“Old Chicago Charm”

Ranked #40 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Old Chicago Charm”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Have stayed here quite a few times. Old Chicago charm throughout the property. Rooms have been re-done and nice high-quality as you'd expect in the higher end Marriott hotels. A little bit out of the way from the action and not very many restaurants right around the hotel. Walking 5-6 blocks towards the colleges you can find more dining choices. Price is reasonable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
HI Larry 2810-
Thanks very much for taking the time to write a review! We appreciate the feedback.
I'm so glad that you enjoyed the hotel and hope that you will visit us again, soon.
Kim C.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Korean first
Richmond-upon-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I spent last weekend in Chicago and stayed at The Blackstone A Renaissance Hotel. On entering the hotel the reception area is very dark and shabby looking.
The receptionist are behind black plastic looking boxes, making them look like they are on a gameshow. It was not welcoming reception that we encountered, the receptionist had to question how many nights we were stay and if we needed one or two rooms, so there was obviously a lack of attention from the hotel when we booked. The room we were given was of good size, and the bathroom was huge.They give you Aveda toiletries in the bathroom, but then rough very small towels. Unfortunately walking around this hotel, I felt there was lack attention to detail,on a lot of levels.Overall the staff seemed as those every thing was to much trouble for them, the door staff were very good those at answering any question you had and very polite. Chicago a great city but disappointing hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear EpsomShaza.
I am soooo disappointed that you were disappointed by the hotel! What really bothers me is that you found the staff to not be friendly and hospitable - which is absolutelty unacceptable! We will absolutely follow up and share these comments as we generally are known for pretty friendly team members!
The reception area "pods" are the newest thing in hospitality - lots of hotels are getting away from long Front Desks so that the associates can come out from behind the computer area to interact with customers - Its funny you say they look like a game show, because they do! I can assure you they are not cheap plastic - they are actually made of leather - but certainly the great thing about our world is that we all have different, varied opinions.
I would love the opportunity to welcome you back and have another chance to make a better impression. I hope that you will consider it.
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed April 25, 2013

If you've stayed in a Renaissance before you know that it's going to be an experience. The Blackstone is true to brand, with a historic past that has been modernized to fit modern expectations.

I stayed two nights at the Blackstone. It's located off the path a bit (from shopping and restaurants), but it's great if you are a runner and want easy access to the lake side trail. A short cab or train ride (red line) will get you to where you need to go.

The lobby is quite stunning. I appreciate the mix of old and new, while not feeling uncomfortable. At check-in I was met with friendly staff, eager to explain the hotel offerings. My room was equally as stunning, with a spacious bedroom and bath. I had a partial view of the lake (ask for a higher floor to really take advantage of this).

The Blackstone has a great fitness center on the 6th floor. Plenty of modern equipment, very clean, with a great lake view. Unfortunately I did not eat at the restaurant or the visit the concierge lounge, but my colleagues detailed pleasant experiences at each.

Certainly consider the Blackstone. The price was much more reasonable than the other Marriott's and I will absolutely be back.

Room Tip: High floor, lake view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Kimberly C, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear JDMJR,
Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review of the Blackstone. You are correct that we are a little away from the hustle and bustle but we think, like you, that its a great location!
I am so pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and the team and hope that you will come back again, soon!
Charleston, SC
Reviewed April 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Blackstone for a weekend getaway and we were pleased with every aspect of our stay. The lobby was beautiful, the staff was accommodating and attentive, the room was spacious and beautifully appointed. The hotel is in a very convenient location for those individuals wanting to stay near the Loop but also within a good walking distance of Navy Pier (mile or so). The hotel is also located near the Red Line which was important to us as we were heading out to Wrigley to see the Cubs play. I would recommend this hotel to friends and family and would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HI Erin,
Thanks so much for taking the time to review the hotel! Glad that you had a great time and what fun to see the Cubs play - we are all ready for summer to arrive!
I am glad that you would stay with us again - please let me know if you do!
Durham, NC
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I'm giving this place 4 stars even after asking to check out right after check-in.

