“Great neighborhood spot”

Transit: CTA Brown Line Train - Stop: Irving Park
Denver, Colorado
“Great neighborhood spot”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

My date and I had a lovely time at this neighborhood restaurant. The server was "just right" and provided an excellent overview of the wine list and specials. I enjoyed the beet salad and scallops. Neighborhood has many music venues to combine with dinner, making it a perfect "date night" neighborhood.

• Visited March 2013

Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
“Good sandwiches”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Nice place to stop in for a quick bite to eat. Had chicken pita with tomatoes and a ginger sauce. Was very clean and service was quick. Prices were reasonable for Chicago.

Visited February 2013
Chicago, IL
“Hawaiian fusion”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Sola is one of our favorite restaurants. We dine here at least 2-3 times a month. Our favorite dishes include the Kalua pork appetizer, all vegetables but especially the crispy Brussels sprout leaves, beet salad and onion strings. We order whatever the special is that day and have never been disappointed. The main courses are all wonderful with flavor combinations that are creative tasty and remind us of the best food we have had in Hawaii. We also like the brunch--either sweet like the stuffed French toast or savory like the vegetable omelets you are in for a taste treat. I also recommend the malasadas—a pastry like doughnut served with chocolate and raspberry sauce. The service is well balance. I never feel rushed, the servers are well informed and helpful, food arrives in a timely manner; water is refilled without asking etc. If you are looking for a fine restaurant, not a chain, in a great neighborhood in Chicago I highly recommend this experience.

• Visited December 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
“Simply Ono.”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I ate here with my boyfriend on a recent trip to Chicago. He spent a month in Hawaii and loved it so I planned this as a surprise. As a bonus, I also bought a Groupon! Unfamiliar to the city, we took the Clark St./22 bus from Downtown and walked to Sola from Wrigleyville. Later we learned we were only a short walk from the Brown line back to the loop which makes it a convenient location even for out-of-towners.

The restaurant is warm and inviting with a fireplace near the entrance. We arrived 15 minutes early for our reservation and easily found seats at the bar while they prepared our table. It was Friday night and the restaurant was full but not overcrowded. The bartender gave us water and we were still looking over the drink menu when the maitre'd showed us to our table. The beer, wine and cocktail lists were inviting. He ordered an IPA and I ordered the Pretty in Pink. Both delicious. The service was excellent: our drinks and bread (3 kinds) came fast. Our appetizer, Truffle Parmesan Fries came quickly and was so delicious. I've had good fries - we ate every piece of this dish. For dinner, he had the pork. I sampled it, and it was the most juicy and delicious (ono, in Hawaiian) piece of pork I have ever eaten. I had the tuna, on recommendation from our waiter (I was waffling between the tuna and the hanger steak). It was cooked perfectly and came with a nice duo of sauces - wasabi and sweet & sour. The sides were equally delicious - the red pepper flavor in the rice is robust, in a good way. For dessert, a Mai Tai and a trio of homemade ice cream, sorbet and gelato. We chose the Pineapple Passion Fruit (I would go again JUST for this), Mint Chocolate Chip, and Butterscotch Pecan. Sola's portion sizes are generous and the prices reasonable for a restaurant of this caliber: We left feeling perfectly full (not overly, despite 3 courses, bread and drinks) and all without breaking the bank. Whether you like surf or turf, tapas or drinks, go to this restaurant.

• Visited November 2012
Wappingers Falls, New York
“Wonderful meal”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We ate a variety of tapas at Solas. We enjoyed the cheese plate, scallops, truffle Parmesan fries, kalua pork, and the eggrolls. The eggrolls were disappointing and had little flavor. The kalua pork with the banana bread was amazing and the fries were delicious! Excellent meal with friendly and efficient waite staff.

• Visited November 2012