“Excellent Experience”

Ranked #40 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Columbus, Ohio
“Excellent Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed 2 nights on a weekend and had a great experience. The staff was very helpful and friendly on all occasions. The room was very nice with marble tiling throughout and a very comfortable bed. We were told the hotel was completely upgraded in 2008 and it certainly shows. We had a 7th floor room with a view of Grant Park in the spring. Breakfast in the restaurant was very well prepared. Did not eat at the restaurant at dinner, so cannot review. Cannot comment on price/value since we got a deal on Priceline which was well below even Travelocity rates. All-in-all what I would expect from a Michigan Ave 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view across the street of the park, the east side of the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Kimberly C, General Manager at Renaissance Blackstone Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Hello Papabuck49,
Thanks so much for taking the time to post a review! I'm especially thrilled that you mentioned our staff as we take great pride in the team that we have here at the Blackstone! Hope to see you again here, soon!
Kim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Korean first
Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

Love/hate here.

Gorgeous and recently renovated. Looked great. Enjoyed looking at the building.

The bed was superb.

The linen and towels were dingy. Holes in the linen. I wouldn't stay away because of this--everything else made up for it. Maybe they were trying to stay away from chemicals in the wash cycle, but I do at home and my linens are white.

The chair in the room was horribly uncomfortable. Fellow folks at the conference all complained about their chairs. Apparently they were selected because of looks and no one actually sat in them before they were ordered.

The bathroom was gorgeous like the hotel. I only wish that the shower had a door so the heat would stay in. The robe and the Aveda products made up for it.

The food provided at the conference by the hotel was tasty, but... WHERE WERE THE VEGETABLES???? I was really surprised by the dirth of greens. I would never ever hold a conference there because of the food. I would absolutely go elsewhere.

But...the biggest issue of all was the trains. I'm from the country where the only sound I hear is the song bird or mooing cow. The trains were nonstop. If you like quiet, find someplace else. But this is Chicago. Maybe you always hear trains.

Room Tip: Get a lake view! Jump up and down until they give you a lake view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Kimberly C, General Manager at Renaissance Blackstone Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear AdamGhost -
Thank you so much for your review!
I very much appreciate the feedback - both the positive as well as the not so....
I can assure you we are not against serving healthy food or greens - we serve what the meeting planner wants us to serve! Would love to know which meeting you were with so I can follow-up and make sure that is the case.
I live in downtown Chicago and can assure you it is difficult to get away from the noises of the City - one of the things we learn to love around here! Let us know the next time you come to visit and we will get you a "white noise" maker to place in your room!
Happy traveling and best regards,
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

Be ready to pay for everything coming to this place, or any other 4-5 star hotel. We stayed for 3 nights. I came here to be close to a venue I needed to attend for a Real Estate Class. I've learned that staying in many 4 star hotels, you pay more, but you get much less. I'm going to start down grading more because most of the lower star places have more amenities to offer, such as Travelodge. Parking was $55 per night. I didn't realize that the parking was so expensive. I would take a train next time to be more economical. Internet was $13 per day with poor service, and dropped connections. The signal was poor in the area, so our cell phones were not working. The restaurant Mercat had poor service. We had to wait so long to be seated that we ended up leaving. The best thing about our room was the bathroom. It was relatively larger than normal and uniquely decorated. Our screen TV in the room was very small and far away from the bed. We didn't get some of our favorite cable channels that we are used to having. Lots of noise and whistle blowing the first night we got there. Worst of all, housekeeping stole my husband's necklace and lied about it of course. Word to the wise.....hide your valuables. No hotel is ever safe from thieves, not even the employees that work there are are always trustworthy. I'm disappointed with my stay. If I had to do it again, I'd go to a Travelodge or somewhere else cheaper that had more to offer. The rates are often times less expensive in a 3 star or less hotel, and they offer free continental breakfast, free or reduced parking rates, better restaurant selectivity, as well as complimentary internet. Blackstone unfortunately does not have these things. I've been to Lombard, IL and paid $70 per night and the room was much larger, had lots of furniture, a kitchenette, and a lot more to offer. My best advice is to stay somewhere else that offers more bang for your buck even if you have to be situated further away from your venue.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Tighny38,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review the property and provide your feedback! I really appreciate it.
I am sorry and disappointed that your expectations were not met! Our team will definitely review your comments and make adjustments to our operation.
Our parking fee is typical of what you will find in downtown Chicago - definitely a surprise if you are not aware - but its also on our web site.
Once again, thank you for your comments.
Happy traveling!
Hampton, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here 4 nights for a workshop/conference and had a good experience overall. The hotel is a little bit far away from the action, but Grant Park is right across the street. However, I was on the 8th floor and could hear the train every night so it was somewhat difficult to sleep. The hotel decor is very unique. I loved the historic details mixed with modern furnishings. The room was very nice. The bed was comfortable and the desk area was very roomy. Although I loved the bathroom, I was surprised that the towels felt cheap and scratchy. Also, there is no tub, just a wonderful large open shower. While this wasn't a big deal to me, it might to someone with kids. The service was absolutely great - my second night there I called the front desk and asked if there was a microwave on the property that guests could use and she said she would call me back. A few minutes later housekeeping came up with a microwave for my room (for no charge).
The only really negative thing I experienced was the Internet connection. They charge $12.95, which is par for the course in this type of hotel; however, it only goes from noon to noon (not 24 hours) and it's so slow it's ridiculous.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hi ShellBell757-
Thanks very much for taking the time to review our property. I am so pleased that you enjoyed it and very much appreciate the feedback.
Just so you know, we are in the process of upgrading our entire internet system and so should have plenty of band width for customers with plenty of devices in the not too distant future! I hope you will come back and enjoy it.
Highland Park, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed two nights. We were able to take the blue line CTA to a stop just a few blocks away and walk to the hotel. We were early but were greeted and offered immediate check-in. Our request to extend our stay by a night was immediately granted at the same discounted rate. All staff we encountered were gracious and accomodating. This beautiful, regal hotel feels comfortable and cozy at the same time. The rooms are modern, attractive and updated. The tapas restaurant is wonderful. The location allowed us to walk to everything, museums, miracle mile, Millenium Park, even Trader Joes. The rooms even have a refrigerator!
This is the only hotel i will stay in Chicago.

