“Nice and clean”

Ranked #36 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Orange County, California
“Nice and clean”
Reviewed January 11, 2012

We stayed here overnight while attending a work function. They hotel offered us a great rate. The location is great right on Michigan ave. The rooms were very clean and nice. the bed and linens were great, the bathrooms with Kohler fixtures and rain shower were great (5 star). The elevator lobbies on the floors were nice. The only thing that would need updating would be the lobby. Too much black. You are greeted by friendly doormen and as you enter the lobby there is a circular couch that they should do away with and the check in desks are off to the left and don't stand out. Valet parking was a bit steep $53.00 overnight (1 time charge - use your car as much as you like) when public overnight parking was $33.00.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
  • Korean first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I stayed at the Blackstone for New Years with some friends. We spent 3 nights there. I have stayed at many Marriotts, JW's and Renaissance hotels and this is one is definitely one of my favorites, with the Eden Roc in Miami ranking at the top of my list. I loved the modern decor. The marble in the room, the glasses, the comfy chair added great touches. I only had a few minor issues with The Blackstone. The first was that we couldn't get an upgrade to a lakeview room and had a pretty horrible view of the subway behind the hotel. They were nice enough to give my sister and I two rooms right next to each other, but my room was clearly bigger and had room for the comfy chair. My sister's room did not and she also had a sliding bathroom door which many people complained about, but she loved it. My next issue with The Blackstone is the towels. The quality was not that great. My final issue, which isn't really an issue, was the water spilling out of the shower. Not a real issue, but I've stayed at other Renaissance properties where the showers were closed in with glass, sans the tub, also in Chicago. My boyfriend complained of the cold air, every time I came into the bathroom and he was in the shower. LOL. But this again was a very minor issue.

I thought the area was great and very convenient to everywhere we needed to go. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The housekeeping staff did an excellent job of cleaning our rooms daily.

All in all, I will definitely be staying at The Blackstone when I'm in Chicago next. I've been to Chicago 3 times in the past 6 months and I'm sure I will be back soon. Thank you Blackstone for just a most enjoyable stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Kenosha, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for New Year's Eve. We had a lovely corner room on the 15th floor with views of the city and the lake. The room was gorgeous and very clean. Hotel staff was super friendly. Icing on the cake was the unexpected fireworks show at midnight!

Higly recommend staying at this historic Chicago hotel.

Buffalo, NY
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Stayed one night for a work meeting. I was upgraded to a corner room on a high floor due to gold status with Marriott. Had a beautiful view of Lake Michigan, and the park across Michigan Ave from the hotel.

Large room was well appointed, and had a first for me, a TV integrated into the bathroom mirror, a little over the top right? Bathroom was shower only, which I prefer, and was large, clean, and well done.

Used fitness room, which was also above average for a property this size, plenty of workout options for most anyone.

Did not eat in hotel, but checked out the dining room, Spanish Tapas, pretty room, and was busy.

Also, hotel is in a great location for walking to sites and shopping in area

All in all, I cannot say anything negative, a solid hotel!

Room Tip: Try and get a corner room with lake view
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank RobBflo1
Chicago, IL
Reviewed December 22, 2011

We stayed for 1 night because we were attending a work holiday party. Under the lowered block rate of $139, it was a steal. The room is very comfortable and warm, with nice fade up-down lights, a great bed, and an oversized chair with foot rest. The extra decor of books on Chicago and art were a classy touch. The bathroom is very large.

We were given a handicap room, which was odd, since we aren't, so the room was probably slightly adjusted to that (fold down bench in the shower, almost no counter space on the sink, and the closet's rack was so low, that we couldn't hang a suit bag on it). I'm sure that those inconveniences would be a non-issue with the regular rooms.

The adjoining restaurant serves an amazing brunch for just $25 per person. Tons of buffet food, a bloody mary bar, and then they bring out plate after plate of hot breakfast tapas. It's more than enough for a man with a healthy appetite and his wife. We didn't have lunch that day because we were still so full.

Room Tip: Specify you don't want a handicap room. Always ask for a higher floor if you can get it. We were...
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed December 18, 2011

I recently stayed here one night, and then the next night at the new Radisson Blu. Gold recognition here is good - we got a great view of the lake in a really nice end room. Rooms are nicely appointed.

The only reason I'm giving it 4 instead of 5 stars is because of the staff in the club lounge - they are quite aggressive about wanting to close up shop in the morning. I came up for breakfast at 8:45 with very little food left on the counter (they stop serving at 9:00). When I asked for a cereal bowl (there was only one left and we needed two) the lady said she would get one, but for me to remember they were closing in 10 minutes. At 8:55 they started carrying away the unreplenished food items. When I asked why they were closing early, they said they had to because there was no food left for them to put out. Moving away the coffee and orange juice dispenser before we could refill? C'mon, guys.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Stayed here July long weekend for two nights. It was a great way to start off our stay in Chicago. Gorgeous decor with a swanky bathroom. The bed was comfortable. There is a Starbucks attached to the hotel.

No bed bugs.

The staff were very professional. My husband forgot his toothbrush and they gave him a complimentary one. Valet parking is a little expensive but it's the price you pay for the convenience.

Most of the tourist attractions are within a 15-min walking distance. These included the Art Institute, Sears Tower, Tastes of Chicago, Aquarium and Metra. We got the CityPass which is highly recommended, especially on the July long weekend.

I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SniperMonkey
AdminExec, Executive Assistant at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Dear Snipermonkey,
Thank you for your kind words regarding our historic hotel. It is always a pleasure to provide our guests with a stay to remember. Our staff pride themselves in being of as much assistance as they possibly can.

Our whole hotel had a large renovation in 2008 and I agree the décor is just delightful. Did you get chance to see the art exhibit? We always have various displays going on which can really tantalize your imagination.

With everything so close by, visits to Chicago can be really complimented by our hotel. We hope to welcome you back to the Blackstone in the future.