“Comfort Food in Comforting Surroundings” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blue Door Kitchen & Garden

Blue Door Kitchen & Garden
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Door Kitchen & Garden is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #385 of 9,466 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Gold Coast
Cross street: Between Clark & Dearborn Streets
Transit: CTA Red Line Trains to Clark/Division stop #22 Clark Street Bus #36 Broadway Bus
chicago
“Comfort Food in Comforting Surroundings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

This restaurant serves well prepared comfort food including mac and cheese, roasted chicken, crab cakes, grits etc with a southern point of view. The building is small and homey but still somewhat upscale. Service is good and cocktails, while expensive, are very good.
Prices are generally fair and portions are generous so a couple of starters or sides, none of which are very expensive, can make a reasonable dinner.

Watch out, however, for surprises on the specials. We know one should ask about the price of specials but on an otherwise reasonably priced printed menu it is easy to forget and to be UNCOMFORTABLE when the check drives. A somewhat tough steak special carried a $65 charge.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Chicago, Illinois
“Romantic Birthday Dinner @ Table 52”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

My husband took me to Table 52 to celebrate my birthday. We made a reservation, and upon arrival, were seated promptly. It was our first visit to this restaurant, and I was surprised at how tiny this restaurant is. There really is no place to wait inside if you arrive early, and while there is a bar area, I think it only seats five. The restaurant itself must seat 30 people tops, so for all these reasons, I would strongly recommend a reservation. Despite being small, and filling up fast, we never felt rushed by the staff and there was a nice, romantic ambiance to the tiny dining room.

The complimentary goat cheese biscuits and deviled eggs arrived with our waiter, and were delicious. In fact, I really wish we could have ordered more biscuits to go with our meal! We ordered drinks, and the Margherita pizza appetizer, and then mulled over our menu choices. My cocktail, the spiced pear, was great. The pizza was good, but nothing special. For dinner, I ordered the potato cream cheese dumpling, and my husband has the pistachio-crusted chicken breast. Both were good and very filling! This is not a restaurant where you leave hungry.

I really did not have room for dessert, but since it was my birthday, I ordered Art's Hummingbird cake, which was really delicious. I could only take a few bites of it, so the waiter wrapped the rest up for me to take home.

Overall, I liked this restaurant, but not as much as I hoped I would. The complimentary appetizers and the dessert were they highlights for us. I think that Southern soul food is just to dense for me, but if it something you like, then you probably will love this charming & romantic little restaurant.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank lawgirl79
Sterling, VA
“Down South in Chicago”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

A great dining experience; the greeting, the atmosphere, the service all made us feel more like personal guests than patrons of a restaurant. The food? Simply put, superb. The dishes that we shared (pistachio encrusted chicken and the Berkshire pork chop), captured the essence of southern cooking. Our appetizer of shrimp and grits exploded with flavor and the baked cauliflower casserole as a side dish complemented the rest of the meal splendidly. We truly enjoyed the overall experience of this meal!

For some interesting twists on alcoholic libations, their menu featured drinks whose contents also had deep roots in the south.

No disappointment here.

• Visited December 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Chicago Favorite! Southern Food at it's finest.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

Table Fifty-two... where do I begin? First, it is one of Art Smith's restaurants, so that says a lot there. Secondly, Table Fifty-two is one of my all time Chicago favorites and I have lived in Chicago since 2000. Here is what Table Fifty-two is...

Table Fifty-two is a mid to high end restaurant with amazing food and atmosphere, plan on dropping $150 - $250 for dinner for two which includes wine, desert and tip. It is a small, quaint restaurant on the north side of Chicago near Division and Clark with lost of theaters and clubs/bars within walking distance (1 mile or less). The food is Southern "soul" food and is AMAZING. I have had the fried chicken which is outstanding along with the catfish, okra and hush puppies. The fried chicken is my ALL time favorite. Last week I had the tea braised short ribs which were to die for as well, not as good as the chicken but a very close runner up. The wild shrimp and grits appetizer is also worth ordering.

Table Fifty-two is a small restaurant so make sure you have reservations and show up on time, they do keep busy but they never rush you. The wait staff is outstanding.

Give it a shot and enjoy... I am sure you'll go back once you do!

• Visited November 2012
Albuquerque
“Fried chicken and waffle for breakfast!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

The chicken was good, waffle was good. Wife. Had hash. And she said it was good. Son had the shrimp and grits he said it was great. We also had a side of Mac and cheese which was excellent! A good restaurant for brunch.