“Our home in Chicago!”

Ranked #40 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Lakewood, Colorado
“Our home in Chicago!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

We just got back from 7 nights at The Blackstone. This was our second stay here this year and I just had to write about them. We LOVE this hotel. Pay a little more to be upgraded to one of the top floors so you have access to the lounge on the top floor. Brekafast in the morning and snacks in the afternoon (could be dinner). Plus wifi. The staff is amazingly friendly and helpful. The location works for us as we are close to the park and the red line. Just a few blocks further for the blue line. We highly recommend The Blackstone for your next trip to Chicago!

Room Tip: Try for a lakeview. You will LOVE the view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dan H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Korean first
Rock Island, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

Of the several mid-high-end hotels I've stayed at in Chicago, this is probably my favorite for the quality of the rooms and the friendly staff. The hotel is positioned such that so long as your room has a window that faces either east or west you'll have either a great city view or a view looking out over Grant Park. Nicely appointed rooms.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lawandwine45
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

Very nice room very pleasant staff and great location. It reminds me of one of the W hotels. My biggest gripe is that the wifi was way too expensive. The bad was very comfortable and the linens were nice. The bathroom was nice but it was strange to have a shower with no door. There was a door to the bathroom but inside the bathroom the shower was open. Very modern and clean

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

Really enjoyed the old-time feel of the hotel, including the original floor tiles in the elevator. Great location to walk up and down Michigan Ave. Right next to Buddy Guy's Legends blues club. Friendly staff. Good restaurant and also features a club lounge. Would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank shauna_steved
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

This hotel is quite amazing. It has a very rich history and quite a bit of character. The lobby, the ballroom, and restaurant are all beautiful. The rooms are spacious and clean with marble floors leading into the bathroom. The location is ideal just blocks from Lake Michigan and roughly a half a mile from Magnificent mile. The hotel is unique in terms of the history of the building. I would highly recommend this hotel for a couples retreat or even solo as it puts you in the perfect location.

Room Tip: request high floor and a view facing east
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Israel G
Kalamazoo MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

I recently stayed at the Blackstone my second time in 2 years and although this time was not as good as the first I will give the property a positive review.
The staff was very nice an friendly throughout my stay. The rooms where clean and well put together. The only problem I had was the noice that occured all night long. There was a large wedding at the property and the guest were a bit crazy in the hallway in during the night. Because of this I was not able to get any sleep during the night.
I called the manager after I checked out on Sunday to inform him of my experience and he was very appologetic.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank yardie8860
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

My friend and I stayed at the Blackstone Renaissance for the weekend recently and were very happy with the accommodations. The hotel is in a great location and fairly easy to get to, even if you're unfamiliar with Chicago. It's in very close proximity to both Blue and Red Line CTA stops, so you could very easily train in from O'Hare and not have to walk too far.

My friend and I looked for alternative parking options around the hotel and were able to find a lot directly behind the hotel for about $35/night, which is significantly cheaper than the hotel's valet service (I'm not even sure where their garage was, though we did look). My car was safe there the whole weekend.

The lobby of this hotel is stunning and comfortable: very reflective of the era it was built in. This hotel has a great deal of history from the moment you walk in. Check-in was quick, friendly, and efficient: all of my requests were honored (high floor, etc.), though very little was mentioned from staff about the hotel's amenities. The concierge was more than happy to help me find directions to the Blue Line station, and was all smiles. The bellman we ran into in the elevator was so friendly and we definitely can't speak highly enough about his recommendation for the nearby Bongo Room for breakfast - the wait was SO worth it and his menu recommendation was spot on - much appreciated.

Every time I spoke to someone on the phone (housekeeping, front desk, etc.), I was met with a friendly voice and help was provided - though I felt $13 to bring two wine glasses (without wine) to the room was a bit ridiculous. We did not eat at the hotel's restaurant, though we heard it is a great place. The on-site Starbucks was quite large, but the workers had very little interest in any conversation beyond what was required.

Our room was great. There was a large entryway and a closet (with safe) that even had a light in it! The bathroom was bigger than some hotel rooms I've been in, and was gorgeous. The waterfall shower head was a very nice touch, though the shower door itself is only a piece of glass that covers about half of the shower, so it's VERY easy to drench your bathroom if you're not careful.

The bed was HEAVENLY (very soft - be advised if you prefer a firmer mattress), and the refrigerator was a nice addition, as well as the dimming lights on each side of the bed. Wi-Fi is free in the lobby, but there is a charge in-suite. The TV is against the side wall, which I thought was strange, but I soon realized it pivots out to face the bed thankfully.

While we weren't at the hotel too much and didn't take advantage of almost any of the amenities, I love this hotel - beautiful, well maintained, historic, and the rooms are incredibly large and comfortable: location is hard to beat, as well.

If you want a very chic hotel at a decent price, I would highly recommend the Blackstone. Seldom is a hotel of this age so modernly decorated. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Drive around the hotel before opting for their parking lot - there were much cheaper surface lots wi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends