“Southern excellence”

Blue Door Kitchen & Garden
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Door Kitchen & Garden is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #328 of 9,495 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Gold Coast
Cross street: Between Clark & Dearborn Streets
Transit: CTA Red Line Trains to Clark/Division stop #22 Clark Street Bus #36 Broadway Bus
“Southern excellence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

This is a hidden jewel. The food was superb. We started our with the fried green tomatoes with the home made pastrami, outstanding. My wife had the short ribs, I had the fried catfish both were delicious. For desert we split the 12 layer chocolate cake. You have to try it. Wine list was excellent. Staff was very friendly an accommodating. This restaurant is a must when in Chicago.

• Visited June 2013

Morristown, New Jersey
“Delicious Southern Cooking in Chicago”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

This restaurant is a perfect example of a farm to table restaurant. Chef Smith creates comfort food with an interesting twist. For example the rye crusted fried green tomatoes have house made pastrami on them. The southern pickle board was an interesting sampling. We also had the farm to crust pizza and a side order of the braised collard greens. Everything was outstanding. For dessert we ordered the hummingbird cake which was moist and very flavorful.

• Visited June 2013
San Anselmo, California
“Nice setting, mediocre food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

My brother and I dined here on a very busy Friday evening. The restaurant was bustling. It is small and every table and available standing space was taken. I actually enjoyed watching the staff maneuver amongst patrons to get food to tables and get empty tables ready for waiting guests. I enjoyed a fine cocktail while waiting for our table (the itty bitty piggy) made with bacon infused bourbon, cider, and a candied bacon garnish. Needless to say, I like bacon and bourbon, and never had the two paired together before now. It was an excellent concoction. You'll need to know there is no dedicated bartender at Table 52. The servers also stand in to make drinks. The staff here are wonderful. They know how to please guests as well as getting the basics done perfectly. My concern is that the food, while well intentioned, was mediocre at best. We had the deviled eggs to start -- bland, boring, not up to any fine standard; the pickle board, while interesting on the menu was not very well executed, with boring pickled vegetables, standard blueberry jam, an interesting pate made with bacon and crispy flat bread. It was just OK. Our entrees, a grilled pork chop and chicken fried short rib were boring and barely edible. This is not an inexpensive restaurant, so, while the ambience and staff were very good, the food really let us down. I would like to go back and hope for a better food experience.

Visited June 2013
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
“I think my expectations were too high”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

The meal was very good; however, I have had better "southern" influenced meals at a better value.

It is easy to miss the building if you aren't paying attention. There is no sign and its very small. I enjoyed the coziness of the small dining room though.

Started the meal with the shrimp and grits app. It was a good appetizer but $16 was high for a small serving for 5 small shrimp and a bowl of grits. My wife and I ordered the fried chicken (only served on Sundays) and the fried catfish. The chicken is a separated half fry that is very good. Lots of flavor. The mashed potatoes were very smooth but just okay. The catfish was served with grits, fried okra, ham, and hot sauce. Not really sure why the ham was there, but the sides were just okay. I wish I had tried the mac and cheese because it looked delicious.

The biscuits were delicious, the hummingbird cake is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated, and the service is wonderful. There may not be a better "southern" restaurant in Chicago, but there are certainly better restaurants.

Visited June 2013
Huntington, NY
“Inventive cuisine, comfortable atmosphere!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

We wanted a homey experience for our business associates during an extended business trip and Table 52 filled the bill. We sat upstairs where the dining room was like visiting family, with taste. A terrific menu with a southern influence. Great selection of bourbons. Souther fried chicken is to die for, as was the hummingbird cake and warm cheesy rolls served when seated. We can't wait to return.

Visited May 2013