“Nice hotel for the location”

Renaissance Blackstone Chicago Hotel
Ranked #37 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Port Orange, Florida
“Nice hotel for the location”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I generally love Renaissance hotels. The Mercat restaurant here was the best attraction. The room was comfortable, quiet, though small, and the lighting in the bathroom not adequate for makeup application. My frequent guest preferences were not mentioned or fulfilled, kept getting fewer bath linens each day. The walls in the bathroom have a glossy nay wall paper which had ugly white splash marks under the towels. Had to request my amenity 3 times over 3 days, they kept forgetting.

Due to a hip problem the stairs make navigating this hotel difficult for me. there are some work arounds if you can get someone to show you.

1 Thank bpbeth
Kimberly C, General Manager at Renaissance Blackstone Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Hi BP Beth,
Thank you so much for your review. I would love to get some additional feedback from you regarding your stay so I can follow up and see what your guest preferences were and why we didn't fullfill them as well as your amenities. Our team is generally very in tune with those things so I very much apologize!
Our hotel is a historic building and you are correct, if you don't know where the elevators are it appears that there are only stairs to get from certain floors. Let me assure you that is not the case!
Please let me know the next time you come to Chicago - we would love the opportunity to welcome you again and make this your favorite Chicago destination.
Kim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Korean first
Hammond, Indiana, United States
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Visited this property over the weekend, Feb 23rd & 24th. The lobby was packed due to what I'm assuming was a larger event held in the ballroom. The check-in experience was pleasant, front desk associate was friendly and upbeat. Used my name several times and sent us off with a smile. The guest room was great aesthetically, but had its quirks.

Overall our stay experience was average at best.

We experienced some inconveniences during our stay:
-The ice machine on our floor (19th) was non-functioning
- Couldn't get the shower above luke warm (not having a shower door to help capture the heat didn't help much). The water was cold enough to force my fiancee to wait until we returned home to shower.
-The walls are pretty thin. I could hear the adjoining room pressing the buttons on their microwave and having low volume conversations.
-Housekeeping staff attempted to clean our room prior to our check-out time, which I found frustrating (mentor moment here for the Housekeeping Manager on property).

Overall, the property is beautiful and the rooms are very unique in their decor. If I was asked to recommend a property on the Mag Mile, unfortunately, I would not choose the Blackstone as my first or even second choice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Carl M
Thank you so much for your feedback. I am so very sorry that you found some things that were not up to par with your stay! I am unsure of what the water situation is - generally this is not an issue and we will be sure to get to the bottom of it! I will definitely pass your comments onto our Executive Housekeeper for his review.
Once again I appreciate you taking the time to provide this feedback. We would love the opportunity to welcome you back and turn your opinion into one of greatest! Please contact me directly if you come back to Chicago.
Burbank, California
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Very luxurious hotel. The bed is among the most comfortable of beds I have slept in at a hotel. Staff was friendly, although check in took forever, with only 3 people in line. Seemed like it should have been shorter, but I'm not going to get upset over something like that. Got a great deal on priceline, I would stay here again - - - although I am not crazy about the location. If it is your first time to Chicago, it is a good spot location wise, but if you like the bars on Rush st or the shopping on Michigan Ave, this is not close to those areas. If you want those areas, check out comporable properties like the Sofitel or the Westin.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Kimberly C, General Manager at Renaissance Blackstone Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Hi Autiger,
Thanks very much for taking the time to write a review! We are thrilled that you enjoyed the hotel and look forward to welcoming you back! Our location is a little South of the areas you noted - but for some people they like it better being near beautiful Grant Park and the Museum Campus.
Happy traveling!
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Our overall experience was A+.

The beauty and character of the hotel are reason enough to stay here; and when you add the staff, the Blackstone is a must visit. Before we arrived, the Social Media Team engaged us on Twitter (follow them @BlackstoneHotel), and when we walked in from the freezing Chicago air, the Front Desk Team made us feel like longtime family friends. We were wowed before we opened the door to our room, and the room did not disappoint. The comfy beds; wonderful linens; soft bathrobes; great workspace; spacious bathroom; and beautiful view made me want to move in permanently!

If you are undecided about where to stay in Chicago, I hope this review helps. The location is perfect, close to an "L" Station, next to Navy Pier, and close to Soldier Field.

The only, and I mean only, unflattering thing I can say is the internet service isn't the best, and the system's roaming partners didn't access correctly.

I have shared my opinion with many friends, and will stay at the Blackstone EVERY time I visit Chicago. Based on the impression created by the property and staff, I will find reasons to visit Chicago more often.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Kimberly C, General Manager at Renaissance Blackstone Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Wow! Thank you so much for your review!!! Not to mention how great the pictures are - awesome. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay and am so happy that the staff met your expectations. There are alot of great looking hotels out there but we are really proud of our team who really make the Blackstone what it is!
WE hope you come back!
Thanks much,
Frisco, Texas
Reviewed February 16, 2013

This hotel is one of the really good ones in Chicago; nice, clean and classy. I have stayed twice as part of a business group at meetings. The rooms are excellent, particularly if you get a view. The fitness room is plenty large, but way too heavy on weights, etc. and too light on arobic machines...so there can be quite a line in the morning. Also, a few machines were out of service when I was there, adding to the issue. The meeting rooms/service are outstanding, if you have the need for one. It is a good enough location, but a tad far south for most things. Also access to the CTA is bad. That being said, the location is safe, clean and neat.

Room Tip: I had a high-floor view of the lake, but many rooms of course, face buildings. Try to get a lake-fa...
Hello Dave Texas,
Thanks so much for writing a review, we really appreciate it! I'm so glad that you enjoy the hotel and have been a return guest. I do apologize for the machines being out of order and will certainly look into it to be sure it doesn't happen in the future.
We hope to welcome you back again, soon!
Stockholm Sweden
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Large, modern, stylish rooms with good working space, large bathroom etc. Quite a different style to this hotel, with a spanish tapas theme for the restaurant and bar (serving good food & great spanish wine). Restaurant is a bit simple but this is very typical spanish. Service is good throughout the hotel. Good sized gym and a very nice executive lounge on the 23rd floor. Excellent conference facilities with well layed out rooms. Nothing to complain about so all in all a good, different styled hotel not far from the water. Good for both business and pleasure.

Room Tip: Try to get into the 23rd floor with access to the very good exec lounge
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Kimberly C, General Manager at Renaissance Blackstone Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
HI RichardU -
So glad you enjoyed the hotel! We take great pride in the historic but stylish hotel that we have along with our terrific staff. So glad you enjoyed the restaurant, as well! It is an Jose Garces, Iron Chef restaurant which makes it even more unique!
We have to welcome you back soon.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed February 4, 2013

My room was perfect - large and super comfortable bed, wonderful linens, plenty of space, gorgeous bathroom. My only complaint might be that the view was bad, and the shade (curtains could not be drawn) was either down for privacy (and then the room was dark) or up for no privacy (and then the room was light). I would have preferred an option that gave privacy during the daylight hours without being in darkness.

Since I am not a person who spends a lot of time in my room per se (so sleep quality is important), I would definitely stay here again. Location is very convenient.

Room Tip: Try to get a high floor facing the lake.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thanks Ms. Parker,
We appreciate the review on the hotel! As with most downtown hotels, you have some rooms that have fabulous views and others that aren't so great..... please let me know the next time you come to Chicago - I would love for you to experience a great view! WE appreciate you taking the time to review the property and happy that you found so many things enjoyable about it.