“The only thing that could make this better, is if they gave you a kitten at check-in”

Best Western Plus Hawthorne Terrace Hotel
Ranked #50 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed at Best Western Plus Hawthorne Terrace on October 19-22, 2012. This was my second stay. This isn't a stuffy hotel, where the staff is unapproachable. Let me say, I called the hotel about a month before the stay, to see if there were any less expensive rates available. Ken answered, and was so friendly, witty, and personable. He gave me a great rate. My boyfriend and I stayed in the annex, in a junior suite. Check-in was fast and friendly. Every morning, breakfast is provided. It typically consists of: pastries, biscuits, oat meal, eggs, and sausage. Juice and coffee are provided. The rooms are very clean, spacious, and pretty. Although, the beds are a little hard. The bathrooms are spacious, and the toiletries smell great.The housekeepers are typically smiling. It's eerie how friendly this place is. Hehe.

The area is awesome. It's located in Lakeview/Boystown. There is a great bar up the street called Jacqueline's, that is a little whole in the wall, but the bartender was great, attentive, and friendly. A restaurant that I particularly loved, was called, (I believe) The Melrose. It's a diner type place, with a great grilled cheese. Most of the restaurants are BYOB (bring your own bottle), so keep that in mind, if you're wanting wine or beer with dinner. There are tons of shops, you're just a few blocks away from the CTA Red line. Also, the neighborhood offers a great walk.

There was a minor hiccup after check-out, but I won't go into that. I don't want that to detract from the review of the hotel. But, I will say this: the staff at this hotel went out of their way to correct the mistake, and even through that, I will return to this hotel. Accountability, friendly and smart service speak volumes to me. I won't stay anywhere else in Chicago, besides Best Western Hawthorne Terrace. It's economical, clean, convenient, and awesome. If they handed out kittens at check-in, only then, would it be better. ;)

Room Tip: I really enjoy staying in the annex. The windows open (not sure if this is the case in the main buil...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Candace S

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We were disappointed that a huge conference had all the downtown hotels booked. This hotel was the most affordable we could find within a few miles of most major attractions. What a wonderful surprise! We fell in love with neighborhood, and the Best Western is extremely pleasant, too. I especially liked the excellent Fitness Room, friendly and knowledgeable staff, and the patio along Broadway, but a delightful place to sit [for either breakfast or relaxing] because it's separated by tall hedges and feels private. Breakfast really is basic, but convenient, and in good weather -- al fresco. The room was fine, nothing elaborate but we were quite comfortable.
I'll stay here anytime I'm in Chicago because of the location. 1 long scenic block from Lincoln Park and the Lake. Great for jogging, biking, walking, boat-watching, picnic. We discovered several nearby buses that frequently go anywhere of interest, scenically. A 10-minute walk to Red Line at Addison [next to Wrigley Field] or to Belmont where several lines converge, were also very handy.
Close to lots of restaurants on busy Halstead Street, and the outstanding Ann Sather, right across the street, provided an outstanding lunch one day. A nice supermarket is two doors away.
My last Chicago trip was for a conference, and I stayed at the outstanding Hotel Monaco right at the River. But for vacations, I prefer to be a mile or two from any central tourist area, so I can see how "real people" live in the city I'm visiting. And this Best Western was perfect for our preference. If you don't need to be downtown and want to get the feel of an actual neighborhood, I recommend it highly.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank carly5
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We wanted to stay in a northern neighborhood and this fit our needs. Red line is within walking distance and there are plenty of buses. Near Wrigleyville. Rooms were clean and staff was helpful. Breakfast was basic continental ( the cinnamon rolls come from a restaurant down the block and are especially tasty). Only complaint was that there is very limited seating for breakfast (we ended up eating at the computer desk one morning). Overall good stay and I would stay again---although not if I planned to spend the majority of my time in the loop/ Michigan Ave area because it takes a good half hour by transit.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We were in town for Dave Matthews Band concerts and Hawthorne Terrace was the perfect place! I booked a 2-bedroom suite and, can't imagine staying anywhere else.. At first it seemed strange to stay in the annex building(next to the main hotel) but I soon loved it for the private entrance, and ease to our room. The building is actually apartments converted to suites. It was very spacious and comfortable with a kitchenette, dining table(plate service for 4), and couch with tv. The temperature in our room was consistently just right, much appreciated during the chilly, rainy weather happening outside. Once the sun appeared we went out walking to all the shops nearby. There seemed to be a number of restaurants on the street too. This hotel is ultra convenient to Wrigley(about 5 blocks). The beds were incredibly comfortable as well! Continental breakfast is served until 10 AM in a private, little area. I hope to be in the area again to return!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank dmbfan322
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Real surprise to come to this boutique hotel, downtown, happy neighbourhood, not so crowded, and most of all a lovely clean room. The hotel has such nice friendly staff, from the help that sets the breakfast, to Suzy who manages the front desk, everyone seems to want to help and make your stay happy.
Its a central location, lovely restaurants round the corner, and a 4 minute walk takes you to the shore front. Enjoyed my time here, and I stayed for 8 days.

Room Tip: I have a suite facing the road, which I love
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Indurao
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I only stayed in this area of Chicago because I was attending a theater event nearby and planned to go to Wrigley. I say that because it is a very openly gay area and I was quite uncomfortable with the hand-holding, etc., on the streets. However, the hotel was excellent. Had a double room/suite on the fourth floor (Room 421, I think). It had beautiful hardwood floors, a dividing wall for my traveling companion to have privacy, a walk-in tiled shower with glass door that was such a treat (I hate stepping into tubs) and was high enough above street level to sleep with the windows open and enjoy the fresh air. We both absolutely loved it. Most of the reviews I read in advance were right on the money. It was a quick walk to Wrigley and the red line. It was convenient to a lot of good places to eat. You do have to do the separate entrance thing but that was no big deal. They held our luggage until check-in time so we could enjoy the day. We did not eat breakfast there so I don't know how that compares but it did seem like a pretty small meal area so I'm guessing it was basic continental. In the past, I have stayed at the downtown Hilton and it was quite the opposite in terms of size. But this place gets my vote in terms of everything else. Oh, and the bed was fabulous, too.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less street noise and you can enjoy the fresh air.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Christine W
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Paying $560 for two nights we would have expected to get a better overall service. Breakfast area in the reception are and staying in a smoking room was not what we anticipated.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Reto B