“Ripped off at Best Western”

Best Western Plus Hawthorne Terrace Hotel
Ranked #52 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed January 28, 2007

I booked one night stay online. Two consecutive nights were booked. I stayed the first night and checked out. I was billed for two nights. Management rejected my request for credit and were totally unsympathetic. I will not return to this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank JPTCleveland
Write a ReviewReviews (1,017)

Reviewed December 24, 2006

I visit Chicago often and have stayed at numerous hotels, but our stay at the BWHT was fantastic. The hotel is cute, quant and in a great location. There are many fabulous resturants and shops near by (Equinox is one of my favorites). The staff was overly friendly and enthusastic, Michael suggested some fun things to do and see while we were there. All of his ideas were fresh and entertaining. I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a clean and friendly place to stay. By the way, the commplimentary cinnamon rolls in the morning are a yummy way to start off your day.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jennybody
Reviewed December 13, 2006

Great location...10 mins to the subway / EL trains...walking distance to Wrigley stadium & the gay scene.

Staff....nice

Complimentary breakfast.... basic...Starbucks is down the street.

Rooms...clean, we were given a smoking room, when i had booked a non-smoking room online, but after a little complaining the cleaning staff did a good job cleaning the carpets and upholstery the next morning.

Prices: good for what you get... you can pay twice as much in Chicago with not much more service to show for it.

I would stay there again :)

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled with friends
2  Thank greekprince
Reviewed November 29, 2006

I always try to stay here when I visit Chicago, even though weekends have a two-night minimum. Walk 2 blocks down Roscoe to N. Halsted, which has some great gay clubs. Broadway between Roscoe and Belmont is very quaint, lots of small shops and restaurants. It's a nice walk.

If you have a car it's a short drive to N. Michigan Ave and the museums. Parking at the garage next door is convenient, but remember to keep your ticket stub from the front desk, as you will need it to go in and out.

The only suggestion is to avoid rooms next to the elevator, unless you want to hear dinging sounds all night. They couldn't turn it down, so the manager moved us to another room.

Don't expect much of a view unless you're on the top floor.

The breakfast is decent with your typical pastries, bagels, and cereal. If you're looking for things to do, there are brochures and local papers in the lobby.

The staff is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 8, 2006

Really quite disappointing. The staff seemed unavailable and distant. There was confusion about the rate I had booked online. The rooms were stale smelling, and not the cleanest. The free breakfast consisted of old muffins, some rolls, and bagels. I expressed my disdain to the manager at the end of our stay, and the impression I got was, "too bad." This hotel essentially runs itself, because of its extremely prime location. The staff doesn't need to put much effort into pleasing the guest, because it will always be solidly booked. You're better off to go off a few miles further south into the downtown area where there is a heavier hospitality competition, and each hotel WANTS to ensure that they get repeat business from you.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MicMarta
bwht, General Manager at Best Western Plus Hawthorne Terrace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Hi MicMarta,

I noticed this review from several years ago. We appreciate that you stayed with us then however I see your stay was not up to expectations. Since that time, we have gone through an extensive renovation and added suites to our hotel.

Since you took the time to write these comments, please contact me next time you are coming to Chicago. I promise your next stay will make our hotel your new favorite place to stay. Thank you for staying with us and have a great day!

Best regards,

Jerry LoProto
Best Western Plus Hawthorne Terrace
ph: (773) 634-8500
email: jerry.loproto@hawthorneterrace.com

Reviewed October 6, 2006

Nice big room if a little chintzy.Very large bed . Fridge in room and good sized bathroom.
Free continental breakfast( coffe, juice, bagels) available in the hotel lobby.
Great location for nightlife ( particularly Halsted gay scene) and good restaurants.
A little bit of a hike to the EL(metro), but enjoyable to walk through this lively nighbourhood. Would recomend.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ed05
Reviewed September 18, 2006

We made our reservastions on line with a non-smoking preference. We checked into the hotel and proceeded to our room. The room we were given was a smoking room. The maid was in the hall and offered to contact the front desk to get our room changed. We were informed that all the non-smoking rooms where taken and they would try to move us the next day. The next day we were informed that a non-smoking room was still not availabe. We saw another maid in the hall and requested she completely strip down the bed and sanitize our room. The maid did so which made our second night stay bearable. However, we did not stay our thrid night as intended. Just remember at this hotel a non-smoking preference does not get you a non-smoking room.

Stayed: August 2006
9  Thank SunnySpot
bwht, General Manager at Best Western Plus Hawthorne Terrace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Hi SunnySpot,

I noticed this review from several years ago. Your comments addressed a negative experience at our hotel. We would love the opportunity to serve you again as we have under gone an extensive renovation and added suites. At the beginning of 2014, our property will be 100% non-smoking which I see was your main concern during your last stay.

If you choose to use us again, I promise you a better experience and would be honored by the opportunity. If you are interested please contact me and I will make sure your stay gets the personal attention that it deserves. If you have any questions or concerns, let me know. Thank you for staying with us and have a great day!

Best regards,