“Excellent steak!”

Transit: CTA Green line train - Canal St. stop
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Excellent steak!”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

This one is hard to really rate.... it was a fine steakhouse, but it was just laking the pizzazz that I thought it would have. The service was top notch though. I had the filet, twice baked potato (which I LOVE that they have this!) I also had the s'mores dessert. All and all it was a great meal. The desserts are really fun but for the price tag they could beef them up a bit. Like the Cloud dessert (which is adorable) it could have good ice cream cones. Instead they are quite strange. We did enjoy our S'more choice though.

• Visited September 2012

“Good food, lacking service”
Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

I have not been to N9ne for a few years. On a Friday night the place was only quarter full at the most, not how I used to see it in the past.

The waiter was very polite and helpful. However, from the moment we ordered our food things went down the hill. The problems began with the bread - it was stale, I asked to get us some fresh bread, they brought another bucket - it was stale again, oh well. The food was very good, can't complain there, but the service was amiss - when the steaks were brought there were no knives, I had to call the waiter to get us some knives. Then we finished our drinks but the waiter was nowhere to be found, so we never had a chance to order another round, oh well.

During the whole meal of at least an hour the waiter never stopped by to check on us and to see if we needed anything else - call me a pretentious New Yorker but is not that something expected at a place that charges a reasonable amount of money for food? With a place virtually empty I would expect more attention. At the same time there was a baseball game playing on tv in the lounge and the waiters were loitering there checking the scores. Seriously?!

Overall, despite the good food and nice ambiance the experience was somewhat disappointing. Won't be back unless they get their act together.

1 Thank Vlad V
Mount Prospect, Illinois
“I love this place”
Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

I've been here many times and simply love this place.
Itheir lobter bisque and the filet mignon are awesome, prices are not outrageous, inside of the restaurant is very modern.

London, United Kingdom
“One of the best for food and service in Chicago”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I've been here a number of times and it always makes for great evening. The staff actually know about wines, and provide exemplary service. As a rather stylish venue, its not massively expensive, and has a decent fairly unpretentious clientele. Each time i have been with guests they have raved about the steaks, (and I am in agreement). They do a dessert which incorporates candyfloss (aka cotton candy) - worth forgoing appetizers to save room : )

• Visited August 2012
Chicago
“Lost Its Energy, But Not The Great Food!”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

It has been five years since I had dinner at N9ne’s Steakhouse, although I used to dine there with some frequency. During every one of my prior visits I took note of the tremendous energy in the restaurant, but not this visit. The place was half empty on a Friday night, while I recall waiting for a table even with a reservation in the past. Outdoor sidewalk and roof top dining is obviously killing their summer business, but our waiter assured us their crowds are as vibrant as ever October through June. Oh well.

The cocktails were overpriced and weak, and the wine glasses less than half full, but I quickly got over being disgruntled when the appetizer “FRITTOMISTO” was served—Artichokes, Green Beans and Baby Carrots, deep fried in a VERY light tempura batter served with an outstanding Crème Fraiche Aioli dipping sauce. The Lobster Bisque was served with a generous portion of Maine lobster, and cognac, chives and crème fraiche.

The main courses reminded me why I opted to dine there for a family birthday. Surf & Turf – An 8 oz Fillet Mignon with ½ a Maine Lobster with perfectly prepared medium-rare steak, and not overcooked lobster, was reasonably priced at $56. However, the Béarnaise and Red Wine Sauces were both far too bitter. I would also pass on the overrated Garlic Steak Fries side dish, but the grilled Asparagus is an absolute must try menu item! Another “must have” were the Double Cut Lamb Chops – 3 double chops again served a perfectly prepared medium rare – for $40! Best value on the menu. The most interesting dessert was the Smores prepared in the traditional manner: you roast your own marsh mellows tableside over a sterno, and then prepare your chocolate graham cracker sandwich. Hmmm? Very interesting. The Carrot Cake was moist and an exceedingly generous portion, and the Crème Brulee – WOW was it good! The Chocolate Sorbet was, well, also very interesting, but good. All in all, 4 stars out of 5 is my rating.

Ps. Don’t go during the summer months!

• Visited August 2012