“Overall great hotel”

The Blackstone, Autograph Collection
Ranked #37 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed July 10, 2011

My family and I stayed 5 nights at the blackstone. The location couldn't be more ideal to Grant park and the taste of chicago. The room was very spacious and very well decorated. The only negative side of the room was the sliding door in the bathroom, it allowed for little to no privacy, other then that the blackstone was a very nice hotel and I would recommend to family and friends.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank tanirarivera
DOSBlackstone, Director of Sales at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2011

Good afternoon,
Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to post your comments on Trip Advisor. We truly believe that feedback is a gift, both positive and negative.
I hope you enjoyed the Taste of Chicago. Did you come in specifically for the Taste? If you are back next year or before, please let us know. We would love to welcome you back.

Reviewed July 7, 2011

The Blackstone is a really nice hotel on Michigan Avenue. It's a bit of a walk to Water Tower and that area of the city, but close to the Sears Tower, the parks, and the loop.

I was there for a wedding and got to see the honeymoon suite - amazing! The regular rooms, which I was in, were really nice. Comfy beds and very quiet. The only thing I would have preferred was a bathroom door that closed tightly, not some modern slidey thing! Oh, and they should really give you free wireless in the room, not just in the lobby. Bummer. But, it's a great hotel - I'd go back.

I didn't get to eat Mercat, but would definitely try it the next time - newly Michelined!

Room Tip: Aim for height and a Lake Michigan view
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ecojojo81

Thank you for posting comments on Trip Advisor. We truly appreciate your taking time out of your busy schedule. Feedback is truly a gift, both positive and negative.
The best part of the hotel's location in the proximity to Grant Park, the various concerts in the summer and the beautiful Buckingham Fountain. Of course, shopping is very close on Michigan and State Streets.
I hope that you join us again for a leisure trip!

Reviewed July 5, 2011

I've read the recent reviews and I'm saddened to see there were so many bad experiences as ours was outstanding. I came to Chicago for the 1st time with my lady and we stayed in the most perfect room. The staff was great the location was great for the Taste of Chicago we only had to walk 2 blocks to the Taste. We were 3 blocks from the lake, and less than a mile from the Shed Aquarium and The Field Museum. The staff was very pleasant they even watched our bags when we checked out so that we could finish using our CityPass. The decor in the hotel was nice... loved the Art Hall, The Fitness room and lounge area downstairs... I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank R0ll0ut

Thank you so much for your post on Trip Advisor. We truly believe that feedback is a gift, both positive and negative. We take all comments, share with our team and look for ways to improve.
I hope that you enjoyed the Taste of Chicago, Shedd Aquarium and the Field Museum. The Blackstone's location is perfect for all 3 of those venues, not to mention the Buckingham Fountain and Grant Park!
Hopefully, your travels will bring you back to Chicago.

Reviewed July 5, 2011

I was very disappointed in the Blackstone. The bright spot was the friendly staff. While the room was large, the bathroom doors were off their track and would not close. We stayed 3 days and each day had to call the front desk to get towels because we didn't get replacements. We did not get clean drinking glasses, our tea was not replaced and the towels were simply threadbare. I get better towels at a Ramada Inn. Very disappointed for the money spent. Would never book here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Nebraskan030
DOSBlackstone, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2011

Good afternoon,
Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to post a comment on Trip Advisor. We truly believe that feedback, both positive and negative, is a gift. It is through comments that we as a hotel celebrate our successess and improve when we were less than stellar in providing service to our guests.
I will definitely take your comments to the appropriate departments and share.

Reviewed June 29, 2011

The check-in experience proved to be predictive of our hotel stay. I reserved a 395 square foot room with a king bed at a rate of $259.00 (+ $39.88 state and local taxes for a total charge of $ 298.58). Upon entering the room following check-in, we found ourselves in minuscule space of which the king bed occupied most of the footprint…. literally, not figuratively, as narrow passageways on the sides and foot of the bed represented the only open floor space. Four days of this, no way! I called the front desk to state the room did not meet the specifications of the reservation and insisted on being placed in another room. The clerk advised the hotel was sold out and the room was the only one available with a king bed which begs the obvious question, what happened to the 395 square foot room with king bed that I had reserved three days prior to my arrival! The clerk advised a larger space was available; however, it was furnished with two queen beds. I find it very telling that the front desk clerk did not extend the consideration of advising us up front that the reserved room was not available and no attempt was made to offer an acceptable alternative. The clerk’s modus operandi was to surreptitiously purvey an inferior offering with no consideration for the commitment made at the time of the reservation and no consideration for me as a guest.
The alternative room was a large space furnished with two queen beds, an uncomfortable lounge chair, table, large marble top desk with wide screen flat panel TV, matching marble top night stand with an iPod player between the beds and a gentlemen’s armoire with dual dresser drawers. There was a space for a mini-bar and refrigerator; however, these had been removed although a personal coffee maker remained. The room also had a small closet which housed an in-room personal safe. The bathroom was decorated with an eye-popping black and white paisley wallpaper and was fixtured with a rain shower over tub configuration. The bath room was stocked with selected branded toiletries; however, there was only one mini-soap for the wash basin and shower. My multiple pleas to the reluctant housekeeper were finally met with an agreement to provide a second bar of mini-soap.
The room was located on the interior of the hotel and the windows were framed by high rise walls on all sides, thus there was very little natural light, the consequence of which was a very dark room. No attempt to compensate for the lack of natural light with additional artificial lighting had been made. There is a $12.95 per diem charge for in-room Wi-Fi internet service, the hallmark of which was marginal and dreadfully slow connectivity. Dial-up should come to mind. Perhaps this was a function of the room’s interior location; however, to extend a per diem charge for what was effectively an undeliverable is a bit cheeky.
The in-room décor was of a contemporary design which is in contrast to the Beaux-Arts design of the hotel’s exterior and interior common areas. The dark wood paneling and gold leaf lobby décor is striking and evocative of fine hotels of days past.
The hotel has a small business center, shop for newspapers and magazines and a health center that we did not take advantage of. The concierge was very helpful in arranging airport transportation. The dining venue is a Spanish tapas restaurant, Mercat a la Planxa, where a full breakfast commands a price point of $22.00 inclusive of gratuity. A Starbucks is located on the street level of South Michigan Avenue and there was what I believe to be recently opened take out venue associated with Mercat located directly across from Starbucks.
The hotel’s location is its hallmark as it sits across from Grant Park and within close walking distance of Millennium Park, the Art Institute of Chicago, Buckingham Fountain, the Field Museum and the Adler Planetarium
Finally, I required an envelope to keep some receipts in and discovered there was no stationery in the room; therefore, I went both to the front desk and concierge only to be advised envelopes don’t exist! One can only assume the individual responsible for bathroom soap also has responsibility for stationery and envelopes. Yes, I am being petty; however, it is indicative of this hotel’s service and quality deficiencies. A multi-million dollar renovation does not, in and of itself, make a fine hotel. If you elect to stay here, I recommend you to ask all of the right questions to insure your accommodation meets your expectations. Secondly, I would recommend incurring the additional expense for a room overlooking Grant Park and Lake Michigan beyond.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank NewJerseyMember
DOSBlackstone, General Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2011