Room Tip: Our room was quiet and comfortable on the seventh floor.
1 Thank Ronaraven
Wow Ronaraven,
Thank you so much for your review!!!!
I am so pleased that you enjoyed the property and that we exceeded your expectations.
WE are extremely proud of our staff and love the location of the hotel, as well.
I hope you will come back and visit again.
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Wife and I went for a short trip and stayed for 1 night. Took the Train in from Midway, and maybe a 5-10 min walk to the hotel. We actually were alittle early and the friendly staff allowed us to check-in early and even granted us a Lake view upgrade corner room. The lobby does appear to be in need of some new carpet and maybe a design consultant to figure out the awkward check-in desk / concierge area. However there is much to appreciate in the older characteristics of the hotel. The Room was very comfortable and I probably spent the first hour just admiring the beautiful city and lake views from our corner room. Being located on Michigan was very convenient as we were able to either pickup a bus right out the front door or walk to the nearby art institute. We decided to take the short bus ride down Michigan to Mag Mile and do some walking / Shopping. After we enjoyed the Architectural tour offered near the Wrigley building on the River. We decided to try the onsite restaurant run by some Iron Chef apparently. It was a Tapas style restaurant (Mercat) which was very busy for good reason! It was amazing. However be prepared as Tapas come our quick and the bill goes up even quicker :) , Truly unique and worth ever dollar. Breakfast was also served at the Mercat restaurant onsite and MR gold and Plat will receive a voucher for up to $14/Each which will get you Coffee/Orange juice, Steel-cut oatmeal with all the goodies, and hash browns. They also do serve breakfast in the lounge during the week.

Room Tip: High Floor with lake view
Hello, John A,
Thanks so much for your review! Glad you enjoyed the Blackstone for your short Chicago getaway!
I very much appreciate your feedback and wanted to let you know that we just changed out the carpet that was looking a little worn - good eye!
Hope to selcome you back again soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

We stayed a total of 5 nights. We walked to the Shedd Acquarium, the Art Institute, the river cruise and local restaurants. We wanted a low floor so we did not have a special view but we were fine with that. We paid a rate of $199 plus taxes for 4 nights and $100 more plus taxes for the 5th night.

Pros: Room 612 was quiet and had good water pressure. The in-house restaurant was good for dinner and breakfast. The conference I attended had good food catered. The staff were friendly and helpful. We liked the room.

Cons: They seem to have sprayed the linens with heavy perfume and we needed to have them changed. Wireless costs extra in rooms and others said it was slow (we skipped it). If you find stairs hard to use, there are a few you must navigate to get in and out of the hotel.

Silliness: Truly awful Starbucks- lousy coffee and limp baked goods. Business center off the lobby uses Macs so practice using the browser ahead of time if you want to print boarding passes and you usually use PCs. The shower is pretty but you have to stand under the shower head to turn it on. I had to cower in the corner to avoid being frozen or scalded.

Room Tip: Everyone says away from elevators and ice machines. We did that and we were fine. We did sometimes h...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank LTPratt
Dear LTPratt,
Thanks very much for your feedback! I really appreciate you taking the time to write a review. So happy that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful. We will absolutely discuss your feedback with the team - especially the linen comment and Starbucks - both of those are certainly areas of opportunity and I appreciate the feedback.