The Blackstone, Autograph Collection
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness center
  • Breakfast included
2,167 results
All reviewsgrant parkmercat a la planxathe concierge loungeal caponebuckingham fountainsoldier fieldart institutetv in the mirrorbeautiful hotelmichigan avea lake view roomthe museum campussliding doorclassic hotelshedd aquariumsouth loopnavy pier
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I Pricelined this hotel, and I know we all worry that our four-star hotel will not be four stars. This one was. I did read some complaints about odd things that happend to a few visitors. I had no such bad luck.

Beautiful, historic hotel right on the park, about five minutes from the Art Institute of Chicago. Granted, it is on the far south end of the park, and most of the action has drifted north. But if you like to walk or take mass transit, this is not much of a problem. It's a straight shot.

I did not love Maracat, the restaurant. Seems like it was stuck in the 90s.

The reason I'm rating it as Excellent is based partially on value. You've probably stayed at nicer places, but not at this price in Chicago.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank GoneTrippn
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I spent a weekend at the Blackstone on a ladies trip. We had an excellent time at the Blackstone. Super cozy beds and we had a great view of the park. This was a super location for strolling about the city and spending time in Millenium park and down by the lake. The lobby had great decor and the restaurant in the hotel was excellent. One of our favorite meals of the weekend. Excellent tapas and sangria. Would definitely return!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 13, 2011

A great hotel, and we got it at a great price on Priceline - $110/night. Uniquely decorated, huge rooms with high quality toiletries in the large, marble bathroom (from Aveda!). An iPod stereo in the room, flatscreen TV, big comfy bed, very clean, with a good view. About a block from Buddy Guy's Legends blues bar - great! They even had blues-themed guidebooks in the room. I ordered room service 1 night from their hotel restaurant (a tapas place) and it was good and reasonably priced. Great service from all staff.
I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 only because they didn't offer free internet in the rooms (though wi-fi was free in the lobby; however in such a large hotel this isn't convenient) - a pet peeve of mine but something that seemed to be typical of other hotels in the area.
Our flight got cancelled and we had to stay in Chicago

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 7, 2011

I stayed one night in the Blackstone during a trip to Chicago at the end of May in 2011. The check-in was friendly and flawless, and I was provided a room overlooking Grant Park and the water. It was a great view and worthwhile if you are able to grab a room with such a view. Upon discovering that I didn't bring any shaving cream, I went downstairs to visit the sundries store located next to the front desk. It was shockingly under stocked, and I found myself asking the concierge for a nearby store that might sell some shaving cream. She promptly disappeared and provided me with a small complementary bottle of Barbasol.

The rooms sport a great decor with a comfortable bed and large bathroom. I was disappointed to find there were not any waters placed in my room. I rarely find a hotel these days that does not place some complementary bottled waters in them each day. I'm not sure if that was a hotel practice or an oversight.

I stopped by the gym, and although I did not work out there, I would say it was impressive. It was by no means small in size, and featured a large amount of equipment.

Upon returning from a dinner engagement, I stopped by the 1st Floor restaurant, Mercant a la Planxa, for a nightcap. The place had clearly been busy during the evening, but appeared to be emptying out. I believe it was around 10:30pm. The staff at the bar was friendly, and they told me they closed at 11pm. 11pm, on a Friday? Lots of wasted potential there for a weekend place like that, but that's neither here or there. The menu looked palatable, and I found myself committing to memory that I must try out the tapas on my next visit there.

In the morning, I decided on a walking tour of Grant Park to snap some photos instead of a run along the river. The hotel is literally directly next to the park. Aside from a few vagrants, one of which yelled at me angrily when I took a photo of a statue across the street from the hotel, it's a pleasant experience and recommended for any visitor.

There is a Starbucks on the 1st Floor, which I consider a plus for the morning coffee fix.

A minus is that the Club Floor did not appear open during my visit, and I always make a point to complain when the Club Floor is not open to Platinum Members on the weekend.

Room Tip: Get a room with the water and park view.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank bluejax21
Reviewed June 4, 2011

We stayed here one night because it was close to the Field Museum. OK, parking is just outrageous but suck it up and pay. It is so much easier than driving around trying to find a lot. So, inside is a fun and funky mix of old time hotel with some modern stuff thrown into the mix. Front desk staff were superb and when our son forgot something when we checked out, a staff member in the lobby went upstairs with us to unlock the room get it.

We ordered room service because by 6:30 pm we were hungry but too tired to go get it. We thought it would be outrageous like the parking but for three of us, we paid $63, very reasonable and did I say delish? Yup!

My favorite part was the TV in the bathroom mirror. We just don't get out much so this was just too fun. We kept the NASA channel on all night with the space shuttle on the launch pad for a night light, perfect. The only thing that was weird, and others have mentioned this...the bathroom doors that slide are too narrow so you can see someone in the shower from the living room.

The room had a high ceiling, closet space, Aveda products (woo hoo) and enough room to set up a small railroad on the floor!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family