I would like to first say Thank you for giving your feedback about your stay. Feedback, both positive and negative, is a gift. It is our way to fix the problems and celebrate the successes.

My apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. I will be sharing with my staff and addressing the issues to make sure this doesn't happen in the future.

Once again, thank you for your comments.

Reviewed June 28, 2011

Booked this hotel on Priceline, which guarantees two people in a room but not bed types. Since it was my brother and I, I called over a week in advance to request two beds in the room. The person told me such rooms were all booked but she would make a note to have a rollaway in the room. However, when we arrived, no rollaways were available, and we did not receive one until the next night. I understand I used Priceline so the hotel probably is not giving us its best service, but why tell me a week beforehand we could have one if they couldn't provide it? Also, the hotel is trying to be chic, with a sliding semi-transparent door to the bathroom, but it didn't even close all the way and you could see (and hear) into the bathroom from a certain angle. On top of that, the shower door is clear. Not the best for privacy. Finally, rooms are not very soundproof and we could hear all of the action in the hallways, doors slamming, etc.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you for your comments. I apologize for your experience being only "okay". At the Blackstone, all guests are treated like valued customers no matter what price is paid. Travelers have many choices when it comes to accommodations and I think you for choosing the Blackstone. I will definitely be addressing your issues with the department manager.
My apologies.

Reviewed June 26, 2011

We recently stayed at this property in Chicago for a friend’s weekend, while attending a concert nearby. The property is located in the Columbia/Roosevelt College area with great walking access to the parks across the street, and Navy Pier or Shedd aquarium, depending if you go left or right on Michigan Ave. out the hotel. The L train was easy access thru either the blue or red line, within about 4 blocks of the hotel. We mostly took the red line up several stops to the water, then ventured to the city and walked to explore different areas of town. Used the train to get to/from the hotel and airport as well, took less time and was considerably cheaper than a cab ride.

The hotel staff was courteous and friendly upon check-in. We arrived early around 1pm and were able to secure a room right away. Concierge also pointed out great authentic Chicago eats for hotdogs and Italian beefs. There is also a Starbucks located below the lobby at the Michigan Ave. entrance; that was super convenient in the morning. If you are feeling outdoorsy, there is a bike rental shop out on Michigan Ave. to the left 3-4 blocks; easy to rent bikes and tour the coastline up to Navy Pier and the city/beach.

*ROOM DESCRIPTION -- King room with City View (basically view of an apartment building; and we kept the blinds closed mostly) Room was large and roomy. Desk and Large flat screen TV, iPod/iPhone player (nice touch), in-room coffee maker (but Starbucks is just downstairs), mini-fridge (empty, which is great and we fill w/ what we want) Bed was comfy with nice selection of firm and soft pillows. Bathroom had walk-in, entry shower with rain type shower head and AVEDA bath products. Closet was able to accommodate both of our travel bags and plenty of drawer space to unpack. We did not use room service or eat at the hotel, but the restaurant was packed for Father's Day brunch and smelt delicious.

All-in-all the Blackstone is a well-preserved, spacious hotel, with great amenities and modern updates to the rooms and common decor. It has access to all the downtown Chicago attractions; and we would recommend the hotel to our friends and family who may be visiting the area. Thanks for a great stay Blackstone~

Room Tip: Ask for Michigan Ave view; avoids apartment view
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
DOSBlackstone, Manager at The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2011

Good afternoon. Thank you for taking time out of your day to give feedback about your stay on Trip Advisor. We truly believe that all feedback is a gift and we will share your comments with the entire staff of the hotel.
I thank you again and hope to welcome you back to the Blackstone in the future.