“The BEST BYOB”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating
Chicago, Illinois
“The BEST BYOB”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We've eaten there many times and never had a bad meal. Some favorites are the shrimp chipolte, carne asada and tilapia verde. However, there ceviche is likely the best in the US ... if not the world.

The staff is friendly and accommodating ... and the prices are very reasonable.

• Visited November 2012

Portland, Oregon
“Excellent, home-cooked Mexican food”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I've been here many times and the Carne Panela with green tomatillo sauce, pan seared Panela cheese, black beans, and shredded radish slaw is always delicious. The service staff is friendly and truly cares about your experience. BYOB with a small corkage fee.

• Visited November 2012
orange county, ca
“Yummy Flautas!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This BYOB spot was really cool. We brought our own wine in. This was my first time experiencing a byob restaurant. The food was good and I would def go back! Cute date spot and to go with friends!

• Visited October 2012
“More authentic Mexican dishes next to the American favorites like quesadillas all done wonderfully”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I've been to Los Nopales twice and in both occasions I had an excellent experience.
First visit I had a tilapia al mojo de ajo which was tender and moist. The sauce was balanced an the portions are as well.
On my second visit I again ordered seafood huachinango a la velacruxana, the fish was cooked whole with head and fin however it was still slightly dry, the tomato and olive sauce was well balanced and covered up the dryness.
Overall there is a good choice of dishes, the kitchen and dining rooms are clean an have a friendly and helpful staff.
Very well priced for the quality offered

Chicago, IL
“Mixed experiences at this neighborhood spot”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My husband and I have tried Los Nopales on various occasions and have had different dining experiences. Sometimes the food has been good. Most recently, the element of salt played a major role in our meals. The average-tasting tilapia tacos I had presented no specific flavor on the tongue with the exception of salt. They were way too salty, a little too oily, and not saucy enough. Papacitos on Lincoln Avenue has far superior fish tacos. My husband ordered beans, rice and tortillas, which he also complained about as being salty. He also had me sample his side order of guacamole, and it almost tasted as if it were half salt/half avocado. I have to say that it was the worst guacamole I ever had -- spoiled by salt. We told the waiter about the salt issue and he seemed surprised. Both he and another waitress had come to table quite often throughout the meal offering water. Maybe there was a reason. Our son, on the other hand, enjoyed a large bowl of chicken soup and didn't find it over salted. He felt a little under the weather and said the soup was soothing and comforting. Other than that, I think this may be the last time we head into Los Nopales.

• Visited August 2012