“Beautiful rooms!”

Ranked #39 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Beautiful rooms!”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Prior to arriving in Chicago, I called the Blackstone to check on room type, etc since I had booked on Priceline and I wanted a room with a view and a king sized bed. The woman I spoke with at the desk was very helpful and did not speak to me as some hotels would because I had booked on Priceline. After the conversation, I was impressed with the service had had high expectations for the level of service once I got to the hotel. During our conversation, I had asked how to get to the hotel from the Midway airport. I was told that I could take the train for only $2.25 per person or a cab for $30. I was also told that the nearest stop was only a couple of blocks away and that people walk it a lot. Well, those couple blocks seemed like miles and it was extremely hot. It would have been worth it to pay the $30 for a cab. Before my pre-check in conversation concluded, the hotel employee told me that she would notate our account to "surprise and delight us" since this was the first time my boyfriend had been to such a big city. Upon arrival, I was not surprised or delighted. The doorman didn't open the door, or help carry our bags up the stairs. The desk clerk was nice enough, but I didn't get a sense that she cared whether or not I was there.
I stopped by the "Navigator" desk (aka concierge) desk to inquire about good restaurants in the immediate area that were not overly pricey and had a fun atmosphere. I expected the concierge/navigator to ask questions, find out what we were looking for, and provide personal recommendations, but instead I was given a handout with a list of restaurants that were nearby. Not impressed with that service, she could have a least pointed out one or two on the list that were her favorites.
Upon entering the room, I immediately saw the great view that we paid $40 per night more for, along with the beautiful, somewhat modern decor and furnishings. I loved the room and could live there! The placement of the closet was odd, with a very long hallway that seemed to be a waste of space. Overall, the room and bathroom was spectacular.
One aspect of the hotel's location that I did not appreciate, was the number of bums/homeless people that hasseled us each time we went out at night. This led to a very uncomfortable time coming and going. The hotel is right across from the entrance to Grant Park, so using public transportation was a breeze.
The quality of the customer service did not match the quality of the rooms, hotel interior, or even the location. I think that if the employees were trained to make an effort to greet each guest, act like they cared the guests were there, and tried to make the stay special and memorable, this hotel would be nearly perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor, we paid the $40 per night upgrade to get a view of Lake Michigan...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CactusCassie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
  • Korean first
Twin Falls, Idaho
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I stayed two nights while attending a conference at the next door Hilton Chigaco hotel. The Blackstone is an historic hotel that has been very tastefully remodeled and well kept. Everything was very clean. The decor of the hotel is great - if you get a chance poke your head into the ballroom on the second floor - very cool.

The rooms were very spacious for an older hotel - the bathroom was quite large. I had a room on the 12th floor overlooking Grant Park. Relatively quiet for being on Michigan Avenue. The public rooms of this hotel are smaller, especially compared to the enormous Hilton. The concierge lounge is very small - maybe seating for 12 people. One of the skimpiest breakfast and snack selection I have ever encountered at a Marriott property.

It is about 10 blocks south of the Chicago river and the heart of the Magnificant Mile. Walkable, but it is a hike. It is two blocks from the red line that will connect you with the "loop" and also the blue line to O'hare airport.

My only issue with the hotel is the staff was just kinda there - nothing extraordinary. Great service when you asked for something but not outgoing at all. During the check-in process they barely greeted me and did not speak at all unless answering a question. Amenities were never explained, etc. Not a huge deal but usually high end properties are looking for ways to make your day. This is the only reason they did not get an excellent rating from me. Everything else was wonderful.

Room Tip: Definately want a room facing Grant Park - the rest will have a great view of other buidlings.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Loved this hotel. Wonderful decor, clean, luxurious beds and bedding, central Chicago, can walk everywhere from here. Was pretty expensive though £160 per night room only in April. Wifi only free in reception too!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Denville, New Jersey
Reviewed August 8, 2012

This is the famous hotel where Al Capone (played by Robert De Niro) smashed the head of one of his gang members with a baseball bat at a banquest in the movie "The Untouchables". Today you still have the picture of Al Capone in the hotel rooms that reminds you of the gang culture of Chicago. While the picture of Al Capone may not bring a peaceful mind to you, this hotel actually is located in a pretty nice and quite segment of south Michigan Avenue. Millienium Park is right across the street. The room is not big, but nice and clean. Staff is very friendly and helpful.

The only negative thing is the lack of food options. It only has one restaurant which closes pretty early at night. The Starbucks downstairs even close around 5 or 6 o'clock. So if you get hungry at night, room service is your only option unless you want to venture outside. Good thing is that around the corner is a Dunkin's where you can grab a quick bite.

If you have a car, don't park at the hotel which charges you $40-$50 dollars per night for valet parking. Just one block ahead, there is a parking garage that charges half the money.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Byron L
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Recently had the opportunity to visit The Blackstone this past week and enjoyed every minute of it. The lobby was amazing, and it really made us feel as if we had stepped back in time. They even had a pool table for guests to use. As for the rooms, no complaints and very comfortable. The wallpaper in the bathroom was unique, and the views from our room were breathtaking. If you get the chance, I definitely recommend you ask for a higher floor - you won't be disappointed. There is a Starbucks located on the bottom floor of the hotel which was convenient, as well as the hotel's restaurant (didn't have the chance to eat there.) You honestly can't beat the location of The Blackstone. It's right on Michigan Ave. and across from Grant Park.

This property is the epitome of a Renaissance property - both boutique and unique. I'll definitely be staying here again.

Room Tip: Higher floor if possible
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pdghotelie
Montgomery, AL
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Staff accomodated us with an early checkin, which was very nice. Hotel is located within walking distance to many restaurants. The room was very clean and comfortable, not much view, but this is fairly typical for a city. The only downside to this hotel is the bar is always loud and crowded, too small for a hotel this size.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Had a nearby business convention and chose this hotel on the basis of TripAdvisor reviews. My wife traveled with me and we were not disappointed. Front desk was very welcoming and accommodated some special requests. Hotel staff was uniformly cheerful and courteous, and our room was relatively spacious and very clean, with an unusually comfortable king-bed and plush bedding. We also really liked the contemporary decor - a surprise considering the ornate "old world" building, lobby, and meeting areas. And, unlike some reviewers, we enjoyed the contemporary open-style glass shower and stylish bathroom fixtures. Minor issue with loud sound when nearby showers were in use in the morning, but it was a very temporary irritation. Location was great for visiting beautiful Grant Park and we walked to the Shed Aquarium, which was amazing, although overcrowded the day we went. We did not get a chance to eat at the hotel but will next time because we will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a wonderful view of Grant Park and the lake but we lucked out because it appears most of the...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business