“Excellent food preparation”

Cross street: Byron
Transit: CTA Brown Line Train - Stop: Irving Park
“Excellent food preparation”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Restaurant promotes a Hawaiian tie but menu has a wide selection most of which doesn't seem very Hawaiian. Still the food we had was excellent. It was artistically presented and had a nice mix of flavors. The appetizers and salad were also fresh and tasty. The duck compote that I had exceeded what I experienced in French restaurants. The duck itself was not fatty and mostly of tender, ample slices. The prices were moderate and a good buy for what was offered. The wait staff was quite knowledgeable and attentive. The decor is simple and modernistic. However, it lacks any special charm or invitingness. There are no paintings, for example. This restaurant seems to be in search of an identity. There is a full bar and a good beverage selection. Reservations are recommended weekends. Parking on the street is limited. We plan to return some time. Groupon vouchers may be available.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Innocent_Abroad

Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Amazing neighborhood gem, always great food”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I've had so many amazing meals here, both romantic dinners and brunches with family. Most recently I went for brunch, and sat inside with my parents since it was still pretty cold out. Too bad as they have outdoor seating which is great in summertime. The inside is casual but trendy, and well-suited for both a true special occasion or just anytime you want a truly great meal. They have a fireplace!

This last visit was exceptional, as I had the smoked whitefish scramble. It sounded so unique on the menu - with leeks, pears, and sambal cream cheese - and even if it sounds strange to you, you have to believe me it was truly fantastic. I didn't even want to give my family any bites, I wanted to hoard it all! I wanted to gloat about the superiority of my food. Honestly, almost everything I've ordered here makes me feel that way.

If you want fresh, California-inspired cuisine that's excellently cooked with a creative touch, you have to have a meal here.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Meredith B
Chicago, IL
“Excellence All Around”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

This was our first time back in some time, thanks to a Groupon offer. We went on a weeknight and it was fairly empty. The food, as always, was excellent and the service was top-notch too. We ordered copia and tuna, then we traded after each finishing half. Both were excellent. The molten chocolate cake ranks with the best desserts we've had. Highly recommended.

• Visited March 2014
“Awesome”
Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

I called in the afternoon to make a reservation and the person was so nice and friendly over the phone and ask if we are celebrating any occasion and I just told him just dinner with a friend
When we got there the host is so nice he asked if we want to hang our jacket and we told him it's fine. Our server was nice too we told him we r kind a bit in a hurry And told us that he's goin to tell the cook. They gave us complimentary salad lentil with Apple which is very very good we order crab cake and pulled pork which is very very good and a lot for me and my friend we also have our veggie burger which is good too. We got curious on dessert since it has ginger and candied ginger on red velvet cake and it was so good never thought it will go together we like everything on this restaurant and definitely will be back fast service and friendly staff keep up the good work thanks for the lovely dinner

“Perfection”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I have been at this restaurant on many different occasions for both dinner and brunch, for date night, with friends, and once even on a group meal after a half marathon race.
The atmosphere at the restaurant is wonderful, from the minimalistic modern decor, to the long bar, and fireplace. The service is always impecable and the staff seems to generally enjoy working there.
The meals have always been exquisite, great twists on traditional pork dishes or steaks, but I have to say the fish entrees are the best. If you are there for brunch, I don't think you could go wrong with any offer on the menu, whether you are in the mood for something sweet, like pancakes, or for something more on the savory side, like eggs or wraps. The food is rich in flavors, but so well balanced. Their cocktails as well as dessert/after dinner drinks menu are delicious, could not pick a favorite.
If you are visiting the city, Sola is deffinitely worth a trip outside of the downtown area, just like I travel outside of my neighborhood just to have a meal here.

• Visited January 2014