“Worth the trip from Sydney, Australia!”

Blue Door Kitchen & Garden
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Door Kitchen & Garden is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #246 of 9,712 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Gold Coast
Cross street: Between Clark & Dearborn Streets
Transit: CTA Red Line Trains to Clark/Division stop #22 Clark Street Bus #36 Broadway Bus
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We travelled all the way from Australia and had been greatly looking forward to our dining experience, and Table Fifty Two did not disappoint!
The menu is full of Southern-style eccentric great cooking with unusual ingredient combinations. The pickle board appetizer and shrimp with grits were standouts! The dining environment aesthetic and service were exceptional too.
The only disappointment was the catfish, which was bland and dry. The Little Miss Piggy rum cocktail with the candied bacon is a cute novelty, but suggest skipping it!
We will definitely dine at Table Fifty Two the next time we're near Chicago!
Thank You Chef Art Smith and Team! Kind regards from Sydney.

1  Thank Compass41
There are newer reviews for Blue Door Kitchen & Garden

Reviewed October 25, 2012

The place is quaint inside and reminds almost of an old boarding house. The service was prompt and attentive but not snooty or pushy. Two at our table had the kale, brussel sprout salad with figs and pancetta. It was light and fresh and the figs and pancetta balanced the sweet and salty. Another in our group had the shrimp and grits which looked creamy and spicy with several large shrimp. Both the duck breast and duo of venison (loin & ravioli) were cooked perfectly medium rare and were juicy and tender but not too gamey. The side of collard greens were excellent. At the end of our meal we noticed Art Smith going around to all the tables. He stopped and chatted with us for about 15 minutes. He was very charming and personable and related to us all well. The wine list was not overly large and was well priced for Chicago. Highly recommend.

Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

It was exciting that Oprah chef Art Smith lived up to my expectations! We started with a wonderful bottle of Malbec. My sister had the Kale and Brussel Spout salad which was shared and amazing. She also had the Catfish which was beatifully prepared in cornmeal breading. My friend has the chicken pistachio which we found put is an Orpah favorite. It was delicious. My friends daughter who is 16 had the Margarit Pizza which was perfect for her. They were able to accomidate my gluten intolerance and I had the pork chop. It was done medium so nicely tender and juicy! It had a slight spiciness that I really enjoyed.

Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

I was so looking forward to dining at table 52 that I made reservations 3 weeks before our trip! We came on a Monday because that's when they offer their signature fried chicken. I don't like white meat & asked if I could have all dark. Our server checked with the chef & came back with a no! So of my 3 pieces 2 were white & for dark meat I got 1 tiny leg. I get it that all 3 pieces cant be dark but why not 2 of the 3? The food was really good but I was disappointed. The Mac & cheese was great as was the hummingbird cake. Would I go back on our next trip? Sad to say no. There are so many great restaurants in Chicago but I want to go where the customer is more valued.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

The atmosphere is very inviting and comfortable, the food is incredible and the service is wonderful! The fried chicken (only available two days a week) and the short rib are MUST HAVES!!! Don't miss the mac and cheese - all sides are family style. This was the best meal that I've ever had! Will definately be back again.