“Good neighborhood restaurant”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Lakeview
Cross street: School/Aldine
Transit: Within a block of Clark, Belmont, and Halsted bus routes. One block from Red, Brown, and Purple lines.
Reviewed January 15, 2012

This is a pretty good neighborhood restaurant on a street with plenty of options. It’s a little more upscale (pricier) than Mia Francesca next door, so I think for this reason, I hadn’t been here before. I haven’t been to Mia Francesca in a while either, but because both serve Italian, I think it’s fair to make a few comparisons. Beyond being pricier, Socca also has a fancier menu, better-spaced tables, and a less hectic seating system. (Sidenote: Come to think of it, I have not been back to Mia Francesca since three years ago when I waited more than half an hour for my reservation). As an example of its more upscale fare, I had the day’s special lobster ravioli, Aaron had a paparadelle with bolognese sauce, and we shared the shrimp pizzette, which I can only describe as a small, flatbread-style pizza. I thought the pizzette and paparadelle were delicious. The shrimp, while small, were juicy and were nicely complemented by the chiles and cherry tomatoes. The paparadelle was soft and airy, and the bolognese sauce slightly sweet. But, the cream sauce that accompanied the lobster ravioli I felt was a little salty, and diminished the dish. This dish was also a bit smaller than the other entrees, and as someone with a big appetite, this alone made me regret ordering this. In summary, Socca is a good neighborhood spot--the food is pretty good and it’s not a nightmare to get a table, but the prices are just a little bit too high for this to be a casual weekend spot for me.

Reviewed January 15, 2012

After passing this place on several occasions and seeing it full each time, we finally decided to stop in, without reservations. The wait was approximately 35 minutes, however we were able to order an appetizer at the bar. The bartender was wonderful- helpful and friendly. The host and hostess were great as well. The appetizer, an antipasta platter was very attractive, but I was not fond of some of the spreads. My boyfriend, on the other hand, loved the duck pate and the salmon spread. The server seemed to be new: very nice but a bit overwhelmed. I believe in time she will have a better grasp. The dinner was fantastic: fresh, well seasoned, cooked to near perfection. In addition, they have wonderful espresso. As we were leaving, the owner (?) asked for our feedback, indicating that they care about their customers. I definitely intend to return and sample some of their other dishes.

Reviewed December 20, 2011

As avid foodies, we arrived in Chicago two nights ago anxious to eat. Since we travel a lot, we've become fairly good at avoiding restaurants the lack passion. After a day of sight-seeing, we returned to our host's apartment in Lincoln Park and did some quick research on neighborhood eateries in North Chicago. Much to our delight, we came across Socca. We couldn't have chosen better. Our waiter, Sam, was fantastic! The food was incredible. Since we missed lunch, we ate early and was able to take our time snacking on the antipasto board while we finished our cocktails and moved into a nice Malbec which was reasonably priced. My wife and I split the hand-made raviolis with the veal ragu alla bolognese and a braised short-rib with caramelized brussel sprouts and cauliflower puree. The food, the wait-staff, the ambiance, all oozed passion. We highly recommend.

Reviewed November 18, 2011

Lets face it, we live in one of the best cities for food. There are a plethora of options for dinner around town but Socca is our favorite go to spot. My boyfriend has lived in the neighborhood for 10 years, I’ve been here for a measly 3 years. Regardless, we’re foodies and love a good meal. We started coming to Socca about a year ago and haven’t had a bad meal since. We know what we like and we have our favorite spots. We do try new places quiet frequently but Socca has been a convenient and steady meal for us this past year and we don’t see it changing anytime soon. The menu changes seasonally and they have a few specials every week/night.

Our favorites are the steak diane bites, the pommes frites, the scallops, and the allen brothers meats. My boyfriend and I are big on service and this place has it down on the service. Our first time in we were waited on by Mark and haven’t strayed from him. After coming in a few times he started to recognize us and know exactly what we want to order. He is always on top of it and is very honest about to get on the menu.

Every time we have family or friends in town we take them here because it is close, the atmosphere is great, the service is outstanding and the food is consistently good.

If you are looking for a nice glass of wine, a good meal and top notch service, please check out Socca! You’ll be impressed.

Thank you Socca for always meeting our needs.

Reviewed November 10, 2011

We met some relatives of my wife's here, because they were familiar with the place (and it's only a few blocks from our daughter's new apartment), and they thought it was cute because the name is so close to my last name. Anyways, the restaurant was very busy (our thoughts were the extra attention due to being on a Food Network show "Best I Ever Ate". We ordered the item from the show, a shrimp pizzette, which was pretty good with balanced spices, but wouldn't consider it one of the best items I've eaten. We also had the mussels, which were also tasty, but not the best I've had--but the broth they were served in was delicious. What I did find that was incredible was their risotto with rabbit (goes by another name, but I don't recall it). It was very filling, with balanced flavors and textures. Everyone ordered something different and were very happy with what they received. I did also sample the pumpkin gnocchi, which was tasty, but I felt would make a better side than entree--it was just too sweet and one-dimensional for an entire plate of it.