My flight was delayed and I didn't get to the hotel until after midnight on a very cold and very rainy night. First the hotel is HARD TO FIND at night in the rain. Signage and lighting is lacking! I spent an extra 20 min driving around even with a GPS. I was then the only person in the lobby and stood at the check in area. The two ladies there would not even acknowledge me and the concierge fellow finally had to ask me if I needed help. The two ladies then looked up and slowly acknowledged me. (Maybe they were busy with paperwork? Maybe I don't look the part?? I don't know.) I checked in an then realized the valet was $55 per night - which I guess is pretty standard in the area, but I didn't realize I really had no other option. The rental car company only had a gigantic SUV for me. Street parking was a no go and my monster SUV could not fit in the self-park near the hotel. Fine. I get to what I believe was the 22nd floor and I smell cigarette smoke right off the elevator. I think, oh-no, a fixed-up old hotel with old cigarette smell! I call the front desk and the lady was unimpressed. She offered no help or explanations. Fine. I walk around to my room. There are 3 beer cans sitting in the corner of the hallway. Nice. At this point I just want to sleep.
I get to my room and it - is- LOVELY! I loved this room. The bed was perfect. The linens were wonderful. The shower was awesome. The smell was nirvana-esque. The view was exceptional. The TV in the bathroom mirror was over-the-top and great! I stayed for 2 nights and didn't want to leave. The room saved my experience.
The next morning the cigarette smell was gone in the hallway and so were the beer cans. The rest of the staff was very nice and helpful (thank you!).
The club is underwhelming at best. It's too small and the selection is so limited. It would also be nice to put a sign on the hot chocolate saying it's out of order instead of having people fill cup after cup of just hot water.
Anyway, overall I would definitely stay here again in a heartbeat since I enjoyed the room so much. And really that's the main point of a hotel, right?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank taffeelion
Hi Taffee L,
I sent you a seperate message asking for some details on your stay so that I could follow up. First, let me say how sorry I am about your arrival experience. What is especially disappointing was the actions by our staff - which is not generally the feedback we get - so thanks for the feedback!!! The team and I will definitely take a look at your other feedback and see what we can do to improve and/or fix some of the areas. I'm happy that you enjoyed the room, though - i agree that they are beautiful and comfy! I hope that you will give us another chance to make an even better impression! Please let me know if you do.
York Pa
Reviewed April 21, 2013

One of the things that Marriott does extremely well is taking an older classic hotel and renovating it while keeping the wonderful architectural details from the past. They did just that with the Blackstone in Chicago. The lobby is casual elegance with a pool table and chess board out to invite guests to relax and enjoy themselves. If you look closer you can see the wonderful wood work from another era. Check out the elevators, it looks like they kept the original interiors including the marble mosaic floor when they updated them. The concierge room has charming window seats that provide some privacy for work or just relaxing. The staff was very friendly and efficient. The rooms were nicely updated as well. They offered every modern convenience, including a TV in the bathroom mirror.
We have seen Marriott take several older hotels in Europe and work their magic. This is the first in the US that we have visited where they have done this. The design staff does a wonderful job.
We highly recommend staying at this hotel when you visit Chicago. The location is close to Symphony Hall.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear 144Man,
Thanks much for taking the time to write a review.
You are absolutetly right, alot was put into restoring this beautiful hotel, but the thing that I appreciate more than that is your comment about our staff - the fact that they were friendly and efficient! We spend alot of time selecting and training team members that are genuinely hospitable and I appreciate that you recognized that.
I hope you will visit us again.
Kearney, Nebraska
Reviewed April 18, 2013

WOW! We really enjoyed our stay at the Blackstone. It was by far the oldest and nicest hotel I had stayed had and really didn't know what to expect. It turns out that they have done a great job of keeping the elegance of its origins while at the same time modernizing the hotel to appeal to 21st century travelers. The front desk was in the middle of an ornate wood laden lobby that was very impressive. The front desk attendant was very cordial and helpful and we were able to quickly make it to our room. We were given a business level room which was great because it allowed us access to the exclusive Hubbard Place lounge on the top floor of the building. It was by far the most unique lounge I have seen and the food there for evening food as well as breakfast was quite satisfying. The room itself was amazing with the entryway being lots of marble. The bed was one of the best I have ever slept in and the bedding was heavenly! I was also impressed by the rain forest shower head and the t.v. built into the bathroom mirror. There was also no street noise at all despite being on a busy street. I'm not sure if all of these features are the same for the standard room but they certainly makes me feel like a top notch guest. I would highly recommend this hotel and will be keeping an eye out for the occasional rate sales they have here that makes it an excellent deal. (I snagged this for about $100 per night during the month of December)

Room Tip: There are rooms that have a great view of Lake Michigan so ask about those. Our room had a partial v...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Izbo25 -
I am so pleased that you "get" what we are trying to accomplish here at the Blackstone. It is definitely a gorgeous, historic hotel, but we absolutely appeal to the modern day traveler!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts - we appreciate it.
Hope you visit us again soon.