“Great for lunch or big deal dinner”

San Soo Gab San Korean Restaurant & Sushi House
Ranked #3,264 of 9,604 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Korean
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Takeout
Neighborhood: Lincoln Square
Evanston, Illinois
“Great for lunch or big deal dinner”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

First the negatives, they put so much banchan on the table that it's hard to move & the parking lot will test your patience & parking skills. Better to park on Western or ride your bike. I had lunch here many times, love the bibimbop but our last visit was with our younger son who was leaving for college. You do the cooking on hot coals brought to the center of the table. We ordered & cooked marinated/spicy squid & bulgogi, both delicious. We also order the seafood/green onion omelette & the obligatory bibimbop. Way too much food with the copious banchan. Service was good, a hot day, we had beers & our server was attentive, keeping us well watered, removed and replenished plates & brought us a fresh grill when ours was overly carbonized. Lively place with couples, groups of friends & families. Highly recommended.

• Visited August 2012

• Serbian first
Granger, Indiana
“LOVE all the side dishes”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Yes I agree the service can be a hit or miss but the food is just AMAZING!! I go here everytime I visit Chicago. Sometimes the service is down right horrible and sometimes it's fine! Just went yesterday and it was fine. The food was great and I ate so much I thought I was going to burst. Hands down one of the BEST Korean places I have found. I love eating the side dishes more than anything else so that's why I love this place. Over 15 sides!!

• Visited July 2012
Chicago, IL
“Good food, interesting experience.”
Reviewed March 28, 2012

We visited with a large group, including two people of Korean descent who pretty much 'drove' for us.

The parking lot and restaurant were packed, but luckily we had a reservation.

We had beef short ribs and thinly sliced pork which we cooked on small grills right in our table and which were absolutely delicious. We were also served a crazy amount of unusual and mostly yummy small side dishes.

The service was typically Korean from my experience--efficient, to the point, and no frills or gratuitous brown nosing.

It's definitely not a place for people who are not adventurous eaters, or who are offended by different cultural styles. It's also not at all fancy.

We had a good time, enjoyed all of the food, and thought the prices were in line with both the quantity and quality.

We'll return.

• Visited February 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Average Food; Poor Service; Better Choices Elsewhere”
Reviewed September 13, 2009

Compared to other Korean Restaurants, just average at best. On the plus side, they use real wood charcoal for BBQing the meats, and lots of panchans. On the negative, the panchans were not particularly spicy or interesting. Most dissappointing was the Service, which as is often the case at Korean restaurants, we were treated as something less than desired guests, not being Korean. They paid no attention to us whatsoever, no refill of water until we flagged someone down, no offer to replentish the panchans, no offer of assistance with the BBQ (not that we needed it, but novices would have) -- and, all this even after we displayed our affinity for Korean by ordering Soju (and, even by name -- Jinro SoJu). Much prefer KangNam, as our favorite Korean

Plainfield, IL
“The Best Korean Side Dishes.”
Reviewed August 19, 2009

I'll give a mixed review to this one. First of all the parking space is small but you can get a spot for sure. They open late I think until 4 A.M. ? Divided booths that provide a little bit of privacy. Serving Kirin Beer which is great. I forgot the Korean name of what we ordered but it's marinated beef for BBQueing. The BEST part is when the waitress served different small side dishes in front of you. Although she dropped those saucers like a group of drunk aliens landing on your table, the combination of different colors and textures is so appetizing. Then the main aircraft came in, a plate of marinated beef and a container filled with live charcoal. Be very watchful if you have kids trying to join the fun 'cause they wont refund your money if someone's get burned.
THE WAIT IS NOT BAD.
THE SERVICE IS PATHETIC.
THE FOOD IS SO GOOOOOOOD.
THE PRICE IS REASONABLE.
THE ATMOSPHERE IS VERY BBQUEY.