start down grading more because most of the lower star places have more amenities to offer, such as Travelodge. Parking was $55 per night. I didn't realize that the parking was so expensive. I would take a train next time to be more economical. Internet was $13 per day with poor service, and dropped connections. The signal was poor in the area, so our cell phones were not working. The restaurant Mercat had poor service. We had to wait so long to be seated that we ended up leaving. The best thing about our room was the bathroom. It was relatively larger than normal and uniquely decorated. Our screen TV in the room was very small and far away from the bed. We didn't get some of our favorite cable channels that we are used to having. Lots of noise and whistle blowing the first night we got there. Worst of all, housekeeping stole my husband's necklace and lied about it of course. Word to the wise.....hide your valuables. No hotel is ever safe from thieves, not even the employees that work there are are always trustworthy. I'm disappointed with my stay. If I had to do it again, I'd go to a Travelodge or somewhere else cheaper that had more to offer. The rates are often times less expensive in a 3 star or less hotel, and they offer free continental breakfast, free or reduced parking rates, better restaurant selectivity, as well as complimentary internet. Blackstone unfortunately does not have these things. I've been to Lombard, IL and paid $70 per night and the room was much larger, had lots of furniture, a kitchenette, and a lot more to offer. My best advice is to stay somewhere else that offers more bang for your buck even if you have to be situated further away from your venue.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Tighny38,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review the property and provide your feedback! I really appreciate it.
I am sorry and disappointed that your expectations were not met! Our team will definitely review your comments and make adjustments to our operation.
Our parking fee is typical of what you will find in downtown Chicago - definitely a surprise if you are not aware - but its also on our web site.
Once again, thank you for your comments.
Happy traveling!