“"You want me to wait in THAT LINE for a Hot Dog??!!"”
Review of Hot Doug's Inc. - CLOSED

Hot Doug's Inc.
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Peoria, Illinois
“"You want me to wait in THAT LINE for a Hot Dog??!!"”
Reviewed May 12, 2012 via mobile

Last summer our closest friends, my wife and I went on a gourmet eating vacation to Chicago. Five 5 star resturants in 6 nights. Great trip. For lunch one day, my friends said we had to go eat hot dogs at Hot Doug's. "These are the BEST hot dogs you will ever eat!" my friend told me. We have already eaten at Moto and Alinea, so you think a hot dog is going to be exciting? Well we piled into the car and drove to this essentially typical Chicago residential neighborhood. On the corner was the sigh "Hot Doug's". So we found a parking spot about a block away. Now I forgot to mention that when we got into the car it was a little before 11 AM. Not when I was really ready to go have lunch eating hot dogs. "But there will be a line when we get there" my friend says. OK. People wait in line at 11 AM for a hot dog? Well we walk up to Hot Doug's, a little after 11:15 AM and there IS a line 2/3rds of the way down the street on the side of the building. It takes us nearly 35 minutes to make our way to the front door! So now it is close to noon. Lunchtime! We go into this very nice, clean establishment and it is not a hit dog stand. It is an Encased Meat Emporium. This ain't your Father's hot dig stand. The depth and breath of the kind of encased meats is amazing. Our friends got the foie gras encased meat. We went for a more tradition dog. The food is very good and the service is great. This is a place you need to go for the experience. Yes you will wait in line. And yes the hot dogs are some that you will never see anyplace else in the world! This is where you get the epitome of gourmet encased meats. It is an experience. Something that definitely needs to be experience if you go to Chicago.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Newport, Rhode Island
“Not sure it's worth the wait..”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Spent 45 minutes in line last week to experience Hot Dougs. My friend and I wanted to try as many as possible so we split 4 dogs and an order of duck fat fries. The original Chicago style dog was the hands down winner. We also tried the crawfish (pretty good), the elk (ehhh), the duck sausage with frois gras (yuck!). The duck fat fries were very tasty, but I'm not sure I would wait that long again to spend $40 on hot dogs. If I did go back I would avoid the novelty dogs and stick with the delicious original chicago dog.

• Visited May 2012
New York, NY
“Long wait!”
Reviewed May 10, 2012

Waited an hour and 20 minutes for 2 hot dogs. Staff and owner were friendly and the hot dogs were pretty good (the original) but I wouldn't wait that long again.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank amywolfieNewYork_NY
Sarasota, Florida
“If you like Hot Dogs this is Good”
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Cool hotdog joint with a hundred different kinds of Hotdogs, who knew their could be so many. Very popular place, we stood in line for 30 minutes but was an experience I will remember from my Chicago trip!

• Visited April 2012
Chicago
“Not your average dog”
Reviewed May 2, 2012

Very different hot dogs make this a great place to try out very unique dogs. Go on the day they offer the fries in duck fat and you have a gourmet dog day experience.

Visited April 